www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old July 24th, 2017, 04:35   #31
atc98002
Veteran Member

Yeah, adaptive cruise in Seattle traffic would be wonderful. My dealer has Subaru as well as VW, and he loaned me a loaded Legacy for a couple of days. That's what sold me on adaptive cruise. Especially the stop and go version, which Subaru and VW have. I haven't driven a VW yet with adaptive cruise. Drove the new Tiguan last Saturday, but it was an SE model and didn't have it. I plan on getting my hands on an SEL when I get home from my trip (currently in DC) and spend some quality time with it.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 00:21   #32
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

I don't know, but I suspect that if you have a base model with collision avoidance then it MIGHT be possible to give it adaptive cruise through software. The radar is in place, right?

That's a question for a higher pay grade than mine though.

-mickey
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 17:41   #33
AronS

Fuel Economy: 48-49 (summer)

So, my home state of Minnesota is apparently mandating a 20% biodiesel mixture starting May of 2018. It makes me think about taking the buyback offer, because I am concerned about how this will effect my 2014 Jetta. I love my car, but only if it remains reliable. Should I be worried?
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 17:50   #34
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronS View Post
So, my home state of Minnesota is apparently mandating a 20% biodiesel mixture starting May of 2018.

It makes me think about taking the buyback offer, because I am concerned about how this will effect my 2014 Jetta.

I love my car, but only if it remains reliable. Should I be worried?
I personally hate BIO

Okies have to use BIO 5

But only a matter of time ~~ me thinks.

If I do go BB, and buy my 2018 Golf S auto, at least we (Okies) can still but 100 % PETRO
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:36   #35
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

States that mandate 20% have an exemption in place. VW recommends changing the oil more frequently if you notice it rising (fuel dilution). The only issue(s) I have read about occured when a member in Austin tested his brand new (IIRC) tdi with 100%. There was fuel dilution at that level and his experiment was stopped. It is posted here somewhere.
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:28   #36
AronS

Fuel Economy: 48-49 (summer)

Thanks for the info...I'll check in with the dealer when I schedule my emissions fix/next oil change.
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 05:47   #37
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronS View Post
So, my home state of Minnesota is apparently mandating a 20% biodiesel mixture starting May of 2018. It makes me think about taking the buyback offer, because I am concerned about how this will effect my 2014 Jetta. I love my car, but only if it remains reliable. Should I be worried?
Should you be worried? The quick answer, no. For MN, the 20% is only during the summer months. Fall, winter, and spring the ratio is 5%.

IL mandates a ratio of biodiesel, but it can be anywhere between 2% and 20% depending on the time of year. IL diesel pumps have a generic sticker saying 'This product contains biodiesel between 2% and 20%.' IF the station owner even bothered to upgrade them from the old ones that mentioned B11.

Trying to figure out the biodiesel ratio is about as easy as finding out the cetane number. You would have to catch the delivery guy and ask to see the numbers on his manifest, and what is required on the manifest varies state by state.

Drive more and worry less.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 12:27   #38
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in Savannah...

The CRD will handle 20% without a problem.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 21:25   #39
jerryfreak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
States that mandate 20% have an exemption in place. VW recommends changing the oil more frequently if you notice it rising (fuel dilution). The only issue(s) I have read about occured when a member in Austin tested his brand new (IIRC) tdi with 100%. There was fuel dilution at that level and his experiment was stopped. It is posted here somewhere.
that was a 2012 i beleive

im running my 2015 EA288 on B100 now and will report
jerryfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 22:11   #40
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Thanks! Where is the B100 from?
Old August 28th, 2017, 04:39   #41
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Your asking for trouble. Anything more than b20 in any TDI produced after 2009 is NOT recommended. A member bought a brand spanking new 2009 and ran b100 for a year in it. It wasn't pretty.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote