Strange noise 2006 Jetta

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Hello Folks,

We have a intermittent strange noise on my sons 2006 Jetta, it mainly happens when it is first started, it usually goes away after a few minutes.
Sometimes it does not even happen, very perplexing issue. I thought maybe motor mounts trans mount, but they appear to be okay. It appears to be coming from the vacuum pump fuel pump area, not saying this is it, but this general area. its a grinding type noise kinda like a dry throw out type bearing sound. His car is an automatic. I thought maybe it was his ac compressor, so we removed the belt, the noise was still there, not the ac. The car has about 300k runs great, no dead holes or low cylinders. Changed the the tb about 40k, with all new parts. water pump, idler puller etc. Perplexed as hell, any ideas????

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
https://youtu.be/MNoykX4FgmU

Sorry y'all took me a bit to figure out how to link a video. My son got an opinion for the noise on another tdi forum. They seem to think it's the dual mass flywheel, as such we've been trying to look into upgrading and converting it to a single mass flywheel. Anyone know what I need to look for to pull that off ? Anyone have any second opinions on the noise? Thanks!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
There is no SMF for the automatic. not an option.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone get a chance to listen to audio of the noise? I found this on parts geek, so this is only an option on the manual? Damn. I found tutorials online of how to remove the tranny but it seems like they're all for the manual version. Anyone know where I should go for guidance for the automatic transmission? Like procedures, additional parts I'd need or would be smart for replacing like AT filter/flywheel bolts/etc, and special tools I'd need to complete the job? Thanks all!

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
You think? I saw a video about the DMF noise and it doesn't sound too much like the noise I've got going on (especially because I got down under there and there wasn't noise coming from the tranny itself), I'm not convinced atleast, I don't know. Are the camshafts prone to fail in the MKV?