Question: (Front Right) 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG

illtww

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/DSG
Need to secure a "Whole right front" assembly (and axle) for my 2005.5 Jetta TDI.

There are tons of 2005.5 - 20010 Jetta 2.5's in the junk yards around here.

Can I snag that out of a 2.5 auto car and use it in my TDI?

Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The only difference might be the spring itself, check the colored paint dots on the coils.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, didn't catch he also wanted the axle, good call. The only axle that will work is one from a DSG car, which means a TDI or a 2.0t engine (like from a GLI/GTI/Wolfsburg Jetta). The 2.5L got the Aisin slushbox and uses a completely different axle.

Doogie21

TDI
2006 Jetta
Good luck with finding the correct springs. My 06 broke a front left spring and it was nearly impossible to find the correct spring. Follow Oilhammers advice. Look on the bottom of the spring you will see different paint marks. There are multiple different variations and each of them have a different spring rate. If I recall correctly the TDI is the heaviest variant of the Jetta so there are very few parts that correlate between the gas and diesel editions.

I got lucky and found a set of springs with my matching color code on ebay from a junkyard in Minnesota. If I recall my code was either white, white, pink, pink or reverse of that.

Regardless of how much of a pain it is, do not do like I initially did and try to buy parts from some of the different autoparts chains. It may be more expensive but whatever you can't find or source yourself, it is well worth it to spend the extra money and buy from one of the reputable online dealers or support your local vw mechanic.

These are fantastic cars, but if I have figured out anything, it is that using cheap parts or parts from traditional parts stores usually end up costing you more time and money in the end.

Good luck.

oilhammer

TDI
News flash: you can also buy NEW springs. They are not that expensive, and are not uncommon to break on higher mileage cars anyway.

You'll find that VAG uses a bunch of different color coded springs for different engine/transmission/suspension packages, but they are often not all that different and so long as you did both sides and it was from a similar setup car you should be fine. I would imagine the 2.5L 5cyl+6sp Aisin automatic would easily be the heaviest powertrain of any A5 car sold here, so if you put those springs on a TDI, especially a manual one, it would likely lift the front end up an inch or so. There were no VR6 A5s for us.