Car groans/whistles when going into 1st gear...

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
It did it even after the car warmed up the other day.

(have only driven it twice since then)

Sunday, the battery died. The car wouldn't crank over.. So I jump started the car. This is when it first happened.

I have no idea what it is, since it is more of a mechanical problem than electric.

But I was curious if any of you have had it happen.

it's 35 degrees F here today, so it's not nearly as cold as weather I have driven it in previously...

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
That sounds an awful lot like an alternator problem. If your battery is dead, that probably means that the alternator is shot. However, I can't tell you how to diagnose or test this hypothesis. Someone here will tell you.

My car also whines a bit when it's cold out, and I'm assuming it has to do with the alternator (as I've read on other threads).

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
If the alternator truly does make a sound under load, it could be that since my battery was low, it was working overtime, to charge it back up.

It quit doing it now again.

Tonight at the GTG, I had my car hooked up to a Vag-Com, and no fault codes were thrown, so I'm resting a little easier.

I never knew an alternator could make a low pitched whistle/groan type noise like that.

(this isn't the sound of a belt slipping.. more like the sound of a vaccuum line or something vacuum operated)

use your mouth, pucker, and whistle at a low pitch.

That's what it sounded like.

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
This just started Sunday.. When I shift into 1st gear and get rolling the car lets out a little whistle/groan type sound.

What could be the cause of this? It doesn't do it in other gears.

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I'm bumping this because my car did it again. (and i just bought a new battery which is holding a charge, about two weeks ago)

It seems that it happens when it's really cold (~ 10 degrees F)

As i let out the clutch and apply the fuel pedal, i get this low pitched, hollow whistle sound.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the alternator, slipping belts, etc.. it sounds like a whistle from the movement of air.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
just a thought, check the intake track. IE Airfilter and snowscreen. That and check the turbo hoses etc for loose or cracked hoses.

AndyH96Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, dark grey
If the alternator truly does make a sound under load, it could be that since my battery was low, it was working overtime, to charge it back up.

I never knew an alternator could make a low pitched whistle/groan type noise like that.
When an alternator dies, it makes a low moaning sound. Sounds like you've got a dead alternator. It's happened to me too many times...

-A

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI

When an alternator dies, it makes a low moaning sound. Sounds like you've got a dead alternator. It's happened to me too many times...

-A
It's not dead, persay.. The battery is still being charged up. The headlamps/fog lamps are bright as I drive down the road at night.

I'll try turning on the AC at night and looking for some noticible dimming of the lights...

The noise does not happen in any other gear than first. And it does not happen when it is above 15 degrees F.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
Could it be the clutch? My car used to make a groan/rubbing sound as I release the clutch from a stop. Once moving through the remaining gears, the noise is not present. Clutch did this for a couple of months. Whatever it was, it apparently fixed itself because it doesn't do it any more.