www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 12th, 2017, 19:15   #1
Runnerguy45
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
Default My 2011 with 289,500, 2015 with 58,218

I love both cars. The 2011 was paid for on day one and I don't want another payment. So from that point on of view I don't want to do anything. But at 289,500 I am wondering if I should make the deal with VW ?

This forum was my major source of information when I purchased the 2011 from Chris B. who is no longer with us. The 2015 is a wonderful car. Have never been a "car guy" but I love these cars. The GTI is appealing and I love their look. Despite the diesel gate stuff, I think the world of diesel engines now because my 2011 still runs great. Will a gas powered GTI give me 200,000 plus if I take to my guru ? I'd appreciate any thoughts from others as maybe your thinking is different then mine ? Until last week I thought I'd keep the 2011 forever but I'm not sure now. Any insight would be appreciated.
Runnerguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 13:57   #2
NIN846

Hell no, keep it til 500,000!
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:17   #3
ksing44
Veteran Member

I know I'd enjoy a new GTI, but I'm planning to keep my 2010 Golf for as long as can. I "only" have 145K miles and I still love driving my little car. It doesn't feel old in any way. I'm planning to get new brakes and rotors all around at my next service and I had the HPFP replaced with a CP3. I'd like to try some Bilstein HD shocks, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money as long as my original shocks are fine.

I'm hoping for a fix, some cash, and then maybe trying the tune and delete thing after the extended warranty is over. That could get me down the road for many years. Then I could get an even newer GTI! A new GTI now wouldn't be very new in a few years down the road, so the longer we wait the better it will be as long as our current cars don't get too expensive to maintain or become unreliable. Certainly at some point the maintenance costs and/or reliability start to become an issue, even though new cars also come with significant cost.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

PS: I met Chris and was hoping I'd buy me next VW from him. I'm sorry that won't happen.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow

Last edited by ksing44; April 15th, 2017 at 03:21.
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:33   #4
calimustang
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

Nah! Keep the TDI to 500k miles or more. Thats my plan as My 2011 JSW is now at 248k miles and drives better than a brand new rental car. They are one of the best german engineered car besides ill-fated CP4 pump and DPF, old Mercedes benz 300SD, 240D and 300D are the best germany cars. Just slap the CP3 in and Bilstein HD shocks and you are golden. I am enjoying my car a lot more with those new upgrades. Wish i did this a long time ago. She is paid off. My work company pay me reimbursements for mileage so I am profit a lot from her cheap gas bill to fill up. Hence why I spent a lot on her upgrades. My original brakes and shocks lasted to 233k miles and shocks smelled so bad.... reek of leaking air and oil... so dont wait. Check if it smells then replace.... hope this helps your decision.
2011 JSW TDI, 259,600 miles as of 9/6/2017 - had original HPFP to 240k. White with cornsilk beige interior, still on original turbo, DSG, 16" Steelies Wheels, solid metal roof. Mods: CP3, 5% tints all around. P3 gauge, Stage 2 Malone tune and DPF/EGR delete
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:56   #5
Runnerguy45
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
I know I'd enjoy a new GTI, but I'm planning to keep my 2010 Golf for as long as can. I "only" have 145K miles and I still love driving my little car. It doesn't feel old in any way. I'm planning to get new brakes and rotors all around at my next service and I had the HPFP replaced with a CP3. I'd like to try some Bilstein HD shocks, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money as long as my original shocks are fine.

I'm hoping for a fix, some cash, and then maybe trying the tune and delete thing after the extended warranty is over. That could get me down the road for many years. Then I could get an even newer GTI! A new GTI now wouldn't be very new in a few years down the road, so the longer we wait the better it will be as long as our current cars don't get too expensive to maintain or become unreliable. Certainly at some point the maintenance costs and/or reliability start to become an issue, even though new cars also come with significant cost.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

PS: I met Chris and was hoping I'd buy me next VW from him. I'm sorry that won't happen.
How long can we wait and still get the cash ?
Runnerguy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:05   #6
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnerguy45 View Post
How long can we wait and still get the cash ?
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I know a fix has to be announced before we can get a fix and get the cash. So far there is no fix. A little more information about timing for learning more is included below in a quote from another thread on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
"it happens when it happens"

The "expected" schedule involved VW completing their submission 27 January 2017 and EPA and CARB responding within 45 days. Both 45 calendar days and 45 business days have now passed, so someone is officially late based on the "expected" schedule. But that was only an "expected" schedule. The drop-dead date is May 2018. Given that there is a court-ordered publication ban on the whole process, we will find out NOTHING until both parties agree that something should be publicised. That could be tomorrow, or it could be a year from now.

So ... expect to know nothing more than what we already know, until we either find out that the cars are getting fixed, or they're all getting flattened.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:13   #7
calimustang
Veteran Member

Drop dead date? What does that mean?
2011 JSW TDI, 259,600 miles as of 9/6/2017 - had original HPFP to 240k. White with cornsilk beige interior, still on original turbo, DSG, 16" Steelies Wheels, solid metal roof. Mods: CP3, 5% tints all around. P3 gauge, Stage 2 Malone tune and DPF/EGR delete
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:48   #8
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimustang View Post
Drop dead date? What does that mean?
This kind of question should really go in the dieselgate forum, but I'll take a shot with some quotes from the linked article.

Car and Driver Blog, "everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-vw-diesel-emissions-scandal"

From the linked article
"All owners and lessees of 2.0-liter TDI models will have up to May 2018 to decide their options."

From a comment about article
"I contacted VW on 3-3-2017 to find out about fixes for 2.0. I was informed that no fixes are available and they have up until September 2018. If no fix is possible or they just don't want to make a fix, they will buy back all vehicles."

Flickr slideshow
Old April 20th, 2017, 21:44   #9
msantram
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
This kind of question should really go in the dieselgate forum, but I'll take a shot with some quotes from the linked article.
Car and Driver Blog, "everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-vw-diesel-emissions-scandal"
From the linked article
"All owners and lessees of 2.0-liter TDI models will have up to May 2018 to decide their options."
From a comment about article
"I contacted VW on 3-3-2017 to find out about fixes for 2.0. I was informed that no fixes are available and they have up until September 2018. If no fix is possible or they just don't want to make a fix, they will buy back all vehicles."
The last line is the most intriguing. Suppose VW ups their buyback offer to hold outs? Would you all trade in your TDI then? I too love my car and all the mods I made, and intend to keep my TDI as long as possible.
Old April 20th, 2017, 22:47   #10
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantram View Post
The last line is the most intriguing. Suppose VW ups their buyback offer to hold outs?
Keep dreaming. It looks like they will have no problem meeting the 85% boughtback/fixed threshold anyhow.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:43   #11
msantram
Veteran Member

yeah don't worry. Not holding my breath!
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:07   #12
calimustang
Veteran Member

Nah I diubt it. A ton of TDI has disappeared off the roads in FL lately. Saw a ton of semis hauling old TDI's away. Saddening view to see.