New Pictures server/software, same old address

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
First, I'd like to thank TDI Believer for having the foresight to set the original picture server up many years ago. It has been a great resource for all the club members and is something I want to continue for forum members.

The images have now all been moved and new software has been setup (had to change, different platforms). Once DNS records finish propagating, you will see the new pics.tdiclub.com. Unfortunately, no matter which way I tried, I could not come up with a way of importing all the data into the new system without loosing the old links. What this means is there will be a bit of duplication. Images that you have previously uploaded will continue to be available, but not changeable. If you want a copy of your existing images moved into the new systems, just email me and I will move your images into the new system.

The new system allows for descriptions, keywords, sorting into categories (instead of folders), auto resizing of images, etc. Also, usernames are now tied directly into the rest of the forums, so you need not remember multiple passwords.

I hope to add a few more features to this soon as well.

Enjoy,

Fred

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Couple of notes:

Currently only gif, bmp, tiff, jpg, and pdf files are allowed on the new server... I'm contemplating removing bmp and tiffs due to their large size. If there are other files you feel should be allowed, please let me know with a reason.

The new sever is *nix based and that means case is important. The old server was windows based and case wasn't an issue. If you have problems bringing up an old image, check the case. (anyone know a rewrite rule that would remove this issue?)

Fred

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
.xls has been added, and I forgot to mention .png were already allowed.

I have also fixed up the image link available on most pages. What this means is you can link to the automatically created 600 x 450 pixel image for inclusion in posts.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Just wanted to make sure people can reach the new server (ie DNS propagation has happened). I see people are using it, so it must be for most.

As previously mentioned, I can copy over your images if you want to catagorize them or have control over them. Just email me. Either way images will stay active from their old location, but you can not interact with them.

Fred

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
thanks a ton fred.

how do we access old images that were on the original server? i have some that were on there, that are clearly still there since i can still see my avatar, but i don't know how to get to them.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Email me and I'll move a copy to the new system. At that point you can organize them all.