Anyone gel up in this brutal cold?

Rjamesohio

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Wondering if anyone has had an issue today or yesterday here in the Midwest? My car hasn’t moved and it started right up in my garage but I’m guessing if I was on the road and parked outside overnight there could have been a risk without power service additive. Upper Midwest is in the -25 range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
With windchill it’s -40 in the Chicago area. Luckily my TDi has been in the garage all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
the other day i put some of my fuel winterizer additive in about 3/4tank. i put a little more than an oz. tonight in my area its going to be the coldest it looks in a few years or more. about 4F or less. with the treated fuel the amount i put in should do it for the next couple of nights.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Not sure if it was due to fuel gelling or weak battery but my car wouldn't start today afternoon. Those temperatures in Chicago are brutal. I cycled the glow plugs four times and tried turning it another four or five times but the starter would hardly move.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
its good to have a multi-meter for situations like that. if you have one take it to test the battery. you should have better than 12.5V (at the battery)for the motor to crank and start.

Satsonic

TDI
Not sure if it was due to fuel gelling or weak battery but my car wouldn't start today afternoon. Those temperatures in Chicago are brutal. I cycled the glow plugs four times and tried turning it another four or five times but the starter would hardly move.

Battery. Get a NOCO GB40 as backup Li-Ion Jump starter.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Currently this evening it's -27*F and forecast to go to -42*F actual temp in my locality (north central MN). Winds have settled down from earlier. "Windchill" was -62*F this morning, not that it matters to vehicles. Haven't started/moved the TDI for weeks. Not enough garage space and been using the Caravan for work, towing and errands.
Saw a few semi-trucks and a cube delivery van stalled out. The cube van had the fuel filter off and the driver was gone, assume he was looking for replacement or a tow to a warm garage.
Be safe, it's brutal cold out there.

Last edited:

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Battery. Get a NOCO GB40 as backup Li-Ion Jump starter.

Used to have one of those but my ex in law stole it from me. I'm gonna have to look for a replacement.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Be sure to fill up ONLY at high diesel turnover stations along major routes to avoid getting fuel contaminated with water from condensation. Go where the big rigs go to fuel up. Also regularly use the PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) with every tankful. This is also important to prevent sending your pump and injectors to an early grave. Free water in diesel fuel will destroy the HPFP in a CR diesel in no time at all and must be avoided at ALL costs!

Very often gelling problems are actually icing problems due to water from condensation and not actually gelling. Property winterized fuel won't gel at the temps you are seeing but you can have icing problems long before that.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I started both of my TDI's this morning (slightly below Zero F) without issues. This with my 2000 Beetle having only 3 working glow plugs. The other needs to have the head pulled to get it out. Somebody who has a tool that can extract a rounded off glow plug might be able to get it out.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My four year old AGM battery is DOA after sitting outside for 24 hours in the Chicago area burbs. I'm currently waiting on the above mentioned charger.
I suspect a drain from the CCM circuit according to VCDS.

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
I’m contemplating taking the1.9 TDi out of the garage. My AGM battery is 1 yr old and I do not have any additives in the fuel (but I do refuel every week for the amount I drive).

Do you think I’ll have restart problems after it sits for 8 hours in an open parking lot? (I’m in Chicago-Land)

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’m contemplating taking the1.9 TDi out of the garage. My AGM battery is 1 yr old and I do not have any additives in the fuel (but I do refuel every week for the amount I drive).

Do you think I’ll have restart problems after it sits for 8 hours in an open parking lot? (I’m in Chicago-Land)

If your battery, and starter are in good shape, and you have no issues with air getting into your fuel lines and your cam lobes (2006?) are not worn, and of course the glow plug system is working properly then yes it should start.

It’s -10 here this morning and I just plugged the frost heater on my 05 in for the first time this winter. I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn’t start, my daughters 03 is sitting right beside it and I’m tempted to try and start that also. She has the day off and doesn’t really need it started.

The only reason I plugged mine in was because I absolutely need it today , I have no backup if it doesn’t start. Already this winter it has started at -8 without a problem, without being plugged in.

Satsonic

TDI
Yep 2006 Jetta TDi. All of the above mentioned are in good shape...out I go. I’ll report back at end of day thanks for the info

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
As fate would have it, I whacked a deer on Tuesday and I only busted the radiator oddly enough, no body damage or anything. This saves my TDI from having to work during the artic blast, which it has always done regardless of the temp so long as I have the additive in the fuel fro the last 8 years. I did just have problems with my rental not starting a few minutes ago, a gasser Nissan Non-Ultima brand freakin new just a few months off the assembly line. I called the road service number, but with all of the action today, I doubt they get here before 10 in the morning, and it isn't the battery, the starter does turn over at a decent rate, or at least it did before I maybe made too many attempts in disbelief of my current situation.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta

That's what happened to me, it started no problem in the morning but my car was in the garage. When I got to work outside temperature was -23. After sitting at work for about 8-9 hours it wouldn't start. Today is even worse but I found old jumper cables so I'll try jump starting it today afternoon when the outside temperature should be around -2.... We'll see what happens.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
look at the temps in your area, from what everyone is saying they re quite LO!
as you post after this, it seems all other things are in order on you '06, but you need winterizer fuel additive. if it gets below 10dg F additive is smart, below this with out additive, fuel might gel. dont find out, get some additive, and add some most additives are about 2oz to 10gals. for colder weather you may add 1oz more.
i think an '06 needs fuel additive anyways in all fuel fill-ups. (lube??).

Satsonic

TDI
Ok it’s the end of the day and I’m reporting back. Below is the image of the outside temperature at our parking lot at around 7:18a was -25 F.

The vehicle was parked for ~6 hours until I went out for some lunch. The vehicle hesitated slightly but started right up. Tank was full with Shell Diesel (no additive). I left the vehicle running while enjoying my Al’s Big Beef (with hot peppers). The vehicle ran for around 40 mins total during lunch. I typically head home around 4p and the temp was at -2, vehicle started right up. YMMV but I think for me I think having a only 1 yr old AGM battery was the key. Either way thanks for all that commented and provided tons of insight. Chicago land “warms” up tomorrow so the adventure continues ...

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
That's what happened to me, it started no problem in the morning but my car was in the garage. When I got to work outside temperature was -23. After sitting at work for about 8-9 hours it wouldn't start. Today is even worse but I found old jumper cables so I'll try jump starting it today afternoon when the outside temperature should be around -2.... We'll see what happens.

How old is your battery?

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
How old is your battery?

4 or 5 years old. BTW. I jump started my TDI today after work and drove it home without any issues. Once I got home I checked the battery with volt meter and it read 12.8v. I wonder if maybe I should extend the time my glow plugs are on. Either way, I always turn ignition on two or three times before I start cranking it.

Satsonic

TDI
Your battery is likely done (for winters) because it’s not just voltage, but the CCA that is more important in starting a Diesel engine. Advanced Auto has an excellent tester to properly test your battery for free. I recommend having it tested and replace with AGM if it fails the test.

I suppose you could get yourself one of those NOCO jump starters and likely get more time out of your existing battery, but I personally would get a new battery if it fails the test.

Last edited:

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Your battery is likely done (for winters) but you could get yourself one of those amazing NOCO jump starters and likely get more time out of your existing battery.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wish those batteries would last little longer. I remember my father once bought a Die-hard battery for his 97 Mercedes and he just recently traded it in, that battery had 17+ years and it never gave him any problems.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You folks south of the Michigan border got some unusually cold weather, good thing it has been short lived.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Batteries last longer when properly cared for as well. A good charging system with clean connections. Never let the battery deeply discharge or die. If wet keep it filled properly. Check cables regularly as well. I have had sulphated cables inside the jacket that couldn't be seen but could be felt when the cable was bent back and forth or cut open. Put it on a charger every now and then and let it fully charge.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Chicago land “warms” up tomorrow so the adventure continues ...
i think it was the world news, by sun or monday its supposed to be at least a 70dg turn around in weather(around chi-land).
around here, its still cold this morning, sat its supposed to warm up, and by sun, monday its supposed to be high 40s or even into the 50s. some south where my garage is its the same, a little warmer maybe getting into the 60s by mon, and (warm)for most of the week. im headed south to my garage, im going to do some engine work. got plenty to do, am getting the last of my parts orders together.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
My BEW sat for a few hours the other day probably 1;30 to 5:30 or so. The temp dropped fast and i had forgotten to put conditioner in on the last tank, it was around 30 degrees or so and i normally dont bother till the temp drops more. Well it was almost a bad night trying to get it to start. It sputtered and carried on for about 5 minutes, almost shutting down so i ran inside and grabbed some diesel 911, dumped most of it in and in another 5 minutes or so it cleared up and ran great! Btw though guys if you want some good help with winter starting try using Amsoil Cetane Boost. I wasnt a believer in Amsoil till i started using it and Im sold on the cetane boost so far! Its not super expensive, raises the Cetane number 7 points, and definitely helps with cold starts! I think i can tell a small improvement in driving performance too but ya know how that is... But anyway give it a try if you wanna have better winter performance! they also have a Cetane boost/winter conditioner in one bottle that works well too. Anyway just my .02 on whats helping my car out this winter!

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i ve been using amsoil cetane boost for maybe a year less or more now. it comes in a 64 oz bottle. its about $23-$25+shipping. thats straight from amsoil, if you order from a (independent)dealer i doubt it d be such a reasonable price.
like most additives its 2oz to 10gals of fuel. or 1oz per 5gals. as most fill-ups are about 10gallons, use about 2oz per. a big bottle of that stuff will last over 6 or 8 months. for normal mileage, fill-ups. -*its a small price per fill-up*- to add. should add ~7cetane points at that amount.
im sure for normal cold-starts and all starts it helps. for these cold weather and extreme cold starts cold-flow, anti-gel, winterizer (<same thing)will be the most help. keep fuel from gelling, and flowing when cold.
i use the cetane boost to try to get better combustion. hoping for uniformity in combustion, in the chamber(s). added economy and performance, theres bound to be some--, i will take.
happen to have had very good results from amsoil products. for diesel and gas. i use a good number of their products, for some time now.
the only thing is the power steering topic i had in the mk3, a3 section of forum, some of the members thought im using the wrong type of p/s fluid for our models. p/s moves smoooth tho. hope it works out.

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
Someone on this thread mentioned PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle). It’s available at my local Walmart for $10 for 32 oz bottle.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/POWER-SER...Fuel-Supplement-Amber-32-oz-G5573246/16644698

As it only takes 2 oz per 10 Gal, this should last ~16 fill ups. I think this is the most cost effective (yet recommended) winter start solution I’ve found.

Also, I’m just looking for it to start, not really seeking performance so YMMV.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
the power service stuff may work. i kno it does, i ve used it on the past.
im just wary of a few things with their products. 1 some people who have had 1.6 pumps have had a problem of that stuff doing in pumps. i cannt remember all the info, its been some time. i remember some of the problems were for performance and built pumps. it seems, back then, some had problems with the PS stuff. i was wary and decided to go, for winterizer, for a better product. as a fuel additive, i use amsoil, injector additive and add also cetane boost.
another thing. i have some videos of when the NHRA ran diesel drags. i saw a few clips of the power service dragster. i thought they are near the bottom of what people are doing. dont get me wrong, their dragster has money in it, and i it looks like a shop build. i just didnt like how they did stuff, *also, on the track. thinking they werent a real good team.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Here in Edmonton we are lucky. WINTER DIESEL goes to -48 C. It's only around -20 to -26 C over the weekend...My TDI starts on the first try and runs smooth like a VW should.