97 AHU crank, no start... NOT THE RELAY!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The CPS is reading 11-13k ohms resistance

Wait a sec.... is that truly 11-13K or 1.1-1.3K? If the latter, the CPS is within spec.

Not sure what to make of the fact that messing with the plug and hitting the sensor, causing the car to shut down. Maybe dirty terminals? It's a pita to change, so I'd want to be sure.

-Todd

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
It was 11k, not 1.1k. I discovered a few chafed wires under the fan motor, I don't know if maybe it was rubbing on them as the engine moved and grounded out? I noticed today when I got it running that turning the lights on caused it to stumble, so something electrical isn't happy under load, or the light circuit is making contact with something else and the draw of turning the lights on does something. I'm a little annoyed that it's appearing to just be chafed wires, but on the bright side it did force me to get off my ass and order the new starter finally. And I already got the sensor, so I'll either throw it in for haha's since I have it (and probably regret the decision looking at where it is) or just keep it for when it eventually does go bad.

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
I went through the paperwork the car came with and tracked down the guy that swapped it (this car has been around a few times...) and he said it's a k03/k04 hybrid on it. Nothing to do with my issue, but answers that guestion.

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
Well it's fixed. The CPS was bad, and the no start/intermittent start and power problems were the battery ground to the unibody. It was broken inside the sheathing, so I didn't see it when I was checking grounds. Of course it was something simple... but at least it made me get off my butt and fix the speed sensor which has been causing erratic gauges, and the weak starter.

Thanks for the input, though! I'm going to add everything in here to my troubleshooting list I'm making for future reference. Currently prepping it for an autocross on Sunday.