Some new problems to watch out for

badgolfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
oilhammer said:
I can however report the A5 Jetta so far has not presented itself with any problems to me whatsoever. All my A5 customers' cars have been very good save for the horrific Continental tires some of them were equipped with.
I've found the factory Contis on mine are great as long as it isn't hot, cold, wet, or dry outside. :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
Can someone post a picture with arrows and caveman instructions for the A/C compressor fix? I believe mine might be making noise.
I have no pic, but on the ALH just remove the lower splash shield/skid plate. The A/C compressor is the aluminum barrel-shaped thing all the way on the bottom of the engine, run by the accessory belt. Right in front of the oil pan. On the pulley of the compressor, right smack in the middle, is a nut. Can't miss it.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'll have to check my a/c compressor then. It's not making noise, but it's good to check anyhow. Even though I've only got about 67k on mine, do you think it might be loose? I mean the car is close to 6 model years old, now.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Just though the "freewheeling" alternator pulley should make it into this common failure point thread. Those things are for the birds IMO.

oilhammer

TDI
jollyGreenGiant said:
Just though the "freewheeling" alternator pulley should make it into this common failure point thread. Those things are for the birds IMO.
edited for that, thanks!

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Just going by sound, how does one tell if there is a problem with say the tensioner pulley or alt one-way pulley? Does the sound compare to that made by an american muscle car with a root's blower toothed belt (that's about the only way to describe the sound our B5 has made since the day we bought it). I always thought it was just the timing belt making the sound but now I am starting to wonder. It hasn't changed in the 30k miles we have put on the car but I don't want something flying apart on my wife.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
oilhammer said:
Mirror heaters are burning up because people leave them on. That little symbol in the center of the switch is sort of a universal sign for a heating element, with a little mirror shape background. If the key is on, and that switch is in the center position, the mirror heaters are on. They are not timed, they will just burn out. Keep the switch in the L or R positions, and only use the heater when you need to.
This is an unbelievably boneheaded design on VW's part. Why would you not provide a labeled "off" position or at least have a 10 minute timer on the heating element? Just a couple weeks ago, I let my wife use my car for a long trip (second time I've ever let her drive MY car) and sure enough, I get in it the next day and see my mirrors were adjusted and the adjustment knob is smack dab in the middle with heated mirrors ON!:mad: She thought she had done the right thing by adjusting left, then right, then moving it to the middle position. I guess I'll find out in a month or two if I still have heated mirrors.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, it is a little strange, but learning to properly operate the machine, even if its operation is a little odd, is all that is required to keep it in good working order.

You can scan the car and see if they are dead, it will set a DTC.

rs_us999

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI auto
Thanks Oilhammer! Great info.

I've got an '02 Jetta with the 01M automatic. I'm kicking myself for not buying the 5sp. That was a concession to the wife who occasionally drives it. So far no big problems, but occasional strange behavior like when cold, delayed shifting into 3rd and then slamming into it. I guess I'll just count the days until I have a serious problem.

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
This is an unbelievably boneheaded design on VW's part. Why would you not provide a labeled "off" position or at least have a 10 minute timer on the heating element? Just a couple weeks ago, I let my wife use my car for a long trip (second time I've ever let her drive MY car) and sure enough, I get in it the next day and see my mirrors were adjusted and the adjustment knob is smack dab in the middle with heated mirrors ON!:mad: She thought she had done the right thing by adjusting left, then right, then moving it to the middle position. I guess I'll find out in a month or two if I still have heated mirrors.
Mine have been on for two years... Until I saw this thread.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I didn't even know my car had heated mirrors! They have been switched on since I bought the car in 2004 so I guess I don't have heated mirrors, anymore.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Honeydew said:
I didn't even know my car had heated mirrors! They have been switched on since I bought the car in 2004 so I guess I don't have heated mirrors, anymore.
LOL!!!:D

Like I said, a quick scan with VAG-COM or similar and you'll know if they are still intact. If not, no big deal to replace them.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
@ 105k, my battery indicator light came on imtermittantly. My guru, KCTDI, suspected the alternator pulley. We couldn't get the pulley off w/o removing the alternator and at that point it made more sense to replace the alternator. The reman unit from AZ @ $180, with a lifetime warranty was reasonable enough, however. I'm thankful that I have a 5spd also.

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
oilhammer said:
From my experience, Aisin is usually the only ones to make a really good unit. But even some of those as of late are having issues (the Lexus ES350 comes to mind... :cool: ).

My sister-in-laws 3.6 4Motion Passat (2007) Aisin transmission failed @9k miles, the replacement transmission did not work, so she waited another week for another replacement transmission. She got the car back and a week later she had a new problem-a coolant leak. That was fixed, a day later coolant leak came back. Oh yeah the engine was replaced @ 8k miles. VW what's going on?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Yeah the whole 01M trans thing would be funny if it wasn't so scary. In other words, I'd laugh if I weren't crying. Mine hiccuped the other day and oilhammer gave me his usual advice on this-to start saving money. And of course, pig-headed as I am, I immediately ruled out a manual swap.

Those things are cheap! I just saw on a vendor list here yesterday (I think it was bleached bora but now I can't recall) that those manual trans are like 1500...so now I have to eat my words lol.

kramnnim

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 NB
I have two cars with 01M's...one with 120k, the other has 140k...apparently they're both ticking time bombs... I understand that a 5sp swap is a possible fix, but my wife and I are both used to driving autos...is it possible to swap in a newer auto tranny? Like...whatever replaced the 01M in '03... It seems kind of stupid to spend $4800 for a reman 01M that will need to be replaced again in another 100k...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
oilhammer said:
I have no pic, but on the ALH just remove the lower splash shield/skid plate. The A/C compressor is the aluminum barrel-shaped thing all the way on the bottom of the engine, run by the accessory belt. Right in front of the oil pan. On the pulley of the compressor, right smack in the middle, is a nut. Can't miss it.
You can't do this from the top?

DANG! I put a clutch in this weekend and had everything opened up. Maybe I'll wait until timing belt time to check it.

--Nate

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
oilhammer said:
Is this it? Or is this the powersteering pump?

EDIT

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
g-wagen said:
unfortunately no, the mirrors are on when ever the selector is set to the mirror picture. In my 06 golf's manual it even states "to turn knob to heating position, until mirrors are defrosted and to then return the knob to either the left or right position"
You can wire them up the "correct" way. It really only needs 1 wire from the defrost switch to the CCM.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137888

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
highender said:
Is that the correct nut to tighten ? I am not sure where it is located either...

Can some one point it out in Brian's photo ?

Thanks.
I think that's the power steering.:(

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
oilhammer said:
Next thing I have seen is some failed engine controllers on ALH cars. Some others have had the same problem as well. Causes some seemingly unrelated DTCs to keep coming up that will not clear, and the engine will be hard to start, won't hardly rev up, and will white smoke heavily. I have had 3 of these myself.
Were the three failed controllers that you saw all the same part number?

BrianCT said:
Is this it? Or is this the powersteering pump?
That is the P/S pump. The A/C is at the very bottom by the splash shield.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
OK - I have a PD and was just under it with the camera. What is this stuff and why are there some holes with threads but no bolt in them? Like I said, you're talking to a caveman here. KISS!

oilhammer

TDI
The arrow in Brian's pic is pointing to the correct nut. Kinda tight to get at from the top, but you can, I have usually gotten them from the bottom...but I admit I am usually checking them during a t-belt service.

Removing the charge air tube near the PS reservoir (on G/J models anyways) will help.

Matthew, all the failed controllers were ALH cars, manual or automatic, and they were all 2000 models, if that narrows it down. The other folks that had the same problem may have had different model year cars, not sure.

Blue Hen, your PD is arranged a little different, but that big aluminum barrel thing in your pic is the BACK of the compressor.

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
oilhammer said:
Blue Hen, your PD is arranged a little different, but that big aluminum barrel thing in your pic is the BACK of the compressor.
You can tell it's the compressor by the lines coming off of it.

oilhammer

TDI
dhdenney said:
You can tell it's the compressor by the lines coming off of it.
Well, the PS pump also has lines coming off of it. :eek:

I guess it is easy for me to take for granted what an A/C compressor looks like. But in all honesty, if you do NOT know what a compressor looks like, perhaps you'd be better off leaving your car's service to a professional. I mean no offense by this...after all, we can't all be everything. I can't dance or sing. :)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The alternator alos has "lines" coming off of it. Electrical lines - true, but since Blue Hen has admitted to cavemanism, we need to be clear.