Golf TDI gear ratio vs. JSW gear ratio (USA Manual ONLY)

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Could someone conduct this experiment for me in their JSW manual or Jetta manual TDI:

1. Drive at 65 mph in 6th gear
2. Set the cruise control at 65 mph
3. Note the rpm in your car
4. Post the results

My Golf TDI revs at ~1800 rpm at 65. I think yours will be higer since the manual JSW/Jetta seem to have a shorter gear ratio than the Golf.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
if it helps, I recorded 77 mph at 2,105 rpm (I have a photo on my phone of the scangauge2 numbers) on my JSW.

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
btw, when I set cruise control to a number, the sg2 tells me I'm actually travelling 1 mph faster than indicated.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
mysql said:
looks like JSW is the same as Golf.
Looks like it. The rpm needle on my car is pointing the exact same way as those on your car when driving at 65 in top gear.

That leads me wonder why the gear ratio numbers posted on VW's US website are shorter for the JSW than those posted on VW's Canadian website.

On the VW Canada the manual gear ratio for the Golf/Jetta/JSW are the same. On the VW US website the Jetta/JSW manual gear ratios are shorter. There is no listing for the Golf gear ratios.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
nj1266 said:
That leads me wonder why the gear ratio numbers posted on VW's US website are shorter for the JSW than those posted on VW's Canadian website.
Metric...

(Either that, or it has something to do with the exchange rate...)

Yuri

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
It's possible the sedan is the odd man out. The JSW has far more in common with the Golf than the Sedan with the golf.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Question

mysql said:
It's possible the sedan is the odd man out.
The JSW has far more in common with the Golf than the Sedan with the golf.
:)

Are you saying that you think there is a difference in the gearings between
the Golf, the Jetta sedan, and the JSWs with the manual transmissions? :confused:

I say 'nyet.' :p

:D

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
I'm saying that the Golf and the JSW have the MK6 interior while the sedan has MK5. So it might be that the Sedan is the odd man out for the ratios too.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
This has been discussed before, I believe. It seems that at some point VW changed the gearing in the manual transmissions. My '09 sedan in 6th at 65 mph is turning about 2050 RPM, or about 200 RPM higher than the '10 Golf 6MT. Not sure about the '10 JSW and sedan.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's be discused over and over, they switched up the final gearing of the 2010s across the board compared to the 2009s. At 73 MPH my sedan is spinning at 2,000 dead balls on. This goes inline with the 2010 JSW and golf that people are posting about 1800 at 65.

My guess this gearing is one of the reasons why they changed the name of the power plant from the CEBA and the CJAA.

Also the Sedan got most of the Mk6 interior upgrades, with mostly the gauge tunnel and vents still being the slightly different mk5 style.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
In Theory

Pelican18TQA4 said:
This has been discussed before, I believe. It seems that at some point VW changed the gearing in the manual transmissions. My '09 sedan in 6th at 65 mph is turning about 2050 RPM, or
about 200 RPM higher than the '10 Golf 6MT. Not sure about the '10 JSW and sedan.
:)

VW probably did it when they changed production from the '09s to the '10s.
Had to be in July 2009 or earlier.

If you have any MT '09, it's turning 1867 rpms per mile, or 2022 at 65 mph.
If you have any MT '10, it's turning 1659 rpms per mile, or 1798 at 65 mph.

With any DSG Jetta, it is turning 1929 rpms per mile, or 2090 at 65 mph.
All of the above were obtained using the option 225/45-17s that spin 835 revs/mile.
With standard 205/55-16s, that figure is slightly higher at 837/revs/mile.
It won't make that much difference, so disregard.

We won't talk about the DSG Golfs because no one seems to know
for sure
what their overall ratios are. Anyone know for sure? :confused:

Only to be able to have the gearing of a '10 MT in my DSG box! :cool:

:D

Last edited: