ALH Fuel Guage Calibration update

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
COMMENT:
This procedure is for stock fuel systems. If you have a lift pump then you'll have to perform the calibration procedure via other means.

Somewhere buried deep in the archives of the TDI forums is a thread providing instructions on how to calibrate the fuel guage.
I would like to offer an update on this procedure.
Drive the car untill the low fuel warning activates.

Have the car parked flat & level. You will need the following equipment:
  • A clean fuel can (diesel) 5 gal. capasity
  • Hose unions that fit the stock fuel lines at the fuel filter
  • A fuel hose to reach your fuel can from the adapter (4 Ft will do)
  • Regulated compressed air
  • Vag-Com
  • A funnel
  • clean rags (to catch any dribbles / spillage)
Remove fuel lines from the fuel filter inlet and the return hose from the fuel diverter valve to the fuel tank.
You will leave both hoses to the fuel pump attached to the fuel filter.

Attach a union and your extention hose to the fuel supply line (filter inlet). This hose is routed to your fuel can. This will hold the remaining fuel that is in your fuel tank.

Attach a union to the fuel line returning to your fuel tank. It is this hose where you will attached your "regulated compressed air". Slowly apply 3 to 4 PSI. This air will push the remaining fuel in your tank out and into your fuel can.
As soon as the fuel flow stops you can remove the air supply. Your fuel tank is now empty.

Pour 7 liters of fuel into the tank.
Do not sit in the car, put in the igntion key turn switch to on (but don't start the engine) and connect/startup VCDS .
Go to the instrument controller adaptation group 030.
If the fuel gauge needle does not settle pointing to the red mark on the gauge, adjust the number shown in VAG-COM to calibrate the gauge. A higher number increases the fuel indication and a lower number decreases the fuel indication.
When satisfied, close VCDS, remove the key and complete reassembly of the car.

Return the remaining fuel to the car's fuel tank. This is where you may need the funnel.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
What's the inner diameter of those fuel lines btw?
I don't know. I made my own union from a tube of an old fuel filter. I have seen brass unions at hardware store plumbing items that would work for this application.

Last edited: