second fillup second mess

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
2005 passat acquired used with 79600km,

so i just filled up for the second time, and made a mess for the second time, this thing does not shutoff like my old 1.8T passat or my wife's tdi beetle...

the opening has this white plastic looking funnel-like thing it which blocks being able to see whats going one.

i not interested in a ventectomy but is the white plastic funnel $h!t removable?

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Take a picture, I do not have any type of funnel on mine, but then again the PO of my car did the ventectomy.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Perhaps previous owner has inserted some adapter to allow LARGE truck type nozzles to fit easier. As stated, maybe the white thing can be pulled out... does not sound original.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
It's probably an adapter to make it difficult to use a gas nozzle.

I sometimes use a truck nozzle when I need to fill up in the middle of the winter in 15 seconds. I never had a problem inserting the large nozzle but if the flow is too fast it will shut off.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
I'm confused... Nothing in my filler neck shuts off a diesel pump. For what it's worth, I am vented - but what shuts off the pump is in the nozzle of the diesel pump. Rather than me try to explain it, here is a link that although it describes a gasoline pump, it is applicable to diesel filling as well. I would be happy to correct myself if wrong but what you describe does not make sense to me. :confused:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump5.htm
My thought is that you are filling at such a slow rate when reaching full, it overflows or you are holding the nozzle too far out of the neck to allow the function of the nozzle to work.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Looks just like mine. Did both instances happen at the same pump? It could be a problem with the fill nozzle shut-off mechanism.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Mine looks similar. I have done the ventectomy and I never let it shut off automatically because when it get close to shut off I manually stop it and pump it at a slower rate until I see diesel fuel in the neck of the fuel tank (approx. 19.1 Gallons capacity at this point).