www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:07   #1
Jetdi Knight

Fuel Economy: 287 Km's on 12 liters
Default beetle to jetta parts interchange?

hey guys- looks like I am going to replace my 2002 tdi jetta with a 1999 tdi beetle. Are the engines a direct interchange? What about the trannys? Can I take the intake manifold off of my banged up jetta and clean it up and install it on that beetle to minimze downtime?

BTW, what milage drop is there to be expected between a 2002 jetta and a 99 beetle assuming both are stock?

As always thank you knidly to the veedub community, you guys beat carfax anyday!!!
Jetdi Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 20:55   #2
samuraitd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdi Knight View Post
hey guys- looks like I am going to replace my 2002 tdi jetta with a 1999 tdi beetle. Are the engines a direct interchange? What about the trannys? Can I take the intake manifold off of my banged up jetta and clean it up and install it on that beetle to minimze downtime?

BTW, what milage drop is there to be expected between a 2002 jetta and a 99 beetle assuming both are stock?

As always thank you knidly to the veedub community, you guys beat carfax anyday!!!
are you swapping engines or swapping cars? they are both alh engines i think,
Old March 31st, 2013, 14:23   #3
Jetdi Knight

Fuel Economy: 287 Km's on 12 liters

I replaced my written off 2002 jetti TDI with a 1999 Beetle TDI. I am most likely going to end up with my 02 jetta and am wondering if all of the engine parts are interchangeable... ie. can I take the intake manifold off of the jetta and clean it out and bolt it on to the beetle? what about pump parts if needed? I will probably keep the engine and trans and try to resale some parts out of the rest of the jetta if there is intrest but I gotta finalize with the insurance first.
Jetdi Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 15:30   #4
wandlc
Veteran Member

I had the opposite of you 4 years ago, totaled Beetle bought 02 Jetta to replace the Beetle. I have used many parts from the Beetle on my Jetta. I actually like how the hoses were run on the Beetle and used the parts to run the same in my Jetta.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 15:32   #5
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

The basic engines and transmissions are very similar, but the auxiliary pieces - intake air hoses and shifting linkages - are different.

The shifting mechanism on the 2002 is far easier to live with (and adjust) than the 1999, so you may wish to strip out the entire shifting mechanism - which includes the shifter box inside the cabin, as well as the cables and transmission from the 2002.

Good luck,

Yuri

Quando omni flunkus moritati

ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 19:43   #6
Jetta2000tdi

Default Beetle/jetta parts compatability

I was wondering if the front hubs with the bearing from a 2000 beetle will work on a 2000 jetta tdi
Jetta2000tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 20:00   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta2000tdi View Post
I was wondering if the front hubs with the bearing from a 2000 beetle will work on a 2000 jetta tdi
a good way to tell is to look up both parts online and compare the part numbers. if they are different part numbers, then, no... they will not work, not with out a lot of work usually. thanks for reviving a 7 year old thread for that. Right as VW has officially just made it legit that the bug is no longer going to be made. Kinda like the McRib.... oh god i need one right now...
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 20:10   #8
Jetta2000tdi

Mcribs were ok but do u remember the mini pizzas? Lol thats gonna make u feel old, but yes thanks for the info ill get looking right now, i appreciate your quick reply.��
Old January 14th, 2020, 20:18   #9
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

yes i do, i had a McRib this last fall. they are just as horible as they were back in 90's tasteless pressed fiberboard covered is poor mans bbq
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 20:24   #10
Jetta2000tdi

Checked online at autozone website and same part number for the jetta and beetle, thanks again for your help i appreciate it very much
Old January 15th, 2020, 04:56   #11
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Engine, front and rear suspension, transmission, almost every part under the hood with the exception of some hoses and the radiator might be smaller, I’m not sure on that one. Lots of parts to be used.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote