anyone try mixing Bio diesel and Jet A fuel

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
I know that sumpped jet a can have water and other things in it. I am going to filter it and then mix it with biodiesel. I am thinking a 50/50 mix should have enough lub in it. has anyone tried this or have opinions on this

bioTDInBENZ

Veteran Member
isnt jet fuel almost the same thing as kerosene? i know many greasers including elsbett say that you should mix kero with veggie oil to keep it from geling so i dont see it a big issue mixing the jet fuel but i may be wrong.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Biodiesel studies have shown a 2% mix is enough to enhance lubricity in poor quality fuel. Mixing a little extra - say 10% bio - should be well enough to make sure that Jet A runs perfectly fine and won't damage any diesel engine. Provided there is no water, like you mentioned.

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
well i figure if i get a 55 gallon drum of bio and mix it with appoarwmately 200 gallons of jet A then it should still be fine.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
That'd be 27.5% bio, so...

(Note: It's NOT B28, because B28 means that the other 72% is diesel #2 or a diesel #1/#2 blend of 50/50 or less.)

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
what i am trying to do is get the cost as cheap as possible. so if buy 55 gallons at $3 a gallon which is $165 then add it to 200 gallons of free jet A that will give me a total cost of less then a $.01 per gallon

Beeble

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 New Beetle
OK, you have my attention now, and you have raised some more questions.

A friend "throws away" about 200 gal. of JetA a month, and he offered it to me free, rather than paying the hazmat company to haul it away. I told him I didn't think I could use it, but it now appears that I could.

What are the warranty implications? I assume that any engine trouble would be my expense, since VW only approved D2 and B5.

Where do you get a drum of B100? What are the storage requirements?

How to you filter JetA to remove any water that might be present?

Are you sure this will work? The way I understand it, even in Alaska they only mix about 30% kerosene into the D2 in the winter. If kerosene was a great fuel for diesel engines, how come we're not told in the owner's manual to go fill up at the general aviation pump?

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
ok the reason Jet A kills the engine is because it is considered a dry fuel. there are no lubricates in there that the diesels need for injector pumps and the engine themselves. That is why you need to use 2cycle oil.

to filter it you need to buy some kind of filtration system. i am considering a filter with water seperator and eletric pump. filter it after it is mixed not before. althoug i could mix before and have the mix. There is a local place that sells B100 into 330 gallon tank if i want. i am not sure what i am doing yet.

my brother used to use Jet A and diesel (50/50) in a 2000 jetta. it ran great with no problems. the sump fuel although contains some water and bacteria the problem arises is when you let it sit. as long as you burn it right away you should be fine. Jet A does not have much water to begin with because of FAA standards for fuel. I get Av Gas also for free to run in my ATV and it runs nice.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
brianteel said:
what i am trying to do is get the cost as cheap as possible. so if buy 55 gallons at $3 a gallon which is $165 then add it to 200 gallons of free jet A that will give me a total cost of less then a $.01 per gallon
That seems more like 65 cents a gallon. but it is still better than 2.50:D
I think 25%+ of bio should compensate for the D2 lube issues. If you want to add 2 stroke oil we used to use SAE 20w in 2 strokes for ever gave them lots of lube at 3 oz per gal.

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
just get a nice tank with a large prefilter, and then a 2 micron filter. Those large prefilters should last the lifetime of your car. Plus with the 2 micron second filter you would never need to change your stock car fuel filter.

also just dump a jug of fuel additive to prevent any growth in the fuel.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
bhtooefr said:
That'd be 27.5% bio, so...

(Note: It's NOT B28, because B28 means that the other 72% is diesel #2 or a diesel #1/#2 blend of 50/50 or less.)
Odds are that the Jet A meets Diesel #1 specs. Then yes, it would be B28. There is no requirement that Biodiesel blends be mixed with diesel #2, just diesel.

Diesel #1 blending with B100 is a good way to correct cold flow issues.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
This is an interesting post. Where do you get "Jet A" for free??? I can't get anything for free.

Beeble

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 New Beetle
Friend works at an aircraft company. They draw off a little fuel to test the batch, but they can't put it back in the tank, even if it's pristine.

If you think you might want to try this, check with the general aviation airport and see if they sell jet fuel, and if so, what they do with the stuff they drain to test.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Beeble said:
Friend works at an aircraft company. They draw off a little fuel to test the batch, but they can't put it back in the tank, even if it's pristine.

If you think you might want to try this, check with the general aviation airport and see if they sell jet fuel, and if so, what they do with the stuff they drain to test.
I'd say my local airport's plane's run on 93. :D

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
actually av gas is 100 octane low lead.....he one my bro is at has jets and planes. there for they have jet A also

Last edited:

Flyguy81

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI (Silver/Black)
I was thinking about using JP-5, which is the military equivilant of Jet-A. We take fuel samples on all of our aircraft daily, so we yeild about 10 gallons a day of this stuff. Figure, why not save the Govt some money and hook myself up!

What would the mix ratio be and what should I mix it with??? I was reading 2 stroke oil???

Thanks for your help guys!

DrewD

Veteran Member
As long as you can filter the water out of the fuel, I say you should be ok with 20% biodiesel with your JET A without any problems.

The problem is water. In my previous life as a military pilot, we used to drain about 1/2-1 gallons of water from fuel tanks that held about 2,000 gallons.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
As I understand, they're not allowed to put it back in the tanks, so they have to either dispose of it (costs money) or give it away (for free).

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
Is this a military thing?

Looks to me like at the civilian airports the fuel comes out of an underground system and the fuel filling vehicles are just pumpers or they are filled with tank trucks at the smaller airports. What is there to dispose of or do they order a certain quanity of fuel in advance and if they ordered too much they have extra that has to be disposed of?

Just currious. (Not that I will go to O'hare with a dozen 5 gallon cans. Can you just imagine that scene!!):eek:

:eek: Sorry...I see my answer was addressed on an earlier post... and I thought that I had read all of them...or is this a case of "the child who WAS left behind!!:D

Last edited:

DrewD

Veteran Member
Come to think of it, we often dumped our fuel samples into our aircraft tugs that ran on diesel.

TylerSales

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 New Beetle
With the problem of water, doesnt the fuel filter have a water seperator built in? Because you could simply drain it after every fill up or two.

Beeble

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 New Beetle
b4black said:
B2 will fix it. B2 is plenty enough for a #1 distillate.
More on that, please. How much B2 to how much A1? On what do you base your analysis? Have you tried it? In which engine?

I have a friend who pays to have loads of this stuff disposed of as "hazardous waste". Knowing that I could go by the BioD pump and put in X gallons, then to his hangar and put in Z gallons would be a thrill.

Thanks.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Anyone want to check the following specs?

ASTM D 3699 <-- Standard Specification for Kerosene
ASTM D 975 <-- Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils
ASTM D 6751 <-- Standard Specification for Biodiesel Fuel (B100) Blend Stock for Distillate Fuels

brianteel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Blue
It is a FAA thing that they drain the fuel off. they do it take the water out or at least that is what they said. No one can just go take it. it is considered hazardous waste and a speical company has to come to it away. At least that is the way it is in jersey. From talking to a few people you can run a sundyne additive and it should be good. I am going to run 50 50 mix as soon as i can get a good source of bio. here in new jersey it is hard