Audi Allroad BHW TDI conversion.

96cali

TDI
Passat
For those of us south of the border, that translates into roughly 38mpg @ 77mph and 42mpg @ 66mph. Incredible numbers WingMan, my BHW loves the cooler weather too.

So besides the AC leak, are there any other major issues to resolve?

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
maybe at level 2 the compressor is always on and you have a hole in a bag? could cause a constant drain on alternator which could affect fuel econ?
I don't think so, the car doesn't sag at all even when the ignition's turned off... I think it's that the car is a little higher and creates more drag!

As for any other problems/issues, nothing... I'm actually stunned as to how well the car is running. Engine has amazing power, no weird noises or vibrations, no engine light... Even noticed that the steering wheel seems to heat up when I turn on the heated seat! Bonus!

I've said it before, but this car is outstanding. I can't believe Audi hasn't made a TDI quattro A6 or A4 available in the American market yet.

duwerk

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI - 96 Passat TDI - 02 S4 Avant TDI Project in process
Great job my friend. I am curious about Mk4 flywheel and clutch. I am building a 2002 S4 wagon with the same engine and trans setup, and I was told a B6 A4 1.8T 6spd clutch and flywheel. Any idea about that? This came out really nice and I can only hope mine is even close this. Bravo!

duwerk

TDI
In earlier posts it was said to be an FYF trans which is like an A6 2.5 diesel in Europe. I just got the same one, which is why I am interested in the clutch setup.

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
In earlier posts it was said to be an FYF trans which is like an A6 2.5 diesel in Europe. I just got the same one, which is why I am interested in the clutch setup.

to be correct, the trans used in this swap is FTF not FYF. FTF is from a 1.9L tdi and has gearing .585 + 4.11. FYF is is from a 3.0L gas and has .730 + 4.11.

that being said, even better gearing can be had by using ENV, FTM, GBB, EKM, FTL .561 + 3.889.

duwerk

TDI
to be correct, the trans used in this swap is FTF not FYF. FTF is from a 1.9L tdi and has gearing .585 + 4.11. FYF is is from a 3.0L gas and has .730 + 4.11.

that being said, even better gearing can be had by using ENV, FTM, GBB, EKM, FTL .561 + 3.889.
Correct, typo, I have an FTF sitting here just like the OP is using.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You should rewire the immobilizer light to be the glow plug light...

Great swap! You made this all look too easy!

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
You should rewire the immobilizer light to be the glow plug light...

Great swap! You made this all look too easy!
Thanks, the shop that removed my immobiliser light has programmed my ESP light to be used as the glow plug light.. It also still works as an ESP light.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
Cool. Who did the programming?
Did you get your climate control to work correctly? If so, what did you have to do?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

duwerk

TDI
Thanks, the shop that removed my immobiliser light has programmed my ESP light to be used as the glow plug light.. It also still works as an ESP light.
I am working with Jeff at Rocket Chip for my programming, and he is going to use the EPC light for the glow plug light.

stp359

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 4motion tdi 6speed
wing man would you mind if I ask you where did you get your ECU power from. I'm kinda stuck there..

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Which hoses did you use to hook up the AC, and did you use the allroad or the passat condenser? My sister bought a swap and the person who swapped it used (as far as I can tell) the allroad condenser and left the passat hoses/compressor intact, but the one hose will not connect up to the condenser. Any insight would be appreciated!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
When I did mine I used all the Passat parts to the firewall

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Glad to see more photos of this rig! Digging the shop chair, going to have to make me one of those. Would be lying if I said I didn't use GTI seats in my parts/N64 room, no wonder I'm single :rolleyes:

duwerk

TDI
AC Problem Solved??

Just wondering if you ever got the A/C working. My 02 S4 Avant with BHW is sorta the same thing. Something is missing in communications and fans and a/c will not function on their own. I can jump wires and force it to work but cant get the system to do it on its own. Among other issues, this is one I would like to try to fix. Let us know. Thank you

duwerk

TDI
Thanks for the tip about pin 28, maybe my cluster is not sending signal on one of the 8 wires that runs to and from the HVAC unit. But those wires are not really disclosed as to what they do. I do have tachometer working fine. I have tons of Can issues with different modules not wishing to speak with each other, but HVAC only reports it doesn't see coolant temp which is weird too as temp guage works fine on cluster and the ECU sees temp fine as well. All those wires that go from cluster to HVAC are pre existing, so I am not sure why A/C won't work or I have no coolant temp when I log in with VCDS. I should also be sure the HVAC sees RPM signal like you suggested. I have a lot of time into this over different periods. Then I walk away for a while and do other things and forget about it. I was really hoping to figure it out this time. :confused:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
I've figured out that the ECU needs to be re-coded to support climatronic for A/C to work on my B5 A4 with BHW. With the OEM BHW tune, this is possible by just going to the ECU coding module in VCDS. However, if you're running a Malone tune, he uses a BEW file as the base for BHW manual transmission setups, and the BEW was never available with climatronic so you lose the ability to recode for that feature. When I flashed the OEM BHW file to my ECU and recoded for climatronic, A/C worked perfectly and the climatronic unit had complete control over it. But the engine runs like crap because it's a far cry from stock. As soon as the appropriate Malone tune is flashed, I lose all A/C functionality.

Last I heard, Malone is working on a fix for this issue, but it hasn't been done yet. In the meantime, I've hooked up a fused relay and switch that sends 12v directly to the compressor clutch so I can turn on A/C manually. This has served well enough, although I really hope it's just a temporary kludge.

Giantmcm

Hey Wingman, any update on getting the A/C up and working?

Also, where did you get your flywheel, clutch, pressure plate from?