2003 Golf - Rebuilt head needed...

englishcreek

TDI
Golf
I have a TDI Golf MK4 in need of a new (rebuilt) head, can someone tell me who or where is the best place to get one these days?

Valve piston contact on cylinder x4 totaled head and piston (will need one of those too).

Tips, tricks for this job also welcome, this is the first time I have pulled apart a TDI ALH.

Thanks in advance!

dalejrfan88

TDI
03 jetta
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the whole motor if the piston is junked? I bought a golf with a snapped timing belt, got a junkyard head and a timing belt kit with a new gasket and bolts. It wasn't a bad job, but I've done a few timing belt jobs before.

One thing you have to do is check piston protrusion to make sure you didn't bend a rod. That might actually be a good place to start before you go any further since the block might be in worse shape than you think.

englishcreek

TDI
Golf
...I don't know about 'easier'.... first I would have to find a complete motor and then how do I know its any better than what I am working with?

Other than the obvious issue, everything on this motor was/is in good shape.

Pulling the rod and piston is next on my list.... Anybody know how I remove that plastic cover plate that sits above the oil pan?

Visually piston protrusion looks the same, but the piston top is so beat up from the loose valve I cant be sure.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I have a TDI Golf MK4 in need of a new (rebuilt) head, can someone tell me who or where is the best place to get one these days?
Valve piston contact on cylinder x4 totaled head and piston (will need one of those too).
Tips, tricks for this job also welcome, this is the first time I have pulled apart a TDI ALH.
Thanks in advance!
Suggestion: follow the service manual on torques, bolts that must be replaced, etc
Suggestion: track down the great "A4 Timing Belt" pdf here... great resource for when you go to reinstall the timing belt
Suggeston: take your time and have fun... it's a rewarding job!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Franko6 (forum member name) is the resident head rebuilder guru and the best.
At the very least give him a call. You will at the minimum learn a lot.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I second what jettawreck said.
Frank is the person to go to, I had a similar incident with a NB I bought for my daughter.
PO’s mechanic screwed up TB job and hid the problem .
Long story short I had two bent rods and a beat up piston.
I called frank explained the situation and he had me pull all 4 pistons and connecting rods , send them to him where he matched lengths and weights and replaced the beat up piston.
He sent me all new bolts and bearings for the connecting rods.
This was done while the engine was still in the car.
Car is running great now

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
...I don't know about 'easier'.... first I would have to find a complete motor and then how do I know its any better than what I am working with?
Other than the obvious issue, everything on this motor was/is in good shape.
Pulling the rod and piston is next on my list.... Anybody know how I remove that plastic cover plate that sits above the oil pan?
Visually piston protrusion looks the same, but the piston top is so beat up from the loose valve I cant be sure.
When I had a similar 'event' I had DutchAutoParts ship me a used longblock from The
Netherlands. Only about $850 delivered to my door in about 5 days with warranty.

englishcreek

TDI
Golf
Thanks for the responses. I have contacted Frank and am following his advice.

...$850 for a long block delivered from the Netherland for $850!? Cheap. Especially since I am in California......

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks for the responses. I have contacted Frank and am following his advice.
...$850 for a long block delivered from the Netherland for $850!? Cheap. Especially since I am in California......
That was 5 years ago shipped to SoCal.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Franko6 (forum member name) is the resident head rebuilder guru and the best.
At the very least give him a call. You will at the minimum learn a lot.
^^^^
Highly recommended advice.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You'd be taking your chances that a head refresh, 1 piston, 1 rod would fix it. Other damage likely.

I would take up PH on his offer. Check with common carriers, you'll find they can be very reasonable, although they don't generally go "door to door" with something like that.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The piston/rod assemblies are balanced in pairs. If you do replace one piston I believe you need to make sure it matches up weight wise to it's counter pair. The Bentley should at least mention that in the specs.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You'd be taking your chances that a head refresh, 1 piston, 1 rod would fix it. Other damage likely.

I would take up PH on his offer. Check with common carriers, you'll find they can be very reasonable, although they don't generally go "door to door" with something like that.

I have to agree depending on the mileage of your engine. Even if there is no real damage the cylinder walls would need to be measured for a bore gauge to check for out-of-roundness and excess clearance. It does not take much to make it real hard for new rings to properly seal to a cylinder that is even a .0015 out of round. So it may run OK but it could wind up being an oil consumer. There are not many engines that I've opened up with over 200K that I felt that I could drop a new set of rings in and call it good without getting the cylinders straightened out.