www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 1st, 2020, 12:23   #11506
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Ventured out into the pandemic today. Took the JSW to make sure that it had a full tank just, in case. Since it hadn't been started for a month, it took a little effort to turn over. Went to the grocery store gas station and even with the discount, the pump price there would have been $2.19. I knew that it was cheaper across the lake, so a little road trip was in the works. Got to the QT in Lake Wylie and was amazed to see D2 at $1.63 and RUG at $1.67. That's right. Both under $2 and diesel cheaper than gasoline. That's the lowest price for diesel I've paid in just over 10 years. I know that becaseu my mileage book was new with the JSW and I've had it 10 years last month. The highest I've paid was April of 2012 at $4.20 a gallon, probably in Orlando area.
Old April 1st, 2020, 20:06   #11507
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

This means gasoline is going to remain plentiful and cheap for at least an additional month.

Also, the weekly Energy Information Administration (EIA) showed pretty low levels of distillate stocks -- below the bottom of the five-year range.

So refinery runs will fall because of the gasoline surplus, and distillate stocks will fall keeping diesel prices relatively high (compared to regular gas).

"The Trump administration said Friday it is delaying a shift to cleaner-burning, summertime gasoline after the coronavirus pandemic caused a plummet in demand and left storage tanks full of winter-grade fuel.

"The Environmental Protection Agency decided to relax those requirements for at least 20 days in response to pleas from refiners and gasoline distributors worried about their ability to drain tanks and other equipment, as coronavirus-spurred lockdowns keep cars off the roads. The EPA warned of potential fuel shortages without a waiver, because refiners and distributors otherwise are required to stop selling winter gasoline on May 1.

"Nobody's buying fuel right now," EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in a telephone interview. "There's not the capacity of the tanks just to even blend the winter fuel into the summer fuel. We have a real, live problem out there."

"The EPA's waiver applies to fuel refiners and distribution systems from May 1 to May 20, though additional or regional delays are possible later. Retailers generally face a June 1 deadline to switch over gasoline pumps in parts of the country where smog is a problem. The annual change to low-volatility gasoline is required to minimize air pollution during warm summer months in many parts of the country."

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...r-gasoline-bl/
'03 Golf with 811k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1 Plus 2 other '03 TDIs
Become a TDI Club Contributor. http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 05:05   #11508
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I wonder if the delay in switching to summer fuel will also delay price increases that typically come with the switch. We'll see.

We renewed our UPS contract yesterday and we were bugging our rep about UPS's fuel surcharge. He reassured us that even if oil prices went to $0 the fuel surcharge would not go away.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:43   #11509
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
We renewed our UPS contract yesterday and we were bugging our rep about UPS's fuel surcharge. He reassured us that even if oil prices went to $0 the fuel surcharge would not go away.
That is called greed. Fuel prices are part of UPS' overhead, so if the cost goes down, then the overhead is lessened. By not eliminating the surcharge UPS is just jacking up their profits and by not doing so in the current situation, is probably in violation of the anti-price gouging laws.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:50   #11510
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

If the surcharge was there prior to the pandemic shutdown, then it is not considered price gouging. Even if they add some type of hazardous pay surcharge, they can argue against price gouging. On the other hand, if their frieght prices double, that's price gouging.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:39   #11511
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Relax, everyone, I was just pointing out an ongoing exchange that we have with our UPS rep. Their pricing is incredibly complex: along with fuel there are surcharges for residential delivery, extended area delivery, box dimensional weights, Saturday delivery (sometimes), and others.

I'm not one to defend UPS, but the complexity of what they're doing in this crisis boggles the mind. Holding packages for 14 days for businesses that are closed, attempting redelivery after 14 days. If the receiving business is still closed, they will attempt to return the package to the shipper. If the shipper is closed they'll hold the package for another 14 days and try again. Unless package contents are clearly perishable, in which case they'll destroy it. One station in MA had 5 trailers full of undeliverable boxes, two days into the MA shutdown. Not fun. Good thing they love logistics.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:52   #11512
casioqv
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wonder if the delay in switching to summer fuel will also delay price increases that typically come with the switch.
I also wonder if we'll see a rise of common rail HPFP failures due to water contamination, if fuel is sitting unused storage tanks.

Quote:
I'm not one to defend UPS, but the complexity of what they're doing in this crisis boggles the mind.

+1 delivery people and grocery store workers are fighting on the front lines for us, I don't think it's a great time to ask them to lower shipping prices

Last edited by casioqv; April 2nd, 2020 at 12:55.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 16:43   #11513
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I also wonder if we'll see a rise of common rail HPFP failures due to water contamination, if fuel is sitting unused storage tanks.
It's gasoline that's sitting in storage tanks unsold and perhaps absorbing water. You shouldn't be putting that in your TDI anyway.
'03 Golf with 811k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1 Plus 2 other '03 TDIs
Old April 2nd, 2020, 17:10   #11514
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
It's gasoline that's sitting in storage tanks unsold and perhaps absorbing water. You shouldn't be putting that in your TDI anyway.
Even if it's a lot less expensive than Diesel?
Old April 2nd, 2020, 17:23   #11515
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
So are you saying that every diesel car and pickup is still filling up at the same rate as before and there hasn't been a decrease in the auto diesel tanks rate of emptying?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 18:41   #11516
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
So are you saying that every diesel car and pickup is still filling up at the same rate as before and there hasn't been a decrease in the auto diesel tanks rate of emptying?
No, but the percentage of diesel consumed by autos has to be far less than 1%. The roads are still full of semis and box trucks.
Old April 4th, 2020, 07:14   #11517
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

$2.07 for RUG and $2.45 for diesel at the Speedway.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 15:50   #11518
hollowhead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40ish beetles, 52 wagon

Diesel $1.929 in Orangeburg S.C.
hollowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26   #11519
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Demand for diesel are trucks and obviously gas demand are cars. Trucks are going crazy delivering on line items people buy to stay away from stores.

When the panic subsides gas prices will go up for sure.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42   #11520
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I'm willing to bet diesel demand is down. Look at photos of the empty ports. No trucks delivering containers if they're not arriving. Most commercial construction and its equipment is at a standstill. Even small businesses, like landscapers, have minimal operations, at least in states that are shut down. I usually see several landscape trucks every morning on my drive to work. Now, none. I doubt anyone is having contractors do home improvements right now, don't want people in the house. Once you start to think about the domino effect of a shut down you realize a lot of fuel users are affected.

And I bet no one is making jet fuel right now. Or much fuel for shipping.