Rocky Mountain Biodiesel?

aw

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver Golf GLS
Is anyone familiar with Rocky Mountain Biodiesel? I went over to PV Co-Op in Fort Collins last week to fillup at their newly opened B100 pump and was surprised to see all the Blue Sun signs and labels missing. I asked the guy who came out to fill my car about it, he said Rocky Mountain BioD was cheaper so they switched. I think their B20 was the same price as #2. B100 was $2.99/g. I'm just happy they've got it open now, but I am a Blue Sun fan.

BTW, they're a little weird about the B100 pump. It's locked so someone has to come out and fill your vehicle. I think that might just be because it's on an old pump that the pricing or quantity doesn't get relayed inside.

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
RMBD is out of Berthoud. I could be wrong, but I believe their BD is WVO based. I think they get their oil from a potato chip maker somewhere on the front range. The Boulder Biodiesel board has a few threads about them including contact info.

oriley

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 black Golf
Shoco Oil has B20 and B100 from Blue Sun. Just filled up (2) 5-gallons of B100 yesterday - $2.57. B20 was $2.39. Nice place, I believe they just changed the pump handles. Very Clean. I've seen the pumps many, many times w/ 60+ gallons being purchased, they say that there are several big trucks that fill up there was well. Seem to turn it over pretty quickly.
Patrick

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Shoco Oil has B20 and B100 from Blue Sun. Just filled up (2) 5-gallons of B100 yesterday - $2.57. B20 was $2.39. Nice place, I believe they just changed the pump handles. Very Clean. I've seen the pumps many, many times w/ 60+ gallons being purchased, they say that there are several big trucks that fill up there was well. Seem to turn it over pretty quickly.
Patrick
I'll be driving east to Iowa around July 1st or 2nd. I plan to fill up in St George, Utah, and should be able to make it to Denver. Is that Shoco in Commerce City open for retail fuel sales 24 hours? Do you have to have a cardlock card?

Or are there other Blue Sun or Rocky Mountain outlets in or near Denver and close to I-70 and I-76?

cartog

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE manual, grey/black, Frostheater.
I'll be driving east to Iowa around July 1st or 2nd. I plan to fill up in St George, Utah, and should be able to make it to Denver. Is that Shoco in Commerce City open for retail fuel sales 24 hours? Do you have to have a cardlock card?

Or are there other Blue Sun or Rocky Mountain outlets in or near Denver and close to I-70 and I-76?
The Shoco station lets you fill up with B20 24/7 using your standard credit cards. You have to catch them during regular business hours to get B100.

There was another smaller Blue Sun outlet that hadn't gotten their tanks installed when I went by a number of months ago near the Shoco station that was going to offer at least B20 with a credit card swipe as well. However, I don't see mention of them on the Blue Sun website (gobluesun.com), so I wouldn't bother trying to find it until we can get some confirmation of it's existance. I'll look into it if I'm in the area and post an update. I doubt I'll get a look before July, however.

Have a nice drive.

oriley

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 black Golf
careful w/ the CC swip thing though. If you use it after business hours it will pre-authorize your card for a semi truck fill up. They have a sheet of paper out by the pump warning this. Probably cuz of me! It tied up about $400 out of my checking account for 3 days! You talk about P.O.ed!!
So i'd recommend finding another place if possible if you'll be coming through after hours.
If I were going to be home, I'd fill up one of my 15 gallon jugs for ya...but I'm heading to Ardmore OK Friday night..

MarshallDodge

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS
I stopped by and talked to the guys at Rocky Mountain Biodiesel at their plant in Berthoud about a month ago.
The owner was not super friendly but his employee was and took me for a tour of the plant. Their product IS based on WVO but I didn't ask where he got it from. They are part of a parent company out of California and if I recall correctly they said that they make 14,000 gallons a week. All of it is processed to ASTM standards and every batch is tested by an independant lab.
Here is an interesting article: http://ncbr.datajoe.com/app/ecom/pub_article_details.php?id=57940
They sell to distributors and the distributors do the mixing.