Blast of smoke out of nowhere

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Sorry if this has been asked. I couldn't find a similar posting.

Yesterday after leaving worked I noticed a little extra smoke each time I took off from a light. It wasn't anything unusual though. Then on about the fourth light, I accelarated like normal but this time I felt a slight surge and the car left behind a semi-truck sized blast of thick grey smoke. After that all was normal again; the car hasn't smoked again and power feels normal.

Has anone else experienced a similar smoke-screen out of nowhere? What could the cause be? Do I have reason to worry?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I bet you don't often put the pedal to the metal when starting, do you? You should, and you would keep the intercooler free of oil that way. What happened to you, most likely, is that you got a "surge" of oil from your intercooler.

Try driving with more authority, and you will have a happier, more consistent machine.

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, I accelarate pretty hard. I know that we need to blow the soot and oil out of these things. I floor it through all the gears when getting on the freeway as well as a few other times during my commute. I drive 75 to 85 on the freeway. This car definitely isn't grannied which is why I was puzzled at what happened yesterday.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Other think I've heard is that sometimes the oily gunk breaks off and gets eaten - with corresponding smoke/surge. Have you always owned this vehicle?

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
rdkern said:
Other think I've heard is that sometimes the oily gunk breaks off and gets eaten - with corresponding smoke/surge. Have you always owned this vehicle?
Yes, I'm the original owner. Its a 2003 Golf with manual transmission. I've always used Delvac1, or Rotella T Synthetic. Since it happened right after leaving work, I wonder if some oil could have pooled in the intercooler while it was parked?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
However it happened, it does sound like a short burst of oil. Perhaps enough could have pooled in there while you were slaving away. It only takes a tablespoon or two to provide interesting effects.