Acceleration + Hesitation =Dying TDI

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Here is the story:

Traveled 4.5 hours from my residence (Murray, Ky to Lexington, KY) average temp on trip 27f. 2012 Jetta TDI (Automatic DSG) 235,000 miles well maintained and on maintenance schedule. Parked the car for about 10 minutes after the drive. Got back in and TDI started right up, pressed on accelerator, TDI shuttered and died. Put the vehicle in neutral and it hesitated to start back up, but it did only to shutter and die again. I coasted to a side street, waited 10 minutes while on phone to local VW dealership. Attempted to start the TDI, it started, but when pressing accelerator it began to hesitate and shutter again, I stomped the accelerator to the floor and grey smoke burst from the pipes. Drove the TDI to the local TDI, they ran a courtesy scan for me which showed no codes. Left the dealership and car ran fine all the way back home.

This has happened once before several months ago, but not as bad. What could be causing this?

Last edited:

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
It sound like the classic symptoms of intercooler icing. Ice/frost forms on the inside of the intercooler while driving, when you stopped the heat from the engine melted it then when you accelerate the engine sucks in the water causing it to hesitate/stall and run rough for a while.
Check out this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863