BEW No gas pedal response on cold start

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Hmmm...
I see you are not in the USA, eh?
What is your engine code? Do you have a vacuum operated EGR valve?

MOEY

TDI
2005 MKIV JETTA 1.9TDI
Yup not from the states
I do have a vacuum operated EGR valve
engine num starts with AHF

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If the glow plugs are working they should not have anything to do with the problem.
Does the car start easy?

MOEY

TDI
2005 MKIV JETTA 1.9TDI
If the glow plugs are working they should not have anything to do with the problem.
Does the car start easy?
car starts fine, sometimes with little hesitation early in the morning.

what I picked up this morning is that theres huge bubbles in the clear line from the filter to the IP. car went for major service recently but going to have to check the diesel filter again.

Last edited:

MOEY

TDI
2005 MKIV JETTA 1.9TDI
ok so some feedback.

diagnosed the issue to be the diesel filter. it wasnt installed correctly when it went so service. i re installed it correctly and that took all those bubbles away

arcking

TDI
2x '04 Jetta Wagons (BEW/09A), '13 JSW
With the cold weather returning, this issue is once again nagging me. I managed to log some data in VCDS (shown below) after a cold start while the throttle pedal was not responding. You can see that the accelerator pedal position is being registered correctly and converted to a Torque Request, but there is no increase in actual Engine Torque whatsoever from approx. 21s to 26s. The increase in RPM at around ~34s is from coasting downhill slightly.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on what to check next, or what other logs might be useful? Are there other limitation measuring blocks that should be checked? What would cause the Torque Request to not be acted upon? Is there a record anywhere that shows what the ECU is looking for before increasing the actual torque on an EDC16 in a BEW?

After ~40s, the car starts to react to the pedal input, but sluggishly. At least in this scenario, you can see that the actual torque is constrained by the Smoke Limitation. I'm not sure if this is related to the issue above.

Thanks for any input!

arcking

TDI
While this is still an issue for me, the capture below is primarily for the historical record since this thread seems to be dead. Below shows throttle application with no response until shifting from Drive to Park at the ~32 second mark at which point you can see the RPM rise slightly and then settle down at around 880 rpm. The tail end of the graph shows an acknowledge of torque request by the pedal and subsequent response. Interestingly the MAF initially drops with the increase of RPM - I'm not sure if that'd be the same with others that have this issue, or a symptom of other issues with my BEW (EGR deleted).

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Well I wouldnt say dead thread, just a stallmate. Now that colder weather has returned mine is doing it again. Thanks for the info. Weird to say the least. Usually dont delay me too much.

Want2KeepMyTDI4ever

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
Thanks for this thread. Wondering if anyone ever figured out the culprit?

My ‘04 Jetta TDI wagon (automatic) starts up fine, but sometimes fails to shift out of first gear. If I warm up the car first (I try 20 minutes, this has worked so far) runs just fine.

The codes that have shown up have to do with the intake valve and 2 master VW techs plus the VW dealership all have said it’s so deep in the transmission that is not worth doing.

But yours isn’t an automatic, right?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon

My ‘04 Jetta TDI wagon (automatic) starts up fine, but sometimes fails to shift out of first gear. If I warm up the car first (I try 20 minutes, this has worked so far) runs just fine.

The codes that have shown up have to do with the intake valve and 2 master VW techs plus the VW dealership all have said it’s so deep in the transmission that is not worth doing.

I am kind of guessing here not knowing what the fault codes are but this sounds like the typical problem that plagues the 09A transmission.
Yours most likely can be fixed with just a solenoid kit change...an issue different from what is going on in this thread.
To my knowledge all those solenoids are right under the tin cover on the front of the trans. I have done this process numerous times.
The VW dealership woefully can't do what people on this forum do daily.
It usually takes one of these kits:

Last edited:

arcking

TDI

I agree with JETaah - especially if if your car was shifting hard (particularly between 1st and 2nd) before it got this bad, it's likely the solenoids. Here's a good resource on changing them if you're up for a DIY project - otherwise should be a simple task for a quality independent repair shop: