www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 15th, 2017, 12:23   #6601
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
i placed an order from napa online, the shipping was slow; on getting package, i was disappointed. i had ordered a water pump, seems this pos is plastic, nfg. they superseded part, perhaps recently, prev pump was metal. no more. pos. no use to me. i had also ordered a gasket, this gasket in the pic appeared to be the metal type, on getting it turns out to be paper. went down to my local napa store, parts guy takes a look, its a metal pic, part# is the same. i ve had some, usually minor problems with napa, and its parts. i ve typically had more problems with other suppliers, and napa prices have been reasonable. not only are their quality of parts declining, they are now giving inaccurate info, and less info on parts. not very happy. then again its the evolution, or declining-evolution most if not all business take since, i-dont-know-when; been younger. worried at how much several cents can make them over how many thousands of (individual) sold items, compounded,added over total inventory and such.

the other week i bought rear wheel bearings, thought i was getting quality parts, that i thought i had ordered. the inners are still fag, slovacia made, good enough quality, for me. the outers about same price, should be same quality ended up being made in japan. not really happy in this change of mfg, quality.
I have very good luck with Rock Auto, apparently you do not. I'm not particularly happy with Napa but that's more due to their website sucking badly and their slow to get parts shipped in.

As for the metal WP gasket, it is a different part number, but some retailers use incorrect images with their parts, you have to know what you're looking for and then be wary of pictures.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 20:56   #6602
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

It's because of your lack of capitalization.

Had you used capital letters, you would not have received substandard parts.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!

Last edited by Windex; October 15th, 2017 at 20:58.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:22   #6603
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 mpg last time I checked it. Audi no numbers yet.

Not a big NAPA fan here! I use the paper gasket that comes with the water pump. Put a little white RTV on both sides, good to go. I use ID Parts, metal impeller, never a problem. Windex you are a funny guy. I fell out of my chair laughing when I saw your keyboard reply.
Col Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote