www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old December 6th, 2018, 06:12   #1
Rjamesohio

Default New TDI enthusiasm? Opinions on where we are 2 plus years post-scandal?

After YEARS of wanting a TDI and never quite pushing the button - I decided in November of 2018 that it's now or maybe never. So I brought home my 2015 Golf TDI SEL. CPO.

Incentives? Sweet warranty that is standard for all TDI's containing the approved fix, then VW added to that with the two year bumper to bumper for CPO cars.

All the above - and what seems like a fairly steady supply of "BUY BACK" cars that VW has thankfully chosen to sell to dealers rather than destroying, and is paying for the agreed-upon fixes - would seem there should be a fair number of new TDI enthusiasts out there.

Of course - I may be delusional due to wearing my VW blue-tinted glasses but I do wonder if the reasonable availability of late model TDI's has actually injected new life into the TDI community.

I realize that I could also be wrong - enthusiasm in the ranks may be dwindling due to mileage improvement with the gassers, "disgust" with VW for the scandal, but what is the temperature here amongst the TDI faithful?

For my part - I am really enjoying my 'new to me' car, and expect to continue to enjoy it for a LOOONNNNGGGG time. So I'm interested in re-kindled TDI events, more info, et al.

There have to be a lot of new folks coming into TDIs now for similar reasons. I am curious as to what everyone thinks for the future of our little 'cult'?

Would love to hear both other TDI noobs and long-time TDI geeks on the state of the union.
Rjamesohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:27   #2
sootchucker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Golf
Fuel Economy: Good

sorry to derail your thread, but how much did you pay, and what options/mileage does your car have?
Old December 6th, 2018, 08:58   #3
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

My enthusiasm is burning as hot as ever. I bought a Golf for my son this year, then when it wrecked, I bought another one. Also have an Audi 3.0 TDI. For me the extended warranty on engine and emissions systems is the cornerstone. My plan is to drive diesels until the extended warranty expires (end of 2024 for the 3.0, 2027 for the 2.0), then figure out what to do next.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 10:55   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

I kinda want to look up the value of an A6 TDI with quarto now
[edit]
Hahahaha!
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1892/overview/

Most were in mid 20s-35 too much for my blood (all though this is the only way to get a heated steering wheel for the wife).

Last edited by 740GLE; December 6th, 2018 at 10:59.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:06   #5
dasjefe

My thinking is similar to Mythdoc. Basically keep the car on the road as long as I can. The question for me is: will there be a skilled, dedicated group that will crank out DIYs for larger maintenance projects needed as the car(s) age.
dasjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 11:29   #6
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

My thinking similar to Mythdoc, except that if the emissions become a problem then I'll probably delete them and motor on.

I'd really like an A6 TDI, but I agree 740GLE. Simply too rich for my blood. Maybe I'll grab one on the cheap in a few years. People will run from them when they are 6 or7 years old with 150k miles and they will probably cost single digits.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 14:01   #7
nomadic

I've had my '15 TDI S DSG for about 7 months now. I have nothing negative to say about it except I kinda wish I had the SEL seats. The S seats are OK but not that great. I have a wonder works back support (think that's the name....got off Amazon) and it's a game changer so now the seat is fine.

Car handles great, gas mpg great, and it never feels underpowered....provided a good kick in the butt with the torque. I hope to keep it a long time as well. I just really don't "need" a diesel as I don't drive much and work from home. That tempts me to trade it for a faster car (ie. M240i) b/c I'm an idiot.
Old December 6th, 2018, 17:32   #8
sortlane1

I am in the same camp as the OP. After a few years of looking for a TDI I realized that time may be running out to the opportunity to own one. Pulled the trigger on a 2015 Passat TDI SEL in October. I have really enjoyed the car and look forward to driving it for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 6th, 2018, 19:59   #9
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
My enthusiasm is burning as hot as ever. I bought a Golf for my son this year, then when it wrecked, I bought another one. Also have an Audi 3.0 TDI. For me the extended warranty on engine and emissions systems is the cornerstone. My plan is to drive diesels until the extended warranty expires (end of 2024 for the 3.0, 2027 for the 2.0), then figure out what to do next.
I'm jealous of the warranty you guys get in the US ! Only two years on mine, but I paid half price so no complaints here.

That warranty has to be worth $4k alone not to mention peace of mind for almost a decade
mxtdiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 23:19   #10
Rjamesohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootchucker View Post
sorry to derail your thread, but how much did you pay, and what options/mileage does your car have?

You obviously did not derail this the thread - lol.

I can tell you this having looked at several SEL cars: manual trans usually adds $1500, CP0 maybe the same. Avg dealer asking price is probably $18.5 on these cars, but one dealer was asking nearly $20k for two Golf SEL manuals. They are a bit more scarce. An S would be $1500 less. Passats and Beetles seem to be $2-3 k less; it seems most popular are the Golfs and Sportwagens, but I was VERY tempted by a 2015 Passat SE at around $15.5 that was a beautiful car.

Not inexpensive but I think the cars are excellent values now given the warranty’s.

Makes me wonder - GM once again ALMOST got it right by bringing a diesel power plant from Germany for the Cruze, then they killed the Cruze this week. This made me even happier to stick with VW and even though diesel cars seem to be dwindling in the US (Mazda, Cruze, BMW, VW) there are still plenty of dIesel TRUCKS being sold so I don’t think there is any danger of fuel becoming scarce.

All in all - good place to be right now IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rjamesohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:09   #11
michTDI
Veteran Member

I also just bought a 2015 GSW TDI CPO a couple weeks ago. I have had nothing but TDI's since 2000. Still have (and use) my 2003 Jetta TDI. I just like diesels-and was considering getting a diesel truck-but they are just too expensive. I drove 350 miles to a dealer in Wisconsin to get mine......the Passat's are really nice too......it was hard deciding btwn the GSW and the Passat.
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:38   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

As a parts supplier, we've seen a huge jump in sales for maintenance and other products for MKVI and VII TDIs. Some products sales have increased tenfold. So we're definitely seeing a resurgence in TDI interest and ownership.
Old December 7th, 2018, 10:17   #13
2010TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michTDI View Post
......it was hard deciding btwn the GSW and the Passat.
For what it's worth, the GSW has better ratings from IIHS.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-wagon/2015

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-sedan/2015

(Not sure what they changed from 15 to 16, but if the 16 is marginal on the passenger small overlap, I'm not optomistic that the unrated 15 (or 14) are any better. VW either changed something structurally or IIHS changed something in the metrics bc the 16 upgraded the driver small overlap from acceptable in 15 to good in 16)
2010TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:37   #14
michTDI
Veteran Member

I ended up with GSW because of versatility of having the wagen. But I am pretty tall-and there is more headroom with the Passat. Also the seats in Passat were more comfortable. Seats in GSW probably feel great for someone who is 5'7" but it doesn't fit my back very well......
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2018, 15:42   #15
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michTDI View Post
I ended up with GSW because of versatility of having the wagen. But I am pretty tall-and there is more headroom with the Passat. Also the seats in Passat were more comfortable. Seats in GSW probably feel great for someone who is 5'7" but it doesn't fit my back very well......
Even if one doesn't feel the need for most of the upgrades in the top trim level (SEL / Highline), getting the sport seats (in leather - but i'd be fine if it was cloth like the GTI as well) is so totally worth it as far as I'm concerned. So much more comfortable than the S/SE "flat" seats.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote