2009 vs 2010+ Sportwagens

confyushus

TDI
2012 jetta
I have a 12 Jetta TDI and am looking for a sportwagen to replace it. I am specifically looking for a tdi, manual trans with the black interior, the rest of the options don't really bother me either way as long as the price is right and it hasn't lived up north. I am finding 2010-2014s pretty consistently for $8k and up, but I have run across a few 2009s for $5-6k. I had read a while back to go for the 2010 and up models but no one has really said why, so what is different/wrong with the 09s? The dash and front end seem a little different, but otherwise they appear the same to me. Thanks for your help, I really enjoy this site!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From the a pillar forward is the only real difference between the 09 and 10-14.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The hpfp failures also seem to be somewhat more common in the 09's. They have engine code CBEA, which has some minor differences to the more common CJAA. The positive difference is that due to the one piece catalyst/dpf in 09's, they got brand new dpf's when/if the fix was applied.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
All of the JSW's have IRS.I don't like the look of the 2009's as much. They have some kind of issue where the DPF is a single piece and more expensive to replace but maybe that is rectified with the dieselgate fixes. Not sure.

The nice thing about the JSW's is that the option packages are very simple. I'd pay more for one without the giant hole in the roof unless you really enjoy having a sunroof. Not worth the potential headache to me.

confyushus

TDI
2012 jetta
Ok, thanks guys, that's what I was wondering. There is really no big reason to rule out an 09 as long as I can over look the older looking dash and front end. The cbea doesn't seem to be as nice an engine as the cjaa, but is there anything really bad with it? For reference, I fully plan on deleting and tuning it, maybe larger turbo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The cbea and cjaa are more or less the same. I think the biggest difference other than the one piece cat/dpf, is the cbea has balance shafts. The thermostats are different. And the earliest cp4.2 hpfp's seemed to have more problems. Basically the same though.

confyushus

TDI
2012 jetta
Ok thanks, nothing really a deal breaker, then. I could use the money saved for deletes and hpfp upgrade. I hate I skipped over a few 09s while looking, but oh well.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I don't remember all of the implications of the difference, but I thought the 2009s had different electronics, e.g., different cluster with red backlight. I remember thinking it didn't look as modern in a 2009 Jetta, although functionally maybe it was just fine.

confyushus

TDI
2012 jetta
Yes, from what I've seen, the 09s have a different gauge cluster that looks like the flat Jetta gauges instead of the golf set that look like they're in a tunnel, if that makes sense. Also the little info screen thingy is red instead of the newer black/whiteish and the dash seems to look slightly different. I'm not sure, but it seemed to be a mix of mk5 and mk6, but I'm just getting in to VWs from Honda's, so it is taking some time to learn things.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With the cosmetic changes to the front end, VW also changed the dash. I've always referred to the 10-14 JSW as a MK5.5. The 15 GSW is the MK7.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I don't remember all of the implications of the difference, but I thought the 2009s had different electronics, e.g., different cluster with red backlight. I remember thinking it didn't look as modern in a 2009 Jetta, although functionally maybe it was just fine.
09 and10 are mkv's (electronics/red cluster, engine, body differances) if Im not mistaken. When I was looking for mine I focused on the 11 thru 14.

With the cosmetic changes to the front end, VW also changed the dash. I've always referred to the 1014 JSW as a MK5.5. The 15 GSW is the MK7.
Well put

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure when VW changed the front end and dash. My 10 was built in Jan of 10 and has the newer stuff.