GHL Downpipe... We need a car to fit it. MESA AZ!

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Does anyone live near MESA Arizona? I've been workign with GHL to develop us a nice downpipe for us TDI'rs... one that won't break, is reasonably priced, looks good, resilient, and performance enhancing...
We have all dimensions, but Jeff and Brian don't feel comfortable turning it loose without test fitting it to a car.

Does anyone here live near Mesa AZ and be willing to spend a short afternoon having your car fit properly. I'm sure a proper deal could be worked to get you a very good price on the DP should you volunteer for such an activity.

Any help out there?

Dan Lai, feel like a road trip? I bet they would install your entire turbo back for you... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sushi, road trip?

Here's the background, for all others:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...part=1&vc=1

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...part=1&vc=1

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Wow, that's a really long drive! I'm not a driving monster like others here, and my wife won't understand me driving out there for a downpipe and exhaust. Gotta keep the peace you know.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

There must be someone out in that area that can help out, at least I'm hoping so! I checked the Arizona vag com list, but I don't think any of those members post anymore... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Brian's got a call out to the local clubs, but it seems noone has a TDI there.

ANYONE...
Bueller. Bueller.

There gonna make an attempt if they can't find a car by Monday. This is just a good opportunuity for someone to score a sweet DP for cheap, and make sure the dimensions are right.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Chris,

I talked to jeff @ ghl last week about my coming down for an
exhaust for a NB TDI - probably, of not much use for your case.

Did a mapquest and I think it's a mere 700+ miles from MRY to
Mesa..about 11 hrs and change. Jeff said he would be willing to
do a Saturday gig if I come since having started a new job, I have
zero vacation to burn - hence, it's a leave Friday afternoon;
put the exhaust in Saturday and drive back Sunday.

And I hate driving at night ONLY because of critters that like to
meander out in front my cars - I've taken care of Bambi's dad;
almost got his uncle; and it seems like I'm destined to get his
aunt.

I'm game to go, but I don't think the fitment is exactly transferrable
from NB to Jetta/Golf. However, it does give us Bug owners a leg up.

Advise....

Cheers,

Lon Manning

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Lon...
I just checked the PN's on the TDI Jetta, Golf and New Beetle OEM downpipes and they're all the same. That means they are identical, and thus mount identically. PN 1JO 253 058 GX

Your trip Saturday would serve 2 positive purposes.

1) Your car would serve as the Downpipe test car for ALL A4 platform cars. If it fits in the Beetle, it'll fit in the Jetta/Golf. Please go!

2) You would have the first GHL in a Beetle, which would serve as a template for all others. The cat-back exhaust on your car is not that different at all... It just bends down in the back a bit. Do you have a Turbo S lower valance installed? Please go.

That means GHL would have full turbo-back systems for all MKIV TDI's.

Lon, Please go. It'll serve us all if you can do it. Hell, I'll payapl you some cash for fuel.
Please go... I want my downpipe too, but want it to fit the first time.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Chris,

I am looking to get a turbo-back system from GHL - shouldn't
make a diff, but mine is a 2002. Can't go this Saturday, but
Memorial Day weekend would be great EXCEPT for the poor guy
stuck working on a holiday weekend. I might be able (MIGHT!)
to go earlier, but it has to be a Saturday install.

I'll talk to Jeff and see if he's agreeable. I'm not interested in a
polished finish - though, I guess to could pimp my ride and put
neon underneath (no way, jack!).

I'm looking at a 2.5 inch system...any problems? I know others
want 3 inch.

No "S" valance (valence?). Would like to, but other things come first.

Will advise....

ldm

Mahoutsukai

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Brian's got a call out to the local clubs, but it seems noone has a TDI there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so offended by this remark... /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess it's hard to understand, everyone doesn't have time to check all the threads on vwvortex.com and tdiclub.com
So, we created our own group... and the more active people (like me) just email notify all the Arizonans when a GTG or something else applies to them:
Yahoo AZTDIclub group
We have 46 members so far... oh yeah, and a GTG comming up on the 22nd of this month:
TDI BBQ GTG May 22 Phoenix, AZ

BTW: I'm the one who will probably get the downpipe fitted... my co-worker decided against it for now. Even if I decide against it though, there will probably be someone else our group that will go for it.

One of the hesitations I personally have: Isn't the Upsolute Stage III making a down pipe too?

At this moment I am waiting to hear back from Jeff or Bryan at GHL on what they want to do. I'm leaving for the Netherlands this Monday, so if I decide to get it done on mine we're still at least one week away from fittment.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Bruce right?

Those guys are slammed, I'd be surprised if they're scope of looking went beyond a few phone calls.

Yes, Upsolute is putting out a new DP as the OEM DP will be incompatible with the upgraded turbo.

2 Options:

1) Use your car for fitment only... Buy nothing (or pickup a nice Cat-back while you're there /images/graemlins/wink.gif ). That's the purpose of the trip anyway, you may just score the first one if you so choose.

2) Go ahead and get it, then sell it later... I'm sure you'd have no problem moving it.

If you got that kind kind of scratch to throw into a turbo kit, taking a $30-40 hit on the sale of a lightly used downpipe won't hurt.

It's all about that instat gratification!

Seriously, if you could get down there before you leave, WE ALL would really appreciate it. I want one as bad as GHL want to bring one to market.

Represent us well young Jedi...

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
If no one else can make it, I would be willing to run up there this weekend. I live in TUS and it takes me less than two hours to Jet(ta) up there.
PM me if you still need a volunteer.

YMMV

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

AZGolf

Veteran Member
I am in Mesa, AZ every day for work. I can be a guinea pig for the down pipe if no one is up to bat.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Damn..i wanted to go but...
2567 miles for me...

Got to wait
come on guys.. i want a downpipe to compliment my side exit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
AZGolf,
please call Jeff or Brian ASAP...
Since you IN Mesa every day, why don't you stop over and see them on your lunch hour?

MaxThrust, Feel free to give a call as well. I don't car who goes, just some one commit to going, coordinate with GHL, and get it done. We're all waiting.

GHL: 877-930-0911

Kennedy

AZGolf

Veteran Member
Good news. I am taking my car in tomorrow for a fit check with GHL. I am currently running a 3" catback system so hopefully I can get a cat delete down pipe to go with it. By the way, my PSD Excursion and thousands of F series pickup trucks do not come with a cat from the factory so you all can step off your emission high horses.

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
I wish I could get down to help with this but just have too many other things going on right now.
Good luck.
I'm quite interested in getting a turbo back with a cat and no muffler.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, my PSD Excursion and thousands of F series pickup trucks do not come with a cat from the factory so you all can step off your emission high horses

[/ QUOTE ]

These vehicles are classified as light trucks, which do not have to meet the same emissions requirements as passenger cars. That is why they don't have catalysts. When the light trucks have to meet the passenger car emissions, then you will start seeing catalysts on them.

AZGolf

Veteran Member
And your point being?????

Are you saying light truck don't pollute the air? Are you saying OTR trucks don't pollute the air? Or are you saying the EPA is a political swing arm? Do you really believe in global warming?

Do you even know why light trucks and OTR trucks have different emission requirements? My Excursion is not classified as a light truck by the EPA. Excursion with gas engine does have a cat on it.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Good news. I am taking my car in tomorrow for a fit check with GHL. I am currently running a 3" catback system so hopefully I can get a cat delete down pipe to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome... That means these shoudl be available for order Monday.

Please be sure to size up a 2.5in system too, as I think most will want that. 3" pipe seems to be a bit of overkill. Who made your 3" cat-back? No matter, you'll probably dump it after you see GHL's work. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Please call me when you complete and let me know how it went. 703.568.4479

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Aren't you being a bit touchy?

Nobody said anything about increased emissions until you brought it up.

Why don't we just stay on topic here and you can tell us how the GHL downpipe works out for you.

Others have rodded out the core of the OEM cat and reported perhaps 1 HP increase at most.

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Most people get flamed for mentioning anything about removal of the cat so I think he was taking cover. I for one have found that since my downpipe broke cleanly off the flange that I now have less power, zero back pressure on this vehicle may not be a good thing, so if you do "race" your TDI do yourself a favor and get a good sport muffler to make sure you have some back pressure. . . 2 cents given Later /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Most people get flamed for mentioning anything about removal of the cat so I think he was taking cover. I for one have found that since my downpipe broke cleanly off the flange that I now have less power, zero back pressure on this vehicle may not be a good thing, so if you do "race" your TDI do yourself a favor and get a good sport muffler to make sure you have some back pressure. . . 2 cents given Later /images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope... Not true.
Any kind of backpressure on a turbo'd car is a bad thing, which slows turbo spoolup.

Do what you want with your cat... Just understand YOU are responsible for your actions.

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Why is it then that I feel a major loss of low end power since my flange decided to get divorced from the down pipe? ? ? /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif

AZGolf

Veteran Member
Hold off on the ordering until the end of the week. They are making a jig for the downpipe and the first one won't be ready for fitting until Wednesday or so. I took some pictures and will post them when the new downpipe is installed. The downpipe will be 2.5" and will have the same structural support as the factory pipe.

I am going to keep my 3" cat back system and just connect it to the new down pipe, less the cat of course. I will keep you all updated when the new downpipe is installed. Stay tuned.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am flying into PHX on tuesday evening. i am coming from Philadelphia. If you are planning on stopping by GHL, Do you mind if I looky over the shoulder? /images/graemlins/grin.gif I was planning on making a stop by GHL during my visit anyway.

My daughter is finishing pre-school this thursday, and starts kindergarden this year. Sniff sniff she growing up too fast.

I will pm ya with my cell phone number, and I will staying in Scottsdale wit my cuz.

Gero

I have an 03 jetta wagon, BTW

TribalMinds

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, White
Excellent, can't wait to see the photos! Any word on pricing? Will the pipe have all of the bungs for the sensors? Thanks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
We've got dimensions, and it's under construction... We are all set.
It'll be here in about a week. I'll run it for a few weeks to make sure she holds up, then GHL will begin filling orders.

Appreciate all the interest. Feel free to contact GHL if you're local, head on down and have em throw some shiny pipes in for ya.

CassidyRed

TDI
05 Golf TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I am flying into PHX on tuesday evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long will you be staying in Arizona? We are having a TDI bbq on the 22nd of this month! /images/graemlins/cool.gif