Ad Blue safe mode

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
I was just about out of adblue, so i put in one liter from the dealer, as i didnt know how to put the big jug i bought in at the time with that little adapater. I drove some more and it said i was running low again. Aparently when it runs low twice i hear it goes into some sort of safe mode? So i shut the car off and now the car wont start, i put more in the car nothing. Not sure what else to do. Anyone else have this issue,

I heard you might be able change adaptive settings or i may have too look at the dpf for some reason? I can post the current scan in, in the hopes someone can help me out here, not sure what to do. please pm me or email if u have any useful help, thanks in advance.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'd disconnect the battery for a bit first. Then try to start it. Hopefully that resets the computer to check the level.

There have also been some reports of bad def sensors that required them to be replaced. If you have vcds and can read the codes that should lead you to which option you might have to pursue.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Fill the Adblue tank all the way to the top. It's cheap enough that you should refill it every oil change and then won't have this problem. Get a Cruze bottle and a 2.5 gallon of DEF from your ffavorite auto parts place. Unscrew the top of the cruze bottle after emtptying into the tank, and refill from the bulk jug until the the tank is full. Holds 4.6 gallons in total.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
adblue

its complete full, no engine codes at all, found some things looking around vagcom.
going to disconnect the battery see what happens.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
reset

battery disconnect didnt work, i can post the values of the some of the items i found that i think have to do with it, maybe they changed and i can change them back with vagcom, the value in red would be nice to know what it is when there are no issues.?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 235 Fuel volume adaptation correction volume 0.00 mg/stroke
236 Fuel volume adaptation switch-off condition-Bit 0 00000010
271 Immobilizer snapshot A-Sia Error Snap A 00 00 00
272 Immobilizer snapshot B-Sia Error Snap B 00 00 00
368 Number of manual engine starts-Bit 24 00000000
369 Number of manual engine starts-Bit 16 00000000
370 Number of manual engine starts-Bit 8 00000000
371 Number of manual engine starts-Bit 0 00000101
446 Reducing agent tank fill level indicator; raw value 100.00 %
447 Reducing agent tank transfer pump request status-Bit 0 00000000
451 Remaining engine starts until reducing agent deficiency-Bit 0 00011001
452 Remaining vehicle distance until reducing agent deficiency 50.00 km

460 Sensor for reducing agent fill level; fill level 77.72 %
461 Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature; temperature 24.8 °C
462 Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature; voltage 1681.2 mV
498 Status of a reducing agent warning-Bit 0 00110101
507 Status of reduction agent level OK
508 Status of reversible switch-off condition ACC_2-Bit 0 00000000
509 Status of reversible switch-off condition ACC_3-Bit 0 00011000

510 Status of starter activation-Bit 0 00000000
[/FONT]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If it isn't showing you the warnings, then it probably isn't inhibiting the start. I would start looking at other problems like maybe a bad in-tank fuel pump.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
fyi to make it know how much is in it , fill it up with however much you have , full or 1 liter doesn't matter , turn the key to the position just before starting and let it sit for 30 seconds with the key in that position and then it will know the level .

VeeDubTDI

TDI
fyi to make it know how much is in it , fill it up with however much you have , full or 1 liter doesn't matter , turn the key to the position just before starting and let it sit for 30 seconds with the key in that position and then it will know the level .

You have to add enough to bring the level above the next sensor probe. There are three probes. Sometimes 1L isn't enough.

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
You have to add enough to bring the level above the next sensor probe. There are three probes. Sometimes 1L isn't enough.
Yes that and also, in the owners manual, its written that once you had the adblue to proper level, you have to turn the key at the "on" position (engine not running) and stay like this for a minimum of 30 seconds to "tell" the sensor to take the reading and resets the warning message.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
single94 - did the car display a no-start warning? This is critical info in determining whether or not your no-start is related to DEF or something else.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
start

had to reset the src, engine, basic settings, then the drop done so it would start, its all the way full, now says will shut off in 35 miles. i put the key forward for 1 minute. then with it off for 1 minute as well. Not sure if driving it would help or leaving it run.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
phlfly: I like the concept, but not sure of the quality of the pump. Also, you'll end up with tubes full of traces of AdBlue, and I find tubes of any length difficult to control.

The Kruse bottle is amazingly simple and idiot-proof, which sadly means that there are service personnel that will STILL spill fluid in your trunk!

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I can agree Kruse bottles is best to use but there is no way to fill them unless cut the bottom?
And what do you do you with left overs in the bottle, pour back to big container? Same effect; spills....and etc.
Then pump can put back to seal back as any bottle. I think it's just easy control the amount goes to the tank.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The top of the Kruse bottle is easily removed for refilling. Once the tank is full, remove the bottle, put the cap back on, no need to poor the remaining Adblue back into the big jug.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I can agree Kruse bottles is best to use but there is no way to fill them unless cut the bottom?
And what do you do you with left overs in the bottle, pour back to big container? Same effect; spills....and etc.
Then pump can put back to seal back as any bottle. I think it's just easy control the amount goes to the tank.
You can remove the top of the Kruse bottle, as shown in our AdBlue How To video on YouTube.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
AWESOME, THANKS. my tank hold 10 gallons what do the passats hold...
If your tank holds 10 gallons, then I'd recommend visiting a DEF pump at a truck stop. Bring a funnel just in case the nozzle doesn't fit, and fill carefully.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Seems like, based on what's been done by the OP, that there has to be something going on other than a simple DEF reset.