Random Stalling problem

Joe Campbell

TDI
1997 Passat Sedan
OK, I think another post may have solved this problem for me potentially but just to see if anyone else has any other ideas about this I thought I would post.

Heres what I have got. The problem is intermittant. Every now and again when the moon aligns the car will stall for no good reason. It could be driving perfectly and then stall or be sitting at a light and just poop out. If left to its own devices about 20-30 seconds later the car will be able to be re-started. However if you try to restart it right away it will just spin forever never actually turning over (As if there were no fuel being injected).

In addition to this, when the car stalls the dash lights are different... under normal start conditions the car will have the pre-heat and check engine light lit... the pre-heat goes out and the car can be started - when the car stalls... if you turn on the key the pre-heater light and Check light don't come on - which is how I can tell when I will be able to re-start the car again. Anyone that may have the answer to this one - I would be forever greatful as the dealship in my area charges an ARM AND A LEG (
) for service.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Campbell (If you could post and respond to me via email that would be great.)

Joe Campbell
jcampbell@inventa.com
joercampbell@comcast.net

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Relay 109. 100% certainty - there is no doubt. It's the main power supply relay for the engine electronics. About $20 at the dealer; search forums using "109" as a keyword and you'll get hundreds of hits ...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes.

Not a dumb question.

Joe Campbell

TDI
1997 Passat Sedan
New part ordered today... I found the relay in my 1997 passat, it was labeled 109... I looked at it wrong and it failed altogether... Now the car will simply NOT start. Hopfully the new one will do better. Thanks for the help will reply when installed.

Joe

Just had this problem for the first time this morning. Thank god a friend suggested this site. Why does my brand new car suck so much? It's been in the shop like clockwork, every two weeks since January. Now that's RELIABLE! They adjust the quasar clock off of this car. Oh well, at least I know it's not serious this time.

Joe Campbell

TDI
1997 Passat Sedan
Part arrived today. Installed and the car is back to running like a champ, thanks all. I will have to remember to ask the dealership for extras if I should by the wagon that I have been looking at (Need something up sized to handle one more kid).

Thanks for all the input.
Joe

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Here is the story:

Traveled 4.5 hours from my residence (Murray, Ky to Lexington, KY) average temp on trip 27f. 2012 Jetta TDI (Automatic DSG) 235,000 miles well maintained and on maintenance schedule. Parked the car for about 10 minutes after the drive. Got back in and TDI started right up, pressed on accelerator, TDI shuttered and died. Put the vehicle in neutral and it hesitated to start back up, but it did only to shutter and die again. I coasted to a side street, waited 10 minutes while on phone to local VW dealership. Attempted to start the TDI, it started, but when pressing accelerator it began to hesitate and shutter again, I stomped the accelerator to the floor and grey smoke burst from the pipes. Drove the TDI to the local TDI, they ran a courtesy scan for me which showed no codes. Left the dealership and car ran fine all the way back home.

This has happened once before several months ago, but not as bad. What could be causing this?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There are some situations (including my own personal MK3) where the 109 is perfectly fine, verified by taking it apart, testing and so forth. But there is significant corrosion and wear at the harness block. I ended up replacing 2 of the female pins. I have only come across this 3 times though, not very often. If a new part dont work, its probably your relay block pins. Wiggling the 109 to get it to start is usually the sign.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Here is the story:

Traveled 4.5 hours from my residence (Murray, Ky to Lexington, KY) average temp on trip 27f. 2012 Jetta TDI (Automatic DSG) 235,000 miles well maintained and on maintenance schedule. Parked the car for about 10 minutes after the drive. Got back in and TDI started right up, pressed on accelerator, TDI shuttered and died. Put the vehicle in neutral and it hesitated to start back up, but it did only to shutter and die again. I coasted to a side street, waited 10 minutes while on phone to local VW dealership. Attempted to start the TDI, it started, but when pressing accelerator it began to hesitate and shutter again, I stomped the accelerator to the floor and grey smoke burst from the pipes. Drove the TDI to the local TDI, they ran a courtesy scan for me which showed no codes. Left the dealership and car ran fine all the way back home.

This has happened once before several months ago, but not as bad. What could be causing this?
The thing to do when needing to refer to a thread is to start your own brand new one and post a link to this thread in that post.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The OP’s car (from 17 years ago) was a ‘97 Passat.

Keith63, if I read your post right, has a 2012 TDI. Two totally different animals, I would imagine. As the above post suggested, you might have better luck starting a new thread on your issue.