Key Fob Removal Difficulty

tausc82

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I have a 2013 Touareg TDI with about 65K miles. I love the car for many reasons, however, many times it is difficult to remove the key fob after shutting the engine off. I will have to restart the car and try again. Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 restarts. Crazy. My wife hates to take the car for this very reason.
I was curious if others have encountered the problem? If so, any suggested solutions? I'm sure a new ignition will not be cheap. Thanks.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
was it a recut key? does the other key also do this? could be a number of things, 2 come to mind. the park switch (key will never come out if the switch goes bad) try fiddling with the shifter. if auto. or the blade has a lil nub at the end making removal hard. it depends if the key comes back all the way to the lock.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
was it a recut key? does the other key also do this? could be a number of things, 2 come to mind. the park switch (key will never come out if the switch goes bad) try fiddling with the shifter. if auto. or the blade has a lil nub at the end making removal hard. it depends if the key comes back all the way to the lock.
its not a key it uses the fob.

you are just turning the key fob quickly to right, once off just pull straight out? i dont use mine as i have push to start but it is a bit finicky to get use to

tausc82

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
its not a key it uses the fob.
you are just turning the key fob quickly to right, once off just pull straight out? i dont use mine as i have push to start but it is a bit finicky to get use to
Thanks. Sometimes is's fine. Today, twice, no problem. It does seem like the little tabs on the fob are a bit rough. I will try the other fob which I thought was a good idea too.

I usually pull the ring the fob is attached to. When I pull on the fob directly it seems less likely to come out.

Will try the other fob and report back.....

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Try waiting a few seconds before you remove the key. That helped with our Touareg. If you pull it out immediately, it sticks. Wait 5-10 seconds and it works fine.

tausc82

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
Thanks. Sometimes is's fine. Today, twice, no problem. It does seem like the little tabs on the fob are a bit rough. I will try the other fob which I thought was a good idea too.
I usually pull the ring the fob is attached to. When I pull on the fob directly it seems less likely to come out.
Will try the other fob and report back.....
I tried the other key fob and the battery was dead. Unable to easily open the cover to get to the battery I went to the VW dealership. I met with the parts guy who said they can be tricky.

While there I asked if others have problems removing the key fob from the ignition. He said sometimes the two tabs in the ignition that hold the fob in place can get worn or not release the key easily. He said it's expensive to replace that ignition. :eek:

I'm going to try to bobbiemartin's advice, wait 5-10 seconds before removing. Thanks.

tausc82

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
I tried the other key fob and the battery was dead. Unable to easily open the cover to get to the battery I went to the VW dealership. I met with the parts guy who said they can be tricky.
While there I asked if others have problems removing the key fob from the ignition. He said sometimes the two tabs in the ignition that hold the fob in place can get worn or not release the key easily. He said it's expensive to replace that ignition. :eek:
I'm going to try to bobbiemartin's advice, wait 5-10 seconds before removing. Thanks.
The 5-10 second rule seems to be the trick. Thanks bobbiemartin!!