Fuel Additives?

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
Just bought my first TDI and I read several posts about diesel fuel additives. What do most people use? Where do you buy it? and What benefits do you get from the additives?

sauria

Veteran Member
Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost at Walmart. Contains no alcohol and boosts cetane and lubricates too.

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Read the instructions on that Diesel Kleen. It is only suggested at each oil change, not for weekly use. The white jug Power Service is what they recommend for weekly use. Wal-Mart carries that in a couple of sizes.
The only additive recommended by VW is Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. It also is a cetane boost.
I have used almost all brands in the past 135,000 miles, but now I only use Stanadyne. I learned from this forum to order it online at www.mwfi.com.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Originally posted by SteveS:
Read the instructions on that Diesel Kleen. It is only suggested at each oil change, not for weekly use. The white jug Power Service is what they recommend for weekly use. Wal-Mart carries that in a couple of sizes.
www.mwfi.com.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is nothing wrong with using Power Services Diesel Kleen instead of the Diesel Fuel Supplement on a regular basis. Many members on the forum use the Diesel Kleen this way, especially in the summer. FWIW, I've contacted Power Service about this issue, and they assured me that this was so.

Having said that, I use the white bottled Fuel Supplement. Texas now mandates 48 min cetane, and I believe the Supplement may have superior lubricity characteristics. Actually, BD-100 now makes sense to me as an additive, as it would help things to run cleaner and is slicker than snot. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to obtain it, as I have no way to store very much.

sauria

Veteran Member
Originally posted by SteveS:
The only additive recommended by VW is Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. It also is a cetane boost.
I have used almost all brands in the past 135,000 miles, but now I only use Stanadyne. I learned from this forum to order it online at www.mwfi.com.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The instrcutions on the grey bottle say for peak performance add each time that you refuel -- I don't need the anti-gel in the summer in TX so I don't use the white bottle.

sauria

Veteran Member
Originally posted by spoilsport:
......Texas now mandates 48 min cetane, [/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Really? Is this tested?
They can send the PeMex up here!

Thx

[ June 08, 2002, 10:40: Message edited by: sauria ]

hl649

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Black
SteveS:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is incorrct. The Stanadyne Lubricity Formula does not have any cetane boost in it. It has cleaners and excellent lubricity additives but no cetane boost. For cetane boost from Stanadyne you need the performance formula.

HL

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Having said that, I use the white bottled Fuel Supplement. Texas now mandates 48 min cetane, and I believe the Supplement may have superior lubricity characteristics. Actually, BD-100 now makes sense to me as an additive, as it would help things to run cleaner and is slicker than snot. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to obtain it, as I have no way to store very much.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Glad to hear Texas is making 48 cetane diesel! And in the next couple of weeks BD100 will be available here too!

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Thanks hl649, sauria, & spoilsport. I appreciate the instruction/correction. Learning new stuff is one of the best values I get here.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Biodiesel is also an excellent additive, even in when blended in low proportions. For example, you could just use 1/2 gal per 10 gal fillup. Online, you can get some from hiperfuels.com and worldenergy.net

You can expect:

*Much improved lubricity (even when using just 5% BD).
*Reduction of sulfur (e.g., if using B10, you would be reducing sulfur by 10%, and so on).
*Increased cetane (BD usually tests 50-55 cetane).
*Cleaner burn (BD is highly oxygenated).
*Reduced greenhouse emissions.

Our experience using various blends was, when blended with the barely legal 40-42 cetane petro diesel available in our area):
B5: noticeable improvement in lubricity and reduction of engine sound, still needs additives like PowerService to reduce smoke.
B10: even less smoke under hard acceleration on a cold night, but you can still see some.
B20: no trace of smoke at any time even without PowerService, very smooth revving.
beyond B20: amazingly smooth revving.
B100: "liberation" (to quote fellow RC): the psychological high of realizing that your fuel comes from US farmland crops...

sauria

Veteran Member
I like the sound of biodiesel but it's $5 per gallon online in small quantities. I also read that TX wil require 48 cetane only in 110 counties.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I am now using:

From E.T. Products Co. Inc.
Bremen, Indiana 46506
800-325-5746
1 Case 12 quarts is $76.00

E.T. Products' web site

and

Schaeffer MFG Co
St. Louis, Mo 63104

1 Case(4-1gallon containers) is $78.00 plus $11.91 shipping for me in Baltimore.

Lito

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
sauria: you are absolutely correct about the texas diesel fuel mandates. the tnrcc has mandated 48 cetane and a reduced aromatic component, but only in specific non-attainment counties. all of the largest metro areas including houton, dfw, san antonio, and their surrounding counties are included.

as far as testing, i haven't the faintest notion of how to be assured that what we're getting is the improved diesel. according to the tnrcc ruling, diesel retailers and distributors couldn't have the rotgut diesel for sale or in storage as of 5-1-02.

[ June 08, 2002, 23:42: Message edited by: spoilsport ]

lead sled

Veteran Member
I forgot to bring my PS when I filled up the other day. Bought the STP stuff in the blue bottle at the station. Seems to run fine. Don't see where it contains alcohol. Hope I'm not messing up my injectors.

tommy37

Veteran Member
It's been a couple of years, but when I last posted about the blue STP stuff, I was told that it's good but not nearly as good as PS, and much more expensive if you use the whole bottle as the label says.

sauria

Veteran Member
sauria: you are absolutely correct about the texas diesel fuel mandates. the tnrcc has mandated 48 cetane and a reduced aromatic component, but only in specific non-attainment counties. all of the largest metro areas including houton, dfw, san antonio, and their surrounding counties are included.

as far as testing, i haven't the faintest notion of how to be assured that what we're getting is the improved diesel. according to the tnrcc ruling, diesel retailers and distributors couldn't have the rotgut diesel for sale or in storage as of 5-1-02.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, I think you're all set in Houston but the here in West TX I bet the crap is still being sold. There is no smog test where I live and life hasn't changed since the 50's....... I guess I'll have to fill up in the Metroplex on occasion.

[ June 09, 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: sauria ]

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Originally posted by sledhead:
Just bought my first TDI and I read several posts about diesel fuel additives. What do most people use? Where do you buy it? and What benefits do you get from the additives?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am using Racor Conditioner Plus. I found it at the local marina boat shop.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
How does Shell Rotella DFA measure up against Diesel Kleen and other additives?

Thanks!
David Sterrett
N1DAS (ham radio FCC callsign)
Nashua, NH

'02 Black Golf GLS TDI
Luxury pkg, Cold Climate pkg, Monsoon audio
All stock
Drive 5000 miles/month, 6900 miles and counting!

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Say, does anyone know if additives like PS Supplement make any sense when running B100?

The reason I ask is that the B100 I am using is "lowest quality" (also lowest cost, $1.50) cetane 40 recycled fryer oil. So can I expect the additives to boost the cetane some?

spoilsport, I don't know if B100 is actually slicker than snot. Snot is pretty slick. :)

1986ecod

Has anyone tried using an ashless 2-stroke engine oil in thier fuel at fill, I am using aprox. 2 oz per 55 litre fill up to compensate for crappy non lubricating, pump destroying low sulphur diesel any thoughs or sugustions would be great.

P.S. Does anyone know where to get biodiesel in Southern Ontario, as this would solve the whole additive problem.

Thanks in advance