B5/B5.5 specific how-to threads/posts

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We use a machine here, hooked up to the cooler lines, works great. We use Pentosin branded ATF1 (a golden colored synthetic ATF, same stuff the 01M/01P uses, as well as some other ZF transmissions... you can also use ZF's Lifeguard fluid, but it costs more).

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have a quick question about my trunk "gas springs" replacements on 04 Passat TDI and my 99 1/2 Jetta......

They seem to use the same exact gas springs to open the trunk. But here is the odd part, on the jetta they installed with the shock body attached to the trunk itself with inner shaft pushing down twords the car.....

While on the Passat the body of the shock ("gas spring " as they seem to be called by the sellers I am looking at) is mounted to the body of the car with the center that pushes the trunk open is mounted to the trunk itself...?....

Two things,

1) are they currently mounted correctly ?

2) are they interchangeable ?

Thanks for any insight on this....

Last edited:

3ok

TDI
Jetta 2005 Graphite Blue
I now own a 2014 Passat TDI that had been recalled and certified by the factory. I was told this newer 2.0 engine has a OH Cam chain rather than a belt like my old TDI Jetta I owned - is that true? And, what is the replacement, or adjustment time for the 2.0 diesel engine belt/chain? If this is addressed elsewhere that I missed, I apologize in advance. Thanks

oilhammer

TDI
I now own a 2014 Passat TDI that had been recalled and certified by the factory. I was told this newer 2.0 engine has a OH Cam chain rather than a belt like my old TDI Jetta I owned - is that true? And, what is the replacement, or adjustment time for the 2.0 diesel engine belt/chain? If this is addressed elsewhere that I missed, I apologize in advance. Thanks

You have posted in a thread that is in a forum that has nothing to do with your car.

However, if you open your owner's manual maintenance section you'll find your car's timing belt should be replaced at 130k mile intervals.

3ok

TDI
Jetta 2005 Graphite Blue
Thank you so much, oilhammer, for the kind and courteous information you provided; for you certainly have a way with words. Have a nice day.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CV Quick Boot & bearing repack, anyone done this on a 04 passat?

First let me start with I plan on doing a proper axle rebuild as soon as my health improves...

My right outer cv boot is cracked, has anyone here ever used a "quick boot" replacement on one of these to get to the point you can rebuild the axle?

I have had good luck with these over the last ~30 years in a pinch on many other makes with these lasting until I was able to do a proper fix rebuild...a few times years...

I haven't been in there yet to see what kind of room in there is in there to access & remove the old boot once I remove the brake caliper.?.

Thanks for any insight, my body is not being real cooperative right now , my hands & legs are in not so good shape right now. I am looking to just clean really well & repact the cv joint then glue in the half/boots in for now if there is enough room to do so....

oilhammer

TDI
You could not ask for an easier drive axle to R&R on any FWD car than a B5 (you can even do it without taking the wheel off). So I am not sure trying to shortcut it with some "quick boot" is going to be worthy of consideration, especially if it involves taking the caliper off.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your right , I did the quick boot without removing anything. Just jacked the right side up seeing plenty of room to remove the old torn boot. Cleaned the cv joint up really well, repacked it , then used tape to protect the back side to keep grease out of the seam for gluing. Then I Glued the near side, then installed the new clamps.....

To my surprise that was it....

a Very simple repair compared to what I expected compared to the cars I've done these before.

This was not experienced by me before on all the cars I have replaced an axle on, before the repair I had a slight pull to the right. But now it goes straight as an arrow,

40+ years of doing similar to pretty much to all in the porsche/audi/vw cars from the 70s to my most recent cars I''ve owned I never had I had a cv pull on one side due what appears to be a unlubricated outer cv joint...?...

...Plenty of one's that looked like this one without any pull, it wasn't clicking on turns under power either....????...?..

MisterKB

TDI
2005 Passat GLS
so i have read some threads about manual swaps, but i have not seen any dedicated treads to the subject. may be some options for different engines like 6 speed vs. 5 speed tips and tricks.
thanks

Wstiers

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 TDI
Does anybody have a video link, or step by step with pictures for a 2005 BHW 2.0 Passat TDI EGR, and EGR Cooler delete?

oilhammer

TDI
Is the cooler "bad"? If not, software alone can do that... but it isn't really necessary. If the cooler is bad, and you don't want to replace it, you can just buy a "heater core bypass kit" (google it) and attach that to the two coolant hoses that go to and from the EGR cooler. You need that circuit flowing, because that is the heater. You'll still need a software change. You can find the EGR block off plates easily (same as any ALH or BEW engine would use), but you can just leave the EGR valve itself in place. It just won't ever open.

Wstiers

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 TDI
Is the cooler "bad"? If not, software alone can do that... but it isn't really necessary. If the cooler is bad, and you don't want to replace it, you can just buy a "heater core bypass kit" (google it) and attach that to the two coolant hoses that go to and from the EGR cooler. You need that circuit flowing, because that is the heater. You'll still need a software change. You can find the EGR block off plates easily (same as any ALH or BEW engine would use), but you can just leave the EGR valve itself in place. It just won't ever open.
I believe the cooler is beginning to leak a little bit. I would like to remove the entire thing and tune it. I also want it gone for the hood space so I can see all around the engine bay easier. Do you have a recommended kit? I have the egr block off plates ready. For some reason I cant find any 2005 BHW 2.0 passat videos. I’m mechanically inclined it just makes me a little nervous as I havent seen even a picture of it removed, plated, and bypassed.

oilhammer

TDI
The BHW is not that much different than the others, really. It is just turned longitudinally.

Here is one out of the car:

The EGR cooler is held on to the intake manifold with only three bolts, BUT, one of them is right near the VNT actuator, and is tricky to get out. An easier way is to just take the whole intake manifold off with the cooler still attached. Six Allen head screws hold the intake on, and you just need a good long ball-ended Allen bit to get them off. The lower EGR pipe is a bit tricky, too, you need some good swivels and such to get those fasteners off. Once the air cleaner assembly is removed, you can see down in there, it isn't that bad really. In some respects, it is easier than the transverse cars where you are working blind reaching around the back side of the head against the firewall... at least on the BHW you can "see" everything.