09 Jetta, VCDS, codes........oh my

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
So after my second TDI I finally decided to get VCDS.............ran a scan and found a (couple) of codes.

I know what the priority means, mileage, etc but what exactly the code means in english is a mystery.................any input would be appreciated -

2 Faults Found:

005079 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor: Short to Plus
P13D7 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 36173 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 06:16:33

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1840 /min
Speed: 56.0 km/h
Bin. Bits: 00001010
Absolute Pres.: 0.0 bar
(no units): -12.80
Ign. Timing: 0.4 °BTDC
(no units): 4.00

005081 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor: Implausible Signal
P13D9 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 35971 km
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 06:04:14

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1863 /min
Speed: 94.0 km/h
Absolute Pres.: 83.0 bar
(no units): 11.80
Ign. Timing: 0.4 °BTDC
(no units): 4.00

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Thunderstruck said:
Neither of which is on that link, if the 005xxx number is the fault code
Yep :D that's kind of where I get stuck.........

Read the Ross-tech wiki and I assume the 005XXX is the fault code....but I didn't find it. Then I checked the PXXDY code with no result = :confused:

The rest is self explanatory, but given this is my first use of VCDS (translate I'm a newb/goob) I'm somewhat confused. Since it's an 09 with more than a few new sensors I figure they haven't seen it yet.

On the upside it's a great product, kicking myself I waited so long :D

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
EJ - call Andy at Ross-Tech and e-mail him what you posted. Great opportunity to get their site updated assuming they have the info they need.

Where in N. VA are you? I am outside of Manassas.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
"Internal Cylinder Pressure Sensor". Aren't the GPs on the CBEA compression sensing? Maybe the #4 GP is dead/dying. Have you tried the dealer?

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
securityguy said:
EJ - call Andy at Ross-Tech and e-mail him what you posted. Great opportunity to get their site updated assuming they have the info they need.

Where in N. VA are you? I am outside of Manassas.
That's just what I was about to do :D (I just got the unit connected up yesterday afternoon). Next order of business is to re-code the power windows in my wife's Rabbit to operate off the remote.........she's been a bit jealous since owr084 did mine ;)

The other side of the county, over in the Woodbridge area.

MayorDJQ said:
"Internal Cylinder Pressure Sensor". Aren't the GPs on the CBEA compression sensing? Maybe the #4 GP is dead/dying. Have you tried the dealer?
Oh don't get me started on those *sshats (Bill Britt VW in Fredricksburg VA). :mad: :D

Certified vehicle - according to VW means delivered with service history, the delivered NO records (been "on the way" for two weeks). Also means 3 months Sirius = never heard about it. Their sticker said leather interior, it's not. They're so clueless they didn't even know where the owner's manual was....they gave me one for a CC when all along it was right there in the glovebox.

Checked the fuel filter & found it had not been changed.............when questioned the reply was "20k service was complete, but the filter wasn't changed". Apparently my definition of complete is entirely different from theirs, complete to me means it's ALL been done. Service interval was reset when they put it on the lot, doesn't match the Carfax history report. (I did check the oil, it was fresh as a daisy before I bought it).

Typical VW dealer, abysmal & clueless. Shame VW has such a good product & such a crappy support network. My first day in charge of VWoA would be spent pulling the logo from a significant portion of the dealers.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
No too far away, read some stories about them also. The only one I've not had/heard some issue with is Martens. Though I have had some luck with my local dealership - Karen Radley (they've never done anything major).

As we're all aware the weakest link in the product line is the support network............they HAVE the product, the support needs to be addressed. We're off topic but it's a true mystery to me why the VWAG can't see this - stop trying to hide from the customer & listen to them.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Thanks folks, appreciate the input.

I'll keep an eye on it, rather have a bad glow plug than it be a pressure issue due to fuel starvation (clogged from HPFP self destructing).

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
EJ - my kids go school in Dumfries so I know your neck of the woods well. I have nothing but positive things to say about Martens. Bought my car from Lindsay but haven't let them do any service.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
There was another poster on the forum that had a code for a low cylinder pressure. They ended up putting a new cylinder head and piston in his car.

Keep an eye on things!

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
securityguy said:
EJ - my kids go school in Dumfries so I know your neck of the woods well. I have nothing but positive things to say about Martens. Bought my car from Lindsay but haven't let them do any service.
You, Tomo.........just about everyone else in our neck of the woods likes Martens :D

As I noted Karen Radley treats you decently for service - given the only service I had done on my Passat we a failed glow plug (early) and the brake switch recall = not much experience.

FowVay said:
There was another poster on the forum that had a code for a low cylinder pressure. They ended up putting a new cylinder head and piston in his car.
:eek:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Might check the wiring first to see if its ok..

Then a GP/PS next..

I believe it was someone else that lost a #4 cylinder.

Thats not good. Hope you still have a waranty.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Yea it was number 4 cyl.The funny thing about the car it ran fine:confused:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Were you just running it for kicks, or was there some symptom? I ask because my car has had a shudder when first starting out, but tonight it was 25 when I left work and the car felt like it was only running on 3 cylinders-super rough but once it got a little warm it was business as usual. I am scheduled to drop it off again next Friday at the dealer.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
MonsterTDI09 said:
Yea it was number 4 cyl.The funny thing about the car it ran fine:confused:
Same here, runs just fine. :confused:

Thunderstruck said:
Were you just running it for kicks, or was there some symptom? I ask because my car has had a shudder when first starting out, but tonight it was 25 when I left work and the car felt like it was only running on 3 cylinders-super rough but once it got a little warm it was business as usual. I am schI deceduled to drop it off again next Friday at the dealer.
Both...........sort of......kind of........

Fellow member here showed me vcds. We saw one & cleared it. I decided to buy it = I was testing it & found these.

quailallstar

TDI
Golf 7 R-Line Variant
So of course my 2011 TDI is out of warranty with almost 39,000 on the clock and this MIL came on as well for me :(

Same issue with cyl #4 here - haven't taken it to the dealer. I cleared the code and it came back in about 10 miles of driving. I hope it's nothing major because I'll send this car back to Germany on the first ship with a nice "thank you" letter to VW ;)

Here is a copy of my code:

2 Faults Found:

005079 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D7 - 000 - Short to Plus - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 61551 km
Date: 2016.14.04
Time: 20:31:56

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1679 /min
Speed: 100.0 km/h
Absolute Pres.: 240.0 bar
(no units): 10.40
Ign. Timing: 0.5 °BTDC
(no units): 6.00

005081 - Cylinder 4 Internal Pressure Sensor
P13D9 - 003 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100011
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 61556 km
Date: 2016.14.04
Time: 20:35:12

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1518 /min
Speed: 90.0 km/h
Absolute Pres.: 53.0 bar
(no units): 11.50
Ign. Timing: 0.0 °BTDC
(no units): 6.00

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
So of course my 2011 TDI is out of warranty with almost 39,000 on the clock and this MIL came on as well for me :(

Same issue with cyl #4 here - haven't taken it to the dealer. I cleared the code and it came back in about 10 miles of driving. I hope it's nothing major because I'll send this car back to Germany on the first ship with a nice "thank you" letter to VW ;)
Again, it sounds like you have a bad glow plug on Cyl 4, or a bad connection to it. Cylinder pressure sensor is in the glow plug. You might check and see if you can swap the wires for GPs 3 and 4 (I don't know, I haven't tried it). These are the two cylinders nearest the center of the car (on the tranmission end). Clear the error and see if it fails again on 3 or 4. If it fails on 3 it's a bad glow plug. If it fails on 4 it's a bad wire. Glow plugs are not too expensive and not that hard to replace ($125 MSRP, less other places).

Have Fun!

Don

quailallstar

TDI
Golf 7 R-Line Variant
Again, it sounds like you have a bad glow plug on Cyl 4, or a bad connection to it. Cylinder pressure sensor is in the glow plug. You might check and see if you can swap the wires for GPs 3 and 4 (I don't know, I haven't tried it). These are the two cylinders nearest the center of the car (on the tranmission end). Clear the error and see if it fails again on 3 or 4. If it fails on 3 it's a bad glow plug. If it fails on 4 it's a bad wire. Glow plugs are not too expensive and not that hard to replace ($125 MSRP, less other places).

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks Don! I'll figure this out and report back what I find.

quailallstar

TDI
Golf 7 R-Line Variant
Why is it out of warranty at 39k? Is the engine not covered by that 60k warranty?

I get it could be a glow plug, but it might not be...
Unless I'm wrong, I thought the engine was only covered until the 36K or 3 years and emissions related items for 60K. Again I'm going off memory here. Haven't looked at my manual in a long time.

bkrahmer

TDI
2006 Passat Wagon
Glow plugs are not too expensive and not that hard to replace ($125 MSRP, less other places)
I find $125 really really expensive, especially after coming from an ALH, where you could pick them up for $15. :D My dealer replaced 2 of these under warranty, and I believe I have another bad one due to intermittent misses and occasional rough idle.

brian

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I find $125 really really expensive, especially after coming from an ALH, where you could pick them up for $15. :D My dealer replaced 2 of these under warranty, and I believe I have another bad one due to intermittent misses and occasional rough idle.

brian
1) You have to realize that these are not just plain glow plugs. They also contain the cylinder pressure sensors. These are unique to CR engines and therefore more pricey.
2) Glow plugs are only used for starting the engine when cold. Once the engine is running and even slightly warm, the glow plugs are off. They should have nothing to do with misses and rough idle (unless it is right after you start the engine).

$125 is list price, you can buy them for $80 or less on-line (still not cheap, but better).

Have Fun!

Don

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
I had these codes come in on mine also. Found that the corresponding glow plug was loose....pulled it out and also found that the small plastic ring shroud that fit on end of harness plug was broken so it wasn't clipping onto the glow plug like it should. I was told that the little ring couldn't be had without purchasing the harness. So i just pulled out the broken plastic ring and plugged the glow plug back in and haven't had a problem since.

Hope this is of some help.

bkrahmer

TDI
2006 Passat Wagon
1) You have to realize that these are not just plain glow plugs. They also contain the cylinder pressure sensors. These are unique to CR engines and therefore more pricey.
2) Glow plugs are only used for starting the engine when cold. Once the engine is running and even slightly warm, the glow plugs are off. They should have nothing to do with misses and rough idle (unless it is right after you start the engine).

$125 is list price, you can buy them for $80 or less on-line (still not cheap, but better).
Thanks, Don. I did know both of those points. If I'm wrong in that the cyl press sensor could cause a rough idle after start and intermittent missing, please feel free to diagnose my problem further. :) Those symptoms were happening a lot right before the last one was changed after it threw a code. I've thought about replacing the remaining two, but don't want to blow $200 on a whim.

brian