40,000 service

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
When buying online, I find that autohausaz.com comes in with the lowest overall price for me virtually all the time because of their free shipping for orders over $50.

For example for the 40k service: air, pollen, oil, fuel, and DSG filters, DSG gasket, 5 liters of 507 oil and 5 liters of DSG Pentosin fluid comes in at about $226 shipped to your home. For a manual (removing the DSG stuff), the price would be about $113 from autohausaz. If I buy the 507 oil at my local Pepboys, I can save another $5 or so.

In addition, doing a DSG top fill with a Walmart funnel instead of "making" a DSG fill tool will save one about $15.
Walmart also sells an oil drain pan next to the funnels that has quart marks on the inside. This will help see right away how much was drained from your DSG so you know how much to put back.

Also when I drained my DSG the plastic overfill tube was not screwed in all the way.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Plus 3 Golfer, If you plan on filling from the top. Although manual states to do it from the bottom.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
I filled from the top. Whether the fluid goes in from the bottom or top makes no difference.

Filling from the top (rather than the bottom) requires more time to empty a bottle as the fluid drains from the filter canister down a tube to a rail thats used to distribute spray on the gears. The drain tube from the Walmart funnel (last time I checked it was less than $5) fits perfectly in the hole at the bottom of the fuel canister.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Hahah ok. I just read the post on Myturbodiesel. Im going with the top fill method. Guess Ill stop by walmart too. Thanks Plus 3!

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
Plus 3 Golfer, If you plan on filling from the top. Although manual states to do it from the bottom.
Ha! That's like drinking your beer with your left hand or your right.
:D

Got my 40K done today at Southern States in Durham, NC (dealer)
Normally I do this kind of stuff myself but as it's under extended warranty as a CPO, I'm going to protect that by putting the ball in VW's court.

40K service (If they did the cabin filter they didn't charge me for it and also only charged me for 1 Qt of oil)
$370.38

DSG service $290.91
FYI the service rep told me when I picked up the car it was a good thing I went ahead and did the DSG prior to 50K otherwise it would get dropped from the CPO warranty at that point.

Add another $35 for shop supplies and $17.77 tax and I'm out the door at $714.06

Plus a free car-wash and a smack on the ass which, while flattering, was a little awkward.

Last edited:

dasBlinkenlight

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, Reflex Silver
40k + DSG service at Rod East (now "Freedom") VW for $667 OTD. Car wash included.

They've never overfilled the oil or used the wrong type in over 6 years of TDI service.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
I just don't get why the cost for this service is all over the map......same parts, same work performed 300 bucks one place.......1200 another. Come on. Give us a break. Should have just done it myself.....I'm capable......getting lazy I guess.

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
This so ticks me off. It's like going to McD's and them adding $1.05 for Bag, napkins and ketchup.
I just don't get why the cost for this service is all over the map......same parts, same work performed 300 bucks one place.......1200 another. Come on. Give us a break. Should have just done it myself.....I'm capable......getting lazy I guess.
It is frustrating to see it especially when you don't know what it is.
I will say this though. I've got a couple friends who work in reputable shops (one an independent Toyota shop and the other works at the nearby Bimmer Dealership) and I do a lot of work on cars myself.
Knowing what I know, I can say that $35 in "supplies" on a job of this scope is actually perfectly fair so you shouldn't feel cheated.

I do, however, advocate that in all cases, before leaving the shop, you ask the service rep to go through your invoice line-by-line with you.
This is important for both you and the shop to ensure that your expectations were met and no mistakes were made in billing.
Perfect example: My 40K service yesterday they forgot to bill me for 4x liters of motor oil (a $40 error in my favor!)

Also as a consumer, you'll feel a lot better knowing what "YPF983457KBM filter $39.50" is supposed to mean and empower you to shop the same parts and compare prices.

I was totally floored to see, in my case, that the dealer prices on OEM parts were the same or less that what I'd pay for the Frham equivalents at the parts-chain!

IMO 99% of the frustration consumers feel when getting their car serviced is not understanding what's going on which leads to feeling taken advantage of.
A reputable shop who appreciates their customers will be more than happy to explain each and every line item with you.
Any place that does not; run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
It is frustrating to see it especially when you don't know what it is.
I will say this though. I've got a couple friends who work in reputable shops (one an independent Toyota shop and the other works at the nearby Bimmer Dealership) and I do a lot of work on cars myself.
Knowing what I know, I can say that $35 in "supplies" on a job of this scope is actually perfectly fair so you shouldn't feel cheated.
McD's has costs involved in the bag, napkins and ketchup also.

No, it's highly unlikely they can justify $35 in supplies.

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
McD's has costs involved in the bag, napkins and ketchup also.

No, it's highly unlikely they can justify $35 in supplies.
Okaay soo ... to the topic at hand:
You appear to have a 2012.
Is it still under warranty?
Who performs the scheduled maintenance?
What do you pay?
Has it reached 40K?

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Okaay soo ... to the topic at hand:
You appear to have a 2012.
Is it still under warranty?
Who performs the scheduled maintenance?
What do you pay?
Has it reached 40K?
I won't pay anything until after the free maintence runs out at which point I will do most of it myself. What I can't do will be taken to an independant shop.

stump

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Here at my dealer we charge $309 for the 40K and $239 for the DSG. No shop charges and tax only on the parts.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I bought the extended warrany on my vehicle. Would that include oil changes?
I would be surprised if it does. A warranty is meant to protect against product failure. It likely does not cover preventive maintenance expenses. However, I'm sure that you must be able to prove that you have stayed on top of the preventive maintenance schedule in order for the extended warranty to stay in effect.

You should read the fine print on your policy to be sure.

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
40K service at Garnett VW quoted at right around $600. That is for oil change, DSG, etc. Seems reasonable.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I just did mine. What's the difference in the air filters? The one I removed had a white cover over the bottom of the filter and the one I purchased didn't. I bought an OEM filter.

should16

TDI
2011 Sportswagen
I know I'm pinging an old thread here, but hopefully folks can take a look at these #'s. I just did the 40k and it seems like the prices were a little high. Then again, most of these are from years earlier, so maybe costs have gone up.

$18 - Rotate tires
$30 - Cabin air filter
$85 - Fuel filter
$15 - Oil filter
$45 - Synthetic oil (4.5q)
$2 - Washer fluid
$6 - Parts cleaner
$20 - shop supplies
$320 - labor

$540 - Total

Does that seem about right these days? It was a shop in Biddeford, ME.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I know I'm pinging an old thread here, but hopefully folks can take a look at these #'s. I just did the 40k and it seems like the prices were a little high. Then again, most of these are from years earlier, so maybe costs have gone up.

$18 - Rotate tires
$30 - Cabin air filter
$85 - Fuel filter
$15 - Oil filter
$45 - Synthetic oil (4.5q)
$2 - Washer fluid
$6 - Parts cleaner
$20 - shop supplies
$320 - labor

$540 - Total

Does that seem about right these days? It was a shop in Biddeford, ME.
$85 for the fuel filter doesn't sound right. Last time I bought it from the VW parts counter it was around $30-40 if I recall correctly. The rest sounds about right.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
$320 for labour?? For installing a double the price fuel filter and changing the oil? I'd say that's more than a little high... not to mention $20 worth of 'shop supplies'.

should16

TDI
2011 Sportswagen
That's what I figured. Can I get a 2nd confirm that this is too high for labor? What's a good rough number for the labor/job in total? Thanks

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Without, it's an automatic
If it's a "automatic" then it's a DSG transmission.

DSG transmissions require a fluid drain/refill and filter change every 40,000 miles. Some dealers still hold to the "lifetime fill" that VW initially said for the DSG transmission. This is not the case and they must have the 40,000 mile service done to ensure proper operation and long life.

The reason I asked is perhaps the DSG service was included in the total price since the labor seemed pretty high as Rob pointed out.