www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:25   #1
tausc82
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Exton, PA
Default Key Fob Removal Difficulty

I have a 2013 Touareg TDI with about 65K miles. I love the car for many reasons, however, many times it is difficult to remove the key fob after shutting the engine off. I will have to restart the car and try again. Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 restarts. Crazy. My wife hates to take the car for this very reason.
I was curious if others have encountered the problem? If so, any suggested solutions? I'm sure a new ignition will not be cheap. Thanks.
tausc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 11:49   #2
DivineChaos
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: land of 10,000 lakes
Default

was it a recut key? does the other key also do this? could be a number of things, 2 come to mind. the park switch (key will never come out if the switch goes bad) try fiddling with the shifter. if auto. or the blade has a lil nub at the end making removal hard. it depends if the key comes back all the way to the lock.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 13:56   #3
Savageman69
Veteran Member
 
Savageman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
was it a recut key? does the other key also do this? could be a number of things, 2 come to mind. the park switch (key will never come out if the switch goes bad) try fiddling with the shifter. if auto. or the blade has a lil nub at the end making removal hard. it depends if the key comes back all the way to the lock.
its not a key it uses the fob.



you are just turning the key fob quickly to right, once off just pull straight out? i dont use mine as i have push to start but it is a bit finicky to get use to
__________________
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Delete Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - Stage 3 Tune - 32 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Coolers Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 09:57   #4
tausc82
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Exton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
its not a key it uses the fob.
you are just turning the key fob quickly to right, once off just pull straight out? i dont use mine as i have push to start but it is a bit finicky to get use to
Thanks. Sometimes is's fine. Today, twice, no problem. It does seem like the little tabs on the fob are a bit rough. I will try the other fob which I thought was a good idea too.

I usually pull the ring the fob is attached to. When I pull on the fob directly it seems less likely to come out.

Will try the other fob and report back.....
tausc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:28   #5
Radman
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Montreal
Default

Try lightly lubricating the ignition switch maybe?
__________________
2014 Audi A6 TDI, Unitronic Tuned
2014 Touareg TDI, Unitronic Tuned
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 05:05   #6
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Default

Try waiting a few seconds before you remove the key. That helped with our Touareg. If you pull it out immediately, it sticks. Wait 5-10 seconds and it works fine.
__________________

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 06:58   #7
tausc82
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Exton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
Try waiting a few seconds before you remove the key. That helped with our Touareg. If you pull it out immediately, it sticks. Wait 5-10 seconds and it works fine.
Wow, I'll try that. Thanks.
tausc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 07:04   #8
tausc82
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Exton, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausc82 View Post
Thanks. Sometimes is's fine. Today, twice, no problem. It does seem like the little tabs on the fob are a bit rough. I will try the other fob which I thought was a good idea too.
I usually pull the ring the fob is attached to. When I pull on the fob directly it seems less likely to come out.
Will try the other fob and report back.....
I tried the other key fob and the battery was dead. Unable to easily open the cover to get to the battery I went to the VW dealership. I met with the parts guy who said they can be tricky.

While there I asked if others have problems removing the key fob from the ignition. He said sometimes the two tabs in the ignition that hold the fob in place can get worn or not release the key easily. He said it's expensive to replace that ignition.

I'm going to try to bobbiemartin's advice, wait 5-10 seconds before removing. Thanks.
tausc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key fob dead sometimes, unlock with key, fob works again DEZLBOY VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 10 August 30th, 2015 18:25
deAutoKey.com//New Key FOB shell/New Programmed Key/Diesel Fuel Only Keychain + more deAutoLED.com Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale 43 April 3rd, 2013 15:52
Key fob emblem removal? one.nine General VW Discussion 2 June 2nd, 2008 15:51
Key Fob battery removal? triggerman VW B5 Passat TDIs 7 May 1st, 2008 02:04
WTB: Key FOB or Valet Key (#HLO 1J0 959 753 F) olywafox Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted 6 June 28th, 2007 15:32


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16283 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 85.98 Kb. compressed to 74.30 Kb. by saving 11.67 Kb. (13.58%)]