www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old July 9th, 2019, 05:54   #1
redstar24

TDI(s): 2013
Default After buy back issues ...

I purchased a used 2013 Jetta TDI from a local dealer recently. Previously, he had bought it after the VW buy back and reprogram of the emissions system. For the first week, the car ran well .. was getting great mpg, drove like the great German car that it is. Then, it threw it's first codes (check engine and "glow plug light") ... we took it to the dealer, he checked the codes and ordered the sensor that it shown might be bad. After driving it for another week, both lights came back on and this time the diesel particulate light came on as well. After checking into it again, the car was sent to the local VW dealer (as this is warranty emissions work). The car has LITERALLY been at the dealer two weeks and we are starting to worry that maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Has anyone bought one of these after buyback cars and NOT had issues with all the emissions systems? I'm wondering now if its time to call this a lemon law car and get my money back.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Please note, we LOVE the car when its running correctly. This is the 3rd Jetta I've owned (5 cylinder, 1.8L GLI and now TDI). I'm a big fan of VW and what they've done, so don't think I'm just looking to discard the car for something else.
redstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 08:17   #2
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: 30

Picked up a 2012 last month and put around 1500 miles so far with no issues yet but it only has 15k on the odometer
CheapBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2019, 22:29   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Seems like you will not be eligible for lemon law due to the 2 year or 18k mile exclusion. They should be able to fix things though so it runs properly.
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:44   #4
calimustang
Veteran Member

Default After buy back issues ...

I bought my car thru buyback, 27k miles 2014 JSW.... from Sept 2018 to March 2019 5 HPFP
Failures and mechanic was like lets check gas tank and behold! MOLD!!!!! So they cleaned ip the fuel tank and replaced fuel filter and some parts and she runs beautiful ever since. So yours might be just the DPF failure. Let warranty cover it then you are golden.

How did the mold develop? 2 years of sitting after buyback from first owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:27   #5
soot1
Veteran Member

You probably know that there are a lot of parts on your TDI that are completely absent from your gasser VWs - HPFP, turbo (except the GLI), urea tank, urea heater, urea injector, DPF, vacuum pump (X GLI), NOX trap, etc, etc. Originally, some of those extra parts were designed with the cheating software in mind, i.e. they were designed to withstand only occasional use, but not continuous loading, as they should have been designed. The mandated fix then attempted to rectify this situation, but the jury is still out on the results. It is a totally different scenario when a design team is tasked with designing a new engine and its emission system for a vehicle that will go into production at some point in the future (the team has the freedom to make as many iterations as it sees fit), than when that same team has to make design changes to vehicles that are already on the road.

As I said earlier - the results are by no means unanimous. Some people are very unhappy with their post-fix cars, some are only partially happy, and some report no noticeable changes in the behavior of their fixed car. However, one unquestionable fact about the Dieselgate is that only a small fraction of all TDI owners opted to have their vehicles fixed and continue driving them. The rest of us were lured by VW to give them up. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my personal motivation was twofold - besides the financial benefit, I also considered the huge unknown of what will the vehicle be like if I have it fixed, and pretty much everyone knew even before the repairs began that either the fuel economy, or the performance, or the reliability, or any combination thereof, would be impacted negatively.

I, too, used to be a huge VW fan, but as time went by, my enthusiasm for the brand began fading. Long time ago, among other things, all VWs were made of parts produced exclusively in Germany, and were assembled in Germany as well. Nowadays, you are lucky if you can get 35% German parts content in a brand new car with final assembly point of Puebla, Mehiko. You can bet that vast majority of the remaining 65% of components are made - you guessed it - in China. That's one reason why I am now a lot more skeptical about VW than I used to be.
soot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 13:21   #6
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Buyback deeply appreciated by this sailor..........de facto we had our 2013 JSW TDI for close to five years - 50k, VW/Bosch provided the same $$$ - after those circa 5 years - as the original purchase price (tax, license, dork fee excepted!!!

Therefore, i stuck with VW (however no more HPFP, DPF et al ad nauseam......).

Surprisingly, the TSI 1.4 turbo/5M - at 23,000 per Fuelly - is calculating right at 90% of the wagon's fuel numbers over 50,000 miles.

No issues. Rock bottom pricing (VW is trying to crawl out of a hole, duh!)

ez

Last edited by ezshift5; July 10th, 2019 at 13:23.
ezshift5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2020, 09:09   #7
redstar24

TDI(s): 2013

I just wanted to follow up on my original post, I had the issue resolved by VW under Dieselgate extended warranty. Within the last month the check engine light was on again, took it back to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body under warranty.

As an aside, during the last visit they found that. Other front springs, mounts and bearings were bad ... $1,100 estimate to fix. I passed on that offer and had them replaced by my buddy for $450. He bought the spring/strut unit from Carquest. Is the spring issue common? Could be from the extra weight of the TDI? (2013 Jetta)

redstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2020, 09:20   #8
calimustang
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar24 View Post
I just wanted to follow up on my original post, I had the issue resolved by VW under Dieselgate extended warranty. Within the last month the check engine light was on again, took it back to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body under warranty.

As an aside, during the last visit they found that. Other front springs, mounts and bearings were bad ... $1,100 estimate to fix. I passed on that offer and had them replaced by my buddy for $450. He bought the spring/strut unit from Carquest. Is the spring issue common? Could be from the extra weight of the TDI? (2013 Jetta)

Being north east car, yes its common for the springs to rust and go bad. My old 2011 JSW being Florida car all 8 years and racked 300k miles and still in perfect condition. Now I have an 2014 JSW TDI from NJ and no rust so far...... keeping a close eye on rear lower control arm, has some rust. She had 20k miles when I got her last year and now 65k miles.

Old January 2nd, 2020, 07:14   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Hope it wasn't a quick strut from Carquest - I hate those horrible things. There is a reason why they are cheaper.

Jason
Old January 13th, 2020, 19:01   #10
Indy767

I wish I had read your post before I decided to keep our 2013 Passat TDI. Loved the car so I decided to keep it, but in July 2019 the check engine light came on with a code no one seemed to understand (P100600). VW recommended flushing the fuel tank, lines, and replacing the fuel filter. It's now January 2020 and the lights on again and VW wants to flush the fuel lines again. $800. last time and $400 this time. Seems to me they have a never ending excuse of bad fuel. Beginning to wonder what I have gotten myself into?
Indy767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 20:07   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Are you tuned by chance? Who gave you that code number? I would find someone with VCDS and have them scan the car for you and post the full scan here. P1006 shows up in this thread:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397440

Last edited by Lightflyer1; January 13th, 2020 at 20:10.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 22:32   #12
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

fuel injector or compression issue?
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:22   #13
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I have seen exactly one Passat with that code. It has been a while, but I think we tried flushing fuel system, then replacing fuel injector, then something let go in the engine. I think it ended up being the rod bearings that were causing the problem and they took a while to fall apart.

If it was my car I may have tried cleaning, flushing, and replacing rod bearings, but under warranty that car got a new long block.

Jason
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:26   #14
calimustang
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I have seen exactly one Passat with that code. It has been a while, but I think we tried flushing fuel system, then replacing fuel injector, then something let go in the engine. I think it ended up being the rod bearings that were causing the problem and they took a while to fall apart.

If it was my car I may have tried cleaning, flushing, and replacing rod bearings, but under warranty that car got a new long block.

Jason

Yikes!