What are these delete plates deleting?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The plates you circled were where the exhaust gas recirculation cooler had been connected, which, as is in the name, is a component that cools exhaust gas that is intermittently fed back into the intake charge air in order to reduce the amount of diesel combustion pollutants produced.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
The EGR valve with the block off plate is now connecting the intake to nothing, so no, I cannot conceive of any way it could cause a problem.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
EGR coolers are known to fail on these cars. Instead of spending the money to replace them, owners will sometimes delete the cooler and block off the exhaust manifold (where the hot gas comes from) and the EGR valve bottom (where it goes) with plates. This will throw a fault code and a check engine light unless the car is tuned to eliminate the EGR duty cycle.

As an aside, what's the source of your oil leak? Valve cover gasket?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
The EGR valve wasn't connected to either one of those spots so it's still working. That's just the cooler connections like you said.
Your second photo shows a block off plate bolted to the bottom of the EGR valve assembly. Although the EGR valve may operationally be moving up and down, etc., and show so on any VCDS reading, the block off plate means that it accomplishes no changes whatsoever.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I have no experience or knowledge about the issues you are experiencing, as I am quite both reluctant and un-qualified to re-engineer such a complicated engine system as my 2006 BRM Jetta by blocking off the EGR system and its resulting ECM consequences.

Good luck.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
OK that makes sense. Would it have anything to do with the P0101 MAF code I have and stalling and hard starting when warm?

No, BRM operates perfectly fine with EGR deleted. Unless you have it tuned out of the software it will throw a check engine light though. Just make sure it isn’t leaking past the block off plate especially on the intake side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
No, BRM operates perfectly fine with EGR deleted. Unless you have it tuned out of the software it will throw a check engine light though. Just make sure it isn’t leaking past the block off plate especially on the intake side.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no. Some BRMs can have trouble with turbo vane position with the EGR deleted and no ECM re-tune. That was my own experience and that of some others. Basically, the turbo would cyclically spool up and down with no load (like when crusing down a residential street). The software delete fixed that.

The delete without tune will also set your MAF code, as the MAF is now detecting the additional airflow that replaces the recirculated exhaust gas and it realizes that something doesn't compute.

The stalling and hard start, idk. Are there any other codes set?