www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old December 6th, 2018, 12:44   #1
Saluki

TDI(s): shopping
Default New guy looking for VW recomendations

Looking to hear what is now being said about the diesels. I read the thread right below this from 2015 but a few years has passed since then. Looking at replacing my commuter car. I drive 90 miles a day on I-95 to and from work. Would like something that is very dependable and great on mileage.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 13:59   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Don't fall for this post above. They are new and posting commercial ads without permission or registering first as required.
Old December 6th, 2018, 14:31   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My vote would be for a low mileage 2015. I happen to like that engine better, although there's nothing wrong with the 2010-2014 cars.

VW of Savannah has a bunch: https://www.savannahvw.com/all-inven...=odometer+asc&

Good news about buying from a dealer is you can get a CPO car with a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty in addition to the emissions warranty, which is pretty comprehensive.
Old December 6th, 2018, 20:07   #4
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

And CPO is nice peace of mind considering that the car likely sat for many months or even years. Usually it means new rubber, brakes, battery. Of course I've had my CPO wagon for 6 months and it hasn't needed a thing, but the peace of mind is nice.

90 miles a day sounds like a perfect commute for a TDI.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 20:46   #5
tdiv

CPO is the way to go. When buying a car you're paying for paperwork, carfax, maintenance history etc.. CPO have very strict guidelines for a dealer to follow, the risk is a lot lower even though the price might be on the higher side.

Good luck with your search!
tdiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 05:14   #6
Saluki

Interesting and thanks for the info guys.

How do the late model diesels deal with the DPF and DEF systems overall? I have a 2017 F250 w/ a 6.7 Powerstroke, and it took them two previous engine designs to "get it right" and a lot of guys still delete theirs (I have not deleted mine yet).
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:20   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Emissions snafu notwithstanding, VW did a lot better than the Navistar/Ford $hitshow. The '10 ('09, really) to '14 engines had some issues with the high pressure fuel pump and intercooler icing (probably not a problem where you live) but the incidence of these problems is debatable. The '15s seem to be working great. The DPF/DEF systems seem to work well, although not a lot of these cars have accumulated any significant mileage. Besides, all the emissions stuff is covered under the court-ordered warranty.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:20   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Nothing to deal with. It works. If anything is wrong, the long long warranty takes care of it. If you do a delete you will give up the warranty. Might as well buy an older cheaper car if you want the delete, if you can still find one. Many of these were bought back and crushed.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:47   #9
Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Nothing to deal with. It works. If anything is wrong, the long long warranty takes care of it. If you do a delete you will give up the warranty. Might as well buy an older cheaper car if you want the delete, if you can still find one. Many of these were bought back and crushed.

What kind of warranty did the put in place? I am unfamiliar with this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Emissions snafu notwithstanding, VW did a lot better than the Navistar/Ford $hitshow. The '10 ('09, really) to '14 engines had some issues with the high pressure fuel pump and intercooler icing (probably not a problem where you live) but the incidence of these problems is debatable. The '15s seem to be working great. The DPF/DEF systems seem to work well, although not a lot of these cars have accumulated any significant mileage. Besides, all the emissions stuff is covered under the court-ordered warranty.

I spotted a couple of 2013-2014's that look interesting. How severe is this issue with the fuel pump and intercooler? Please elaborate!
Old December 7th, 2018, 08:03   #10
KyleMillione
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 02 (auto) 39, 03 (man) 48

Quote:
Don't fall for this post above. They are new and posting commercial ads without permission or registering first as required.
I personally think itís hilarious that they misspelled Volkswagen in their name.
KyleMillione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 08:18   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
What kind of warranty did the put in place? I am unfamiliar with this..
Are you unaware of the dieselgate scandal that happened? VW was found to have violated emissions regulations and was punished by fines and having to buyback and/or repair cars emissions systems and a 162k mile warranty to be put in place (short version). Find and read the settlement document so you are up to speed on this. It has been posted here many times. I bought a 2015 Beetle tdi new in 2017 that was an unsold car from 2015 and was "fixed" and sold. It has full new car warranty as well as the 162,000 mile 12 year emissions warranty imposed by the settlement. No other new car I am aware of has ever had anything like this. There are bought back 2015's out there that have been fixed and low miles available. I would look for one of those if possible.
Old December 7th, 2018, 10:21   #12
Saluki

Quote:
Are you unaware of the dieselgate scandal that happened? VW was found to have violated emissions regulations and was punished by fines and having to buyback and/or repair cars emissions systems and a 162k mile warranty to be put in place (short version). Find and read the settlement document so you are up to speed on this. It has been posted here many times. I bought a 2015 Beetle tdi new in 2017 that was an unsold car from 2015 and was "fixed" and sold. It has full new car warranty as well as the 162,000 mile 12 year emissions warranty imposed by the settlement. No other new car I am aware of has ever had anything like this. There are bought back 2015's out there that have been fixed and low miles available. I would look for one of those if possible.

I am aware of the dieselgate but I was not aware of the particulars of the settlement. That sounds like a hell of a warranty with them. I am going to have to look it up. Thank you for that info.
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:22   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Few if any of the new old stock cars left. There are bought back cars that have been fixed and being resold now. My daughter bought a 2015 Passat SEL Premium with 20k miles or so for around $17k. That is about 1/2 price of what they were new back then. CPO warranty as well as the emissions warranty.
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:27   #14
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Just saw a blue 2015 Passat SE tdi with 20k miles for about $15k.
Old December 7th, 2018, 12:29   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Customer just stopped in and he's picking up a '13 Golf with 14K on it. Tech package, too. I think he said he's paying around $15K. That seems like a pretty good deal.