Replacement bolt for triangular-head injector pump bolt?

d@g

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
As part of my ongoing my-car-wont-start problem, I opened up the top of the injector pump ('02 Golf TDI/ALH) because I had an OBDII error (P1562), which I read here indicates a fuel temp sensor error. (Since I was a BD user in the past, I also wanted to look inside the pump to see its condition -- it was pristine, btw).

Anyhow, not having the Metalnerd bit to loosen the triangular bit, I took the advice of cutting a slot with a dremel into the bolt head to remove it with a screwdriver.

Does anyone know the specs (size, length) of the replacement bolt and if I can get something like that (hex or torx head) from a home depot or Lowes?

Thanks

snapdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat 2.5 TDi Auto Variant
Also be careful when you put the lid back on, the positioning of it via the slotted holes is CRUCIAL, it will either die or rev to the red line and explode, or somewhere inbetween, unless it goes back how it was. You are supposed to scribe marks before removal.
Good luck!

d@g

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
snapdragon said:
Also be careful when you put the lid back on, the positioning of it via the slotted holes is CRUCIAL, it will either die or rev to the red line and explode, or somewhere inbetween, unless it goes back how it was. You are supposed to scribe marks before removal.
Good luck!
Well, that tidbit was somehow missing from the threads on the fuel temp sensor replacement :mad:. Wonderful...I'm ready to part this car out now.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Drag that car down to my place next weekend and we'll get it going. What SnapDragon was referring to is that there is a round collar which rotates and slides on a shaft inside the pump housing. The collar has a hole drilled in it. Hanging down from the pump cover is a rod with a protrusion (aka tit). Just make sure that you get the protrusion aligned with the hole when you reassemble it. It isnt hard, just be aware of it has go to back together like that.

When you try to start it, keep your hand on the key and if it is going to rev up, shut it down immediately. I might also have it in gear with the clutch in when you try to start it, just in case you need to dump the clutch to stall it.

Last edited: