request for local help, air in fuel line, no start

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Hi All,

I know I haven't met most of you since I haven't been able to make it to most GTGs. I'm in a bit of a pickle since this is our only car and I had to have it towed home last night after a bit of sputtering on the freeway and then the engine stalling with air in the fuel line. I don't have the tools or the knowledge necessary, and Matt can't get to me this week. I could tow it all the way to Harv, but would like to avoid that if necessary as I live in Santa Monica and we'd be carless. Here's my situation:

1) I had run the fuel tank down to about 1.5 gallons remaining in the tank (for me, about 685 miles). This is the lowest its ever been with me.
2) I refueled with B99 as usual (its been on mostly 50-100% biodiesel for the past 12k miles), venting to the brim with 15.5 gallons.
3) Left the fueling station, drove a few miles and got on freeway.
4) On the on ramp, decided to "italian tune" the car revving in 3rd gear, but noticed sudden sputter and loss of power when it hit 4k rpm.
5) However, it continued to drive mostly fine as I kept it around 2-2.5k rpm on the freeway, though I noticed a few sputters if I tried to push it.
6) As I got off the freeway 17 miles later and pulled off, the car sputtered and died as I rolled into a parking spot.
7) Popped the hood and discovered 2" bubble of air in fuel line.
7) Car turns but will not start.

VCDS returns the following error code:
1 Fault Found:
17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation
P1248 - 35-00 - Control Deviation

My thoughts: Could it be as simple as a blocked up fuel filter or bad gasket on the filter? Do you think the low tank kicked up some gunk that blocked my fuel sender or filter? Why would the problem not happen until after filling the tank, though? Does the "italian tune-up" have anything to do with why this happened at that moment (I've done plenty in the past with no incident)?

If anyone is around and able to come to Santa Monica, I would greatly appreciate it. I am willing to pay for competent help to get this thing running again.

Thanks all.
Shady

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
How long have you been running Bio? If that is new have you already changed the fuel filter? I would guess that you're looking more so at the fuel lines being weakened by running biodiesel as this can happen sometimes. Since your car has been towed home, are there any new wet spots underneath?

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I have newer viton hose. No leaks that I could see. Filter changed by Matt with last oil change at 80k, about 6k after starting on bio.

On the tow truck to Harviex in Whittier now. Too many potential issues and not enough time or expertise to troubleshoot.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Miles, check out my other thread. I responded there. I won't know what is wrong with my IP without a full rebuild from DFIS. Harv says he can pull fuel through it and got it started once, but he doesn't know what is wrong with it. It has no leaks.