Minor Improvement - AHU MKII GTI gets BV43, Ralle FMIC etc...

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Excellent work! I like the fitment...and the pipes are really nice....

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Very true - and it's only making 20 psi right now - a very light task for the BV43
It does - I'm having some PCB's made to mount a 3 bar MAP in the ECU. I don't like anything currently available, and don't want to run wires for a MK4 MAP. Once it's done it will be time to make real use of the turbo and Rallye FMIC! :)
:D
Ironic, I need to do the same ;). I was going to scratch out a small PCB in the next couple of days for the

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Nice build, I really like the valve cover.
Thanks!

Excellent work! I like the fitment...and the pipes are really nice....
Thanks! I am trying to keep it as OEM looking as possible. No bling for me. :D

Ironic, I need to do the same ;). I was going to scratch out a small PCB in the next couple of days for the
I have a PCB layout almost entirely done - have been really busy at work though and have yet to get some fabbed.

Quick question on this. I'm having my mechanic instal the same Turbo on my mk3 Jetta, is it going to be safe to drive while I wait for my chips to come in the mail? Thanks! Odd question but I'm cramped for time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Having the mechanic install the same turbo on your MK3 Jetta? What's he doing about the downpipe? N75 valve? Turbo inlet pipe? Turbo-Interooler piping? And no, I wouldn't try to drive an 1z/AHU with stock tune and a VNT turbo.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
It was a GT1749VA.I thought I deleted that post after I noticed my mistake.. Anyway, everything is installed and I'm sorting out a limp mode issue. Do you have the N18 installed? I noticed your N75 is where the n18 usually is.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
I'm guessing your tuner deleted the n18 in the tune? My egr is also disabled. I tried to put my n75 right where you put yours and left the n18 sitting in my garage. I got a code and had to put the worthless thing back in.. O well..

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
I'm guessing your tuner deleted the n18 in the tune? My egr is also disabled. I tried to put my n75 right where you put yours and left the n18 sitting in my garage. I got a code and had to put the worthless thing back in.. O well..

Yes, it's all taken care of in the tune. :)

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine threw a cel so i slapped it back in. Thinking about getting the PD130 intake(need to change that gasket anyway) and larger nozzles put in, ill ask my tuner to nix the N18 while dialing the nozzles in. The bay looks so much cleaner without the N18.

60mpg to boot? You car has to be a blast to drive Franken. How is the mileage after the VNT?

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Franken - Have you made any more progress? I'm curious what you think about the setup so far.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine threw a cel so i slapped it back in. Thinking about getting the PD130 intake(need to change that gasket anyway) and larger nozzles put in, ill ask my tuner to nix the N18 while dialing the nozzles in. The bay looks so much cleaner without the N18.

60mpg to boot? You car has to be a blast to drive Franken. How is the mileage after the VNT?
Sounds like you have it figured out. :)

Franken - Have you made any more progress? I'm curious what you think about the setup so far.

Still waiting on nozzles... :eek: I also need to find the time to wrap up my MAP sensor board and get them fabbed. I'm 98% done with that...

I have been having a blast driving it - the initial tune Mike set up for me is working out quite well There a bit of an overboost just after 2K rpm, but only if WOT from below 1600 or so in 4th & 5th. It runs very well though ans I don't care to mess with the tune until the nozzles arrive and I get some good logs. It will need more attention once the new MAP sensor board is done and we can up the boost from 20 to 24 or so PSI.

I added a late MK4 shift tower, box, and cables to it recently. It shifts much better now.

It has been getting me to work reliably since the turbo swap, and I only open the hood to show people. I took my wife for a nice drive up hwy1 north of Bodega bay last weekend - and it was VERY FUN! :D If I get the email response I'm hoping for I will be driving it 500 miles south of here to Riverside tonight to get my mom a better car (her first TDI), and then drive the 500 miles home.

As for MPG, I have filled it 3 times since the turbo, and it's getting 55, 55, and 58. I am surprised at the numbers because I have had it in the triple digits a bit and am making good use of the go pedal. I still don't cruise around above 75 mph for long or flog the brakes though - so maybe the MPG makes sense. The lifetime average for the 12,000 miles since the swap is still over 60mpg. :D

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
The lifetime average for the 12,000 miles since the swap is still over 60mpg.
That's awesome man!

Do you plan to do any dyno tuning?

What do you expect will be a safe sustained boost level to subject the BV43 to?

At what RPM do you see full boost and do you feel like it's laggy until then or does it pull right out of the gate?

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
That's awesome man!

Do you plan to do any dyno tuning?

What do you expect will be a safe sustained boost level to subject the BV43 to?

At what RPM do you see full boost and do you feel like it's laggy until then or does it pull right out of the gate?

There will be dyno time in this car's future. I'm thinking it can make 24psi safely and keep it there quite high in the RPM range. It's almost like a stock TDI up to 2000 rpm, then it comes unglued - gets to 20PSI real fast, and takes off. :D I think the bigger nozzles will also change the spool characteristics.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Don't let my situation scare you too much :)

I think 20psi by 2000rpm is probably safe. I was doing 25psi by 2000rpm and prior had spikes even higher by 2000rpm.

Jon

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like you have it figured out. :)

As for MPG, I have filled it 3 times since the turbo, and it's getting 55, 55, and 58. I am surprised at the numbers because I have had it in the triple digits a bit and am making good use of the go pedal. I still don't cruise around above 75 mph for long or flog the brakes though - so maybe the MPG makes sense. The lifetime average for the 12,000 miles since the swap is still over 60mpg. :D
VERY impressive :eek:
Id love to see what kind of Dyno numbers your getting with this set up.
60mpg and fun as hell to drive.. I frigging love TDIs :)

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Just arrived in Riverside... Does quite well in the snow! The grapevine was a bit interesting tonight! :D

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Was this the wagon that was forsale in Utah?

No - much better deal. :D

Dealer maintained
One owner
OEM steel skidplate
5-spd
New BFG Tires
Just needs a timing belt - due right now. I suppose I will need to do that before they start driving it...

The trip down to get it was rather exciting - we drove it to Temecula Friday night (500 miles) after work. We ran into some heavy wind and rain going down 5 and then got into a bit of a snowstorm over the Grapevine. We barely made it before they closed the road:

L.A. Times:Snow forces closure of Interstate 5 over the Grapevine

Saturday morning we accomplished our goal - get my mom her first TDI. We then drove the 500 miles back home.

And the weekend didn't end after that 1,000+ miles in the GTI TDI...

Sunday was great - My wife and I attended the Niello ranch run for the first time - over 400 VW's showed up!

2012 Niello Ranch Run - April 13-15 - Sacramento, CA

And we got stuck in the mud there... here is the mess:

I guess I need to resurrect the lifted TDI monster... :eek:

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hell yeah Mk4 shift linkage conversion!

I need to drive this thing some time... You're making me want to do a Mk2 TDI now!

My other thought is a TDI-powered Porsche 944 using one of these: http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=690

Though, for emissions reasons, I may have to swap a 1Z into it first, get it approved by a referee, then tear it all back out to install this motor...

The 55+ MPG is particularly awesome considering the setup and how you drive :eek:

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Got to the grapevine hours later than you, they closed it. :-(

Had to drive around through Mojave & Palmdale.

Your mileage is insane!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Thats the lump I want for my chevette project... I want too many cars, this thread has re-lit the fire for a MK1 or MK2, I just have too little money to do everything :(

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
VE or PD?
VE - it's and 03. :)

Hell yeah Mk4 shift linkage conversion!
I need to drive this thing some time... You're making me want to do a Mk2 TDI now!
My other thought is a TDI-powered Porsche 944 using one of these: http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=690
Though, for emissions reasons, I may have to swap a 1Z into it first, get it approved by a referee, then tear it all back out to install this motor...
The 55+ MPG is particularly awesome considering the setup and how you drive :eek:
And yeah - the MK4 shift linkage is WAY BETTER than the old Corrado box it had before!

And that 16V PD would be sweet in anything - especially a 944! - and don't you dare take it to a referee - that's a good way to get screwed into a very long worthless process. If you go back into my original swap thread - I describe in great detail how to fill out the REG256 (Statement of Facts) form and have the DMV fix the title. :D

And I am surprised by the MPG myself - though I don't tend to spend a ton of time cruising at high speed... I only do it in bursts for fun. I'm also trying to make my brakes last until I get the Boxster over 300x25 on VR setup done and installed... I'm sure this is good for MPG. ;)

Got to the grapevine hours later than you, they closed it. :-(

Had to drive around through Mojave & Palmdale.

Your mileage is insane!
Bummer - I guess i just barely made it.

Thats the lump I want for my chevette project... I want too many cars, this thread has re-lit the fire for a MK1 or MK2, I just have too little money to do everything :(

I vote MKII :D Simplest conversion - most useful on a daily basis - TONS of parts bolt right on to make it unbelievably awesome... Rallye bits, MK3 bits...

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

Recieved the Titan 764 Injectors from Frank Saturday - Fixed the damaged insulation on the 3rd injector and installed them Tuesday. It's got a bit more power now - but has a bit of a shudder that improved slightly when I bumped the IQ from 2.0 to 3.2. This video is with the IQ at 2.0 – it is now at 3.2 and there is no smoke.

http://youtu.be/NJVMjuVyabc?hd=1