Prescott, AZ

eldar11

TDI
2003 MkIV Golf GLS TDI
I'm currently in Prescott, soon to be elsewhere though.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'm considering moving to Prescott. How is the climate, crime rate, housing prices, tax burden for retirees? I did spend a couple of days there back July 2012 but it wasn't enough time to get a good feel for the area.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'm retired. I only came back to California when I retired from the USAF back in 1990 because my parents were still here. I retired full time back in 2008. My father is gone but my Mom turned 94 this year. However, once she is gone then there is no reason to stay here. I figured it would be too hot down around Phoenix/Tucson, I was considering the Flagstaff area but I had my fill of snow when I lived in Colorado, so the Prescott area looked "not too cold, not too hot, just right".

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Sorry to be slow in responding. Been distracted fixing my car and with other things.

I moved from SoCal to Tempe AZ when I was 8 and spent my entire adult life in the "east Valley". I always thought I would move to Payson or Prescott when I retired. As you stated, Flag is too cold and Prescott is more temperate at a couple thousand feet lower elevation.

Payson and Pinetop/Lakeside are also in the 6k elevation, so similar. Payson has some water supply issues so bear that in mind. As I get older I am leaning more toward 4k elevation like Cottonwood or Sierra Vista. I handle the heat better than the cold. I may also keep a condo here for the winter and just travel in the 3 hot months.

I recently visited with a friend who had moved to Durango in retirement. He recommended renting in a perspective place and trying several places until you find where you want to settle. Obviously, there is some risk if you are out of the real estate market during a period of appreciation.

In your case you need to at least come visit for longer than a couple of days.

Like you, I have elder care issues that will keep me here for a while. Although I suppose I can take them with me if I move, my Mom has respiratory issues and I don't think she can take the high elevation.

Last edited:

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
I'm retired. I only came back to California when I retired from the USAF back in 1990 because my parents were still here. I retired full time back in 2008. My father is gone but my Mom turned 94 this year. However, once she is gone then there is no reason to stay here. I figured it would be too hot down around Phoenix/Tucson, I was considering the Flagstaff area but I had my fill of snow when I lived in Colorado, so the Prescott area looked "not too cold, not too hot, just right".
Check out Cottonwood. It is nice there.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I lived in prescott from 07 to 12 never had a tdi while I lived there though. I was rocking an 87 1.8t black.