Has anyone done the Gen 2 fix?

bluetoy

TDI
2012 Passat
Just wondering if there is anyone left that still has a gen 2 tdi and decided to get the fix?

zmetl

TDI
2102 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Touareg TDI
I updated my 2012 Gen 2 Passat last Thur. Not much of a difference (if any) in feel or mileage. I noticed a slight hesitation when starting out cold when leaving the dealership but haven't noticed it since. Still on the same tank of fuel and just a bit over 100 miles since the update so we will see what happens. Most of my mileage is on the tollway so I'll be interested to see what the MPG is like during the next month.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Reports are mixed. There's a guy who is hating the results (mpgs and overall dynamics) in B7/NMS sub-forum.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I got the fix a week ago and thumbs up so far. For some, there is an advantage apparently to wait, for me not so (car only has 21,500 miles). I got my check from VW in 3 days (north of $ 7,100). Woo hoo!

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Had it done today, wife drove car home says she cannot tell any difference. Noticed that the dealer has quite a few TDI's for sale if anyone is looking. Now just to figure out the next step.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
My wife's 2012 Passat SE was updated Monday, Payment in FULL (6K$) on Thursday. 72K miles, no noticeable diff from her perspective. I can't wait to drive it and give a better perspective.

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I received letter from VW in the past week saying emission repairs are now available for my 2014 Passat TDI. Questions:

1) The letter talks about increased mid range noise (could be an issue), changes to torque mostly when cold (may be an issue), less than 1 MPG drop in fuel economy (promising), increased DEF consumption (not a big deal as I fill my own DEF). Does anyone have any experiences on the impact of the emissions repair?
2) If an owner gets the car repaired and is unhappy with the noise, torque, fuel or DEF consumption are they stuck with the car? It seems after repairing the car if its performance is unsatisfactory to the owner VW should buy it back.

Thanks.

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
I received letter from VW in the past week saying emission repairs are now available for my 2014 Passat TDI. Questions:

1) The letter talks about increased mid range noise (could be an issue), changes to torque mostly when cold (may be an issue), less than 1 MPG drop in fuel economy (promising), increased DEF consumption (not a big deal as I fill my own DEF). Does anyone have any experiences on the impact of the emissions repair?
2) If an owner gets the car repaired and is unhappy with the noise, torque, fuel or DEF consumption are they stuck with the car? It seems after repairing the car if its performance is unsatisfactory to the owner VW should buy it back.

Thanks.
The settlement does say that VW has to do a buyback if the owner/lessee is not happy with the fix and requests it. I talked to the CAS lawyer a couple of months back and he stated this, too.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The settlement does say that VW has to do a buyback if the owner/lessee is not happy with the fix and requests it. I talked to the CAS lawyer a couple of months back and he stated this, too.
Can you point to where in the settlement that is outlined? To my understanding, the only way you can get rid of your car to VW after getting the fix is due to a recurring fault/break-down.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Gen 2 fix done Wednesday, wife's car asked if she noticed any difference expected answer was received. Put it in garage after she did her stuff on Thursday noticed the MFI said 29.4 MPG, was a bit concerned but she did all around town driving. Today took it on about a 50 mile trip mileage at 43.6 town and highway mix. So after driving notice no difference but that first day was somewhat of a surprise.

Island bus guy

TDI
2014 VW Beetle
We have a 2014 Beetle. From what I can gather it is a Gen 2, but not 100% sure. Any way to find out? I went to the VIN ID on the VW settlement site, but it does not say what Gen we are. Thanks in advance!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
If it's not 2015 or later *or* a Passat, it's Gen-1 iirc . . . they didn't do SCR in anything bjt the Passat until 2015 . . .

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Can you point to where in the settlement that is outlined? To my understanding, the only way you can get rid of your car to VW after getting the fix is due to a recurring fault/break-down.
hey dborja, I second roni024's reply, can you point the settlement location? What CAS lawyer did you talk to?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In addition to this thread, there is much discussion of Gen 2 fixes in the NMS Passat forum. Gen 2 is 2012, 2013 and 2014 Passats ONLY. V6 TDIs are a very similar setup, but the emissions generations refer only to the 2.0 4-cylinder engines.

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
hey dborja, I second roni024's reply, can you point the settlement location? What CAS lawyer did you talk to?
Sorry, I have been busy and not yet been able to look up the reference in the court order. But it does have some recourse if the fix is not satisfactory. The lawyer I spoke to is from the office of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP (the lead CAS law firm). Their number is 415-956-1000 and they are quite helpful.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
My Drive report, Post Passat DSG Fix: I can hear the difference, sounds like a little diesel. hoo-hoo! I like it. The shift points are definitely revised, but no change to power and acceleration. I did notice a strange hook up of the transmission when going from no foot feed to acceleration after coasting. Not a bad situation, just a strange feel, from my seat of the pants judgment. Mileage is still good. 40+ MPG

Dacman

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I am trying to decide what to do with mine. I love it but uncertain about the future . From what I read to this point, the new software fix has an 18 month warranty, if it has problems and FOUR trips to the service department don't fix it within that time, they will buy it back. I'm also reading that the ad blue useage will or may double. Waiting and thinking.