www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 28th, 2018, 20:59   #1
DieselMann99
Veteran Member
Default Buying a Non-Fixed Gen 1 TDI

A non-VW dealer near me just got in a few Gen 1 TDI's. Asking price is very cheap. Almost too cheap, like $9,000. Did VWOA put a lot of these out to auction lately? It doesn't appear that they've gotten the fix.

So how does that work? Do I have the option of getting it fixed or not? I don't believe there would be any compensation to me if I get it fixed, correct? I would probably not get it fixed if I had the choice. Of course, if I get it fixed, I get that good emissions warranty.

Anything else I should be thinking about if I decided to pursue one of these?
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2018, 21:21   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There is no money left on the table. You can still get the fix, just no money for doing it. Yes the warranty is still intact.
Old November 29th, 2018, 10:41   #3
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
There is no money left on the table. You can still get the fix, just no money for doing it. Yes the warranty is still intact.

So, is there any reason to get the fix? I suppose it would get me the warranty on all the emissions parts, but OTOH, I'd have diminished performance and mpg. No reliable data on the latter.

Is there a deadline to get the fix done on a purchased non-fixed Gen 1 car, or will VWOA do it whenever I want, if I want?
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:10   #4
flargabarg
Veteran Member

The trade off is simple at this point. In exchange for what is generally reported as a hit in short trip mileage and accelerator response, you get a long warranty on most of the mechanical parts. It seems like a pretty good trade-off to me, but only you can know for yourself.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 11:29   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The loss of mpg and/or performance may or may not be an issue. Some have reported worse, some better and most, no change. The warranty covers quite a bit to include all emissions equipment, engine, turbo, hpfp and more. If you are interested in that do it. You may be forced to do it anyway if you have an issue as I don't think they will be allowed or want to stock old parts for emissions. This was in the settlement docs. I think you can get it upgraded whenever you want, but don't see the reason behind waiting.
Old December 1st, 2018, 15:07   #6
dhuddleson
Veteran Member

I thought I read somewhere that Dec 31 this year was a deadline... could be wrong.
2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T wagon (sold)
dhuddleson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2018, 15:27   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The deadline only applies for compensation. You can get the fix at anytime.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 19:50   #8
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Check CarFax. If last record says Titled to Manufacturer in Michigan, then this dealer will not get titles from VW until they do the fix.

They probably got them from a VW dealer that didn't know this.

Wait time on title is 30-60 days from VW so they can exchange hands without titles as its common in the wholesale market.
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:53   #9
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIforDays View Post
Check CarFax. If last record says Titled to Manufacturer in Michigan, then this dealer will not get titles from VW until they do the fix.

They probably got them from a VW dealer that didn't know this.

Wait time on title is 30-60 days from VW so they can exchange hands without titles as its common in the wholesale market.

I believe they got them from one of the VWOA auctions. So, if a non-VW dealer buys a TDI from a VWOA auction, they're obligated to do the fix? That wasn't my understanding.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:53   #10
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
The deadline only applies for compensation. You can get the fix at anytime.

That's what I thought. Thank you.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:56   #11
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
The loss of mpg and/or performance may or may not be an issue. Some have reported worse, some better and most, no change. The warranty covers quite a bit to include all emissions equipment, engine, turbo, hpfp and more. If you are interested in that do it. You may be forced to do it anyway if you have an issue as I don't think they will be allowed or want to stock old parts for emissions. This was in the settlement docs. I think you can get it upgraded whenever you want, but don't see the reason behind waiting.

I think you're probably right, makes sense to get the fix done and get all the warranty protection. It's not like people are reporting horrible performance/mpg results after the fix. As you said, in general, not a significant change from original.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 13:35   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Just pop the hood and look for the emissions stickers. There seem to be more and more coming out to auction but I thought that VW had to fix them before they could go back for resale. That maybe only if a VW dealer is selling them.
Old December 6th, 2018, 15:28   #13
chief poncho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

I'm almost positive VW had to have any that were bought back fixed prior to reselling them. How do you know they don't have fixes?
chief poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 17:17   #14
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief poncho View Post
I'm almost positive VW had to have any that were bought back fixed prior to reselling them. How do you know they don't have fixes?
On some like my Beetle there was a part one and part two. They were allowed to sell after doing part one (new old stock). Maybe the same for the buy backs.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:45   #15
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Although the OP didn't say exactly which model he was looking he did say gen 1. There was only one fix phase for the gen 1.