Power loss at 2500-3000 RPM's

bigpoppax2

TDI
2001 Beetle, Arrest me red
I have a 2001 NB TDI 5 speed and a bit of background:

New timing belt, rollers, water pump, new fuel filter, and intake cleaned at 80,000. It now has 90,000 on it.

I bought it used with 74,000 miles. No other problems at all, other than getting 37-40 MPG. Stock air filter.

Now my problem, I'm getting a loss in power during acceleration at the same RPM in about every gear except 1st. It seems odd because it will pull hard up to 2500 rpms then act like it's not getting fuel, power decreases then right about 3000 rpms, the power is back.

It's like a dead band??

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If you read the stuff in the main page you'd have found the issue. Or a search.

You need a new mass air flow sensor.

bigpoppax2

TDI
Well I've had a Vagcom on mine and there are no MAS codes thrown. Is that typical of needing a new MAS?

I'll assume you are talking about the TDI 101 main page?

Joe

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's the MAF.

You can log into you're IQ adjustment screen and see what the output of the MAF is. If it's not 250 at least it's the MAF. I've seen then read 5-15 without throwing a code. Total dogs though.

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
I second the MAF. Mine did exactly the same thing at 80K, no codes. I don't have easy access to a VAG-COM, so I bought a new MAF from one of our vendors for $80, installed it - 10 minute job - problem solved :D .

John C

CPL

TDI
2001 Blk Jetta
I too had the same symptons without throwing a code. Replaced the MAF problem solved. Never got rid of the faulty one so when the recall came out I installed the faulty one and drove around till the CEL came on and went to the dealer. They changed the sensor under the recall and cleared the CEL. And thats how I was able to obtain a spare. That was 3 years ago. I just recently had same symtems with a code. Checed Vag-Com sure enough Mas Airflow sensor. Replaced it cleared the code and now I'm good to go:D

bigpoppax2

TDI
Are the new MAF's updated to be somewhat beefier. I read that entire thread on what was causing the element to overheat. It'd be nice to know it wasn't going to happen again.

Thanks,
Joe

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Also intake plugging will cause what you describe. There is a transition in air flow as the motor gets into the higher rpms that is exagerated by intake plugging just after the EGR.

Check the MAF but also make sure your intake is clean and obstruction free.

DB

bigpoppax2

TDI
I personally cleaned the intake with parts cleaner and screwdrivers and wire brushes....Only 10,000 miles ago. I'm sure it's already started to clog back up but not enough to cause the problem I'm seeing.

Any links to somewhere to buy the newer MAF's? Impex has them for 79, is there anyplace else I should look? The one from Impex is a Pierburg, that seems to be a high quality item.

Joe

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Get the Bosch or Factory MAF. The Pierburg is good, but not the correct MAF maps for our car. It was used as a workaround solution when the MAFs cost $300+.

bigpoppax2

TDI
Ok, get the Bosch, thanks.

Where is the best place to buy from?

I sure hope the MPG go up. It's nice to get 38, but 48 would be even better.

Joe