2011 Sportwagon steering wheel shimmy at 70 mph

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Have a shimmy in steering wheel around 70 mph. Have had tires balanced twice and no change. No change when I turn right or left and load either side. Have read it could be control arm bushings. One other thing, while cruising around 48 mph yesterday about 1750 rpms motor shuddered a little and seemed to need a little throttle. Increased speed to 50 and no shutter. Later in the day at 45-48 motor was smooth. Two different issues but figured I d ask. Otherwise car seems good since fix.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can balance unround tires or bent wheels. They'll still have a vibration.

Short of actually WATCHING it on the machine (or doing a road force balance, if the machine has that) it is tough to say.

Did the issue change at the last tire rotation?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you have biolines on the car they're notorious for bending. And most tire balancing shops ignore this and just balance the tires.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That's what I mean, you can balance something that is shaped like an egg. It'll still feel the same as something that is round but out of balance. You won't be able to tell the difference from the driver's seat.

If in doubt, stand next to the guy spinning the wheel/tire on the balancer. It isn't rocket science (like, not at all, rockets don't have wheels), just watch it spinning around.