www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 24th, 2020, 20:55   #1
Rstowe34

TDI(s): 2004 1.9 BEW
Default New to the TDI world, Don't Blast!

Ok, I've been in the LD pickup world of Diesels for 12 years. I've recently acquired a completely stock 04 Jetta BEW M/T. What's the starting point on any aftermarket goodies? Mainly looking for fuel economy. I've fell in love with the car even though she's a bit of a fixer upper.
Rstowe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 21:19   #2
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstowe34 View Post
Ok, I've been in the LD pickup world of Diesels for 12 years. I've recently acquired a completely stock 04 Jetta BEW M/T. What's the starting point on any aftermarket goodies? Mainly looking for fuel economy. I've fell in love with the car even though she's a bit of a fixer upper.
Depends on your budget but possibly a stbye 1 or 1.5 tune would possibly be what you're looking for but the torque bug bites and it bites hard.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 21:41   #3
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
Depends on your budget but possibly a stbye 1 or 1.5 tune would possibly be what you're looking for but the torque bug bites and it bites hard.

nahh. i didnt start looking at delete kits and a bigger turbo after i got a non delete stage 2 tune and dsg tune.. in all reality.... its addictive. amazing how quick a 4500lb wagen is.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 22:54   #4
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Not sure what you consider LD diesel pickups (I think Hilux, some might think Cummins, Duramax, etc) but just like anything you want to put power behind, start with the supporting mods first.
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 07:06   #5
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Most mod for more power. That car is pretty efficient as is, a chip tune can help some. The key is keeping everything working proper. They're simple cars, but quite different. You'll see very soon reading here, a lot of posts you see for an A4 will be for the VE engine, the PDs have a completely different fuel system, most everything else is much the same.

VW TDI Search Engine
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:03   #6
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Most mod for more power. That car is pretty efficient as is, a chip tune can help some. The key is keeping everything working proper. They're simple cars, but quite different. You'll see very soon reading here, a lot of posts you see for an A4 will be for the VE engine, the PDs have a completely different fuel system, most everything else is much the same.

VW TDI Search Engine
There's a point to be discussed here. When you make more power, you are inevitably increasing efficiency. What you do with the efficiency is a while nother conversation but increasing efficiency will give you more power usually. The Prius is a good example of taking performance away in the name of fuel efficiency. Proper operation is critical too.

Old March 25th, 2020, 09:40   #7
mjydrafter
Veteran Member

If it's a fixer upper, I would take care of all the deferred maintenance before modifying anything.

Timing belt & stuff

all filters & fluids

Then drive it bit for a baseline.
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:45   #8
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
If it's a fixer upper, I would take care of all the deferred maintenance before modifying anything.

Timing belt & stuff

all filters & fluids

Then drive it bit for a baseline.
That's the best point this far, if you can't prove the belt was done, do it. And all the fluids.

Old March 25th, 2020, 17:03   #9
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
There's a point to be discussed here. When you make more power, you are inevitably increasing efficiency....
Not necessarily. You may be able to make more power by increasing efficiency, but it will only be a small amount in these cars since they are already inherently efficient.

Making more power, say to the 130hp range and above, will be done usually at the expense of efficiency. The trade offs to produce more power are done without doing the other things that allow the highest efficiency levels to be obtained.

For example, to get the most power in a diesel, you lower the compression ratio so you can run the boost up and cram more air into the cylinder. More fuel is injected. You will, at the very least, incur more pumping losses. Additionally, a loss in compression ratio will mean that you lose efficiency as well. Why would you drop the compression ratio? Because the block will fail if you don't.

Trying to produce huge power from any engine, let alone a slow spinning diesel is an exercise in compromises, and if the goal is power, efficiency will be compromised. You can't get around the physics.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 18:09   #10
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Not necessarily. You may be able to make more power by increasing efficiency, but it will only be a small amount in these cars since they are already inherently efficient.

Making more power, say to the 130hp range and above, will be done usually at the expense of efficiency. The trade offs to produce more power are done without doing the other things that allow the highest efficiency levels to be obtained.

For example, to get the most power in a diesel, you lower the compression ratio so you can run the boost up and cram more air into the cylinder. More fuel is injected. You will, at the very least, incur more pumping losses. Additionally, a loss in compression ratio will mean that you lose efficiency as well. Why would you drop the compression ratio? Because the block will fail if you don't.

Trying to produce huge power from any engine, let alone a slow spinning diesel is an exercise in compromises, and if the goal is power, efficiency will be compromised. You can't get around the physics.

Cheers,

PH
Yes and no, high power diesels are fairly short duty cycle and yes you may loose some but I might have lost 2 or 3 mpg and I'm well over 130 hp. I do put my foot in it every time I drive it assuming it gets to temp, there are seldom 2 minute trips but I try to keep them to a minimum.

The meaning of my statement is to make more power you have to gain efficiency, what you do with it is your business but performance efficiency has to be figured in, if you drive a 150hp car fairly normal you'll get close to 50 mpg. When you get into the wild builds yeah you'll notice it big time but gasoline engines are very similar and maybe more sensitive to efficiency and how you drive them, had a SB400 with a big single plane intake and a .698 roller cam and it'd get close to 20 mpg in a gen 3 Camaro if I were just cruising but the second I opened the secondaries, I could almost watch the gas gauge go down.

When you squeeze more power out of the same package you are more efficient period. Yes fuel mileage can and most often does suffer under a lead foot but it can be minimal depending on driving habbits or it can be atrocious.

1.9 liters doesn't mean you have to live life with 90 hp forever. Your wallet has the most to do with the hp number.

Old March 26th, 2020, 09:36   #11
Rstowe34

My LD is 3/4-1 Ton pickups. I've ran a Duramax, Powerstroke, and Cummins repair business for 12 years now and have slowed that down to part time mainly evenings and weekends. Just wanted to test the waters and play with this baby. Im totally loving the car at the moment. I got a great opportunity doing Wholesale parts at a dealership now which takes some commuting, so I was just getting a feel on how to maximize my fuel mileage. Thanks everyone for the replies
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:48   #12
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
When you squeeze more power out of the same package you are more efficient period. ...
This statement is incorrect.
Efficiency is the amount of work performed by using a given amount of energy.
Having an engine produce more power by allowing it to use more fuel could be either:
more efficient, equally efficient or less efficient depending on:
the amount of fuel used versus the amount of work performed.
Old March 26th, 2020, 10:28   #13
sriracha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg+/-

A stage 1.5 Malone tune, with the additional Dynamic EGR tune, increased torque and fuel efficiency on my BEW wagon. I would recommend that setup as a conservative mod. However, this will overpower a stock clutch, so be prepared to upgrade the clutch as you add more powah’.
I even passed the CA smog test with the tune operating. It doesn’t roll coal, which I prefer.
Old March 27th, 2020, 07:22   #14
Rstowe34

The clutch is fairly new but was just a stock replacement. I definitely don't want to over power it just yet.
Old March 27th, 2020, 09:32   #15
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Not worry, just tell the tuner what you got.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote