Thanks and so long . . .

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
Thank you to everyone on this forum who provided help and advice over the years. I owned two diesels and loved them both. But the buyout offer was too good to pass up.

Best wishes

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Thank you to everyone on this forum who provided help and advice over the years. I owned two diesels and loved them both. But the buyout offer was too good to pass up.

Best wishes
i think its time to buy the new 2015 now

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
i am gone too, TDI went back Thursday, have an Alltrack now. This is a good site and will keep going for sure.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Bye!!!!! Dont let the fuel door hit your ass on the way out...

air1mtt

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI: took buyout, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI: took buyout
It is a great site. I would love to buy a used VW diesel once this all settles down. Six speed fun car to tune

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
Bye!!!!! Dont let the fuel door hit your ass on the way out...
Lol! My Sonata goes further on a tank than the TDI ever did. And only costs about $4 a week more to drive in fuel costs, definitely not breaking the bank. No timing belt replacements and DSG fluid changes so it's a lot cheaper to own.

Oh, and so far I don't see it needing over $5k in repairs in its first couple years of life (it's already 2)

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
nick1994, my coworker's Sonata[it was hybrid] never has gone more than 31-33 mpg on the carpooling we did for 2 years while my TDI was averaging 45 mpg on the same road and condition. So every week she was definitely spending about 45% more on gas than what I was spending on diesel fuel.

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
Got back from a 400 mile trip in my non-hybrid Sonata today, 35 mpg driving it hard. The TDI (automatic) would have gotten about 39 mpg. Diesel fuel costs 8.7% more than gasoline but the diesel got 10.2% better mpg than my car. This 400 mile trip would have been $0.64 cheaper in the TDI.

No thanks.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
if all you think about is economy, then the TDI is not for you.. You dont get it and you most likely wont. If you seriously think a Sonata is on the same playing field as a Jetta, then you are exactly the type of non car kind of person that is meant to drive a Hyundai. And how does one drive a Hyundai "hard" lol

Now, figure in your non existing resale value and the TDi will beat a Hyundai all day including Sunday.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I drove a bunch of hybrids when i thought about going that route. The hyundai were some of the best and come with better warranties than i'd ever heard of. The Ioniq supposedly averages 58mpg! It wasn't sluggish like a Prius either, just had way less space than my JSW. That ended up being the deal breaker for me. All the hybrids had a boxy/ boaty feel. Hard to describe but i felt like i could live with it. Couldn't do without the space though. I ended up getting one of the "new" GSW which i hope to average around 41mpg. I love the way my JSW drives and sad to see it go but glad i stuck with one of these cars. GSW has a bit less pick up but no comparison in the driving experience to the hybrids. Close enough to my JSW and with a little better milage.

Last edited:

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I own both a 13 Passat TDI and a KIA Optima hybrid (same as the Sonata). I can confirm in the same traffic in my commute 32 miles one way mixed freeway and stop/go - the Optima gets about 35 MPG and the TDI gets about 38.

BUT I can say that the TDI is a much better drive (no hybrid lag) - larger trunk (no batteries), etc..

I find it hard to image a regular one "driven hard" gets 35 MPG...

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Got back from a 400 mile trip in my non-hybrid Sonata today, 35 mpg driving it hard. The TDI (automatic) would have gotten about 39 mpg. Diesel fuel costs 8.7% more than gasoline but the diesel got 10.2% better mpg than my car. This 400 mile trip would have been $0.64 cheaper in the TDI.

No thanks.
Youll enjoy that Sonata Hybrid for about a month, then youll miss the TDI- We bought a 16 Sonata Hybrid to replace the 2013 Jetta, We then traded it in for a new 2015 Jetta TDI ... Best decision ever not having to drive that car. Had to get towed out of my fiances driveway at 7k miles because it had electrical failure. (couldn't even jump the battery)

Sorry but ill pass on buying one of those again, oh and btw Hyundai just recalled a ton of motors up to 2015... Obviously haven't figured it out yet.

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
if all you think about is economy, then the TDI is not for you.. You dont get it and you most likely wont. If you seriously think a Sonata is on the same playing field as a Jetta, then you are exactly the type of non car kind of person that is meant to drive a Hyundai. And how does one drive a Hyundai "hard" lol

Now, figure in your non existing resale value and the TDi will beat a Hyundai all day including Sunday.
I paid $9,990 for my 2015 Sonata. What do I have to worry about resale value? I paid pennies for it.

I find it hard to image a regular one "driven hard" gets 35 MPG...
It's rated for 37 on the highway

Youll enjoy that Sonata Hybrid for about a month, then youll miss the TDI- We bought a 16 Sonata Hybrid to replace the 2013 Jetta, We then traded it in for a new 2015 Jetta TDI ... Best decision ever not having to drive that car. Had to get towed out of my fiances driveway at 7k miles because it had electrical failure. (couldn't even jump the battery)
Sorry but ill pass on buying one of those again, oh and btw Hyundai just recalled a ton of motors up to 2015... Obviously haven't figured it out yet.
Mine isn't a hybrid. I've had a hybrid one as a rental and didn't care for it. 2014 is the highest year that's part of the recall.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Don't speak ill of the [dead] TDI here! There are many loyal followers.

I wouldn't hold up a Jetta as a better vehicle over a Sonata, though. An MK7 Golf? Sure. Great chassis.

Like nick, I also look at total cost of ownership, and the TDI is hard to justify. If there was no price premium to buy one, I'd have bought one a while ago, but the premium, like a hybrid, takes many, many miles to make up.

I also keep my cars a long time and don't put value in claims for a supposedly lower depreciation with a TDI. I get rid of a car when its dead, or near dead to me. Depreciation is hard to account for at that state.

Take that 2015 TDI engine and put it in my 2016 TSI GSW for the same price, and yes, I'll be a happy TDI fan. Take away the MIBII and make me only have the Vtex seats, and no thanks, I'll stick to my TSI.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I paid $9,990 for my 2015 Sonata. What do I have to worry about resale value? I paid pennies for it.

It's rated for 37 on the highway
LOL please don't state EPA figures as your proof (especially from a company fined for mis-stating EPA figures).

Just about any modern car will get 40 MPG on the freeway. You just can't drive it hard and get those figures.

Heck my C6 gets great mileage on the freeway. But just look at the gas pedal too hard and those numbers drop faster than Trumps approval ratings.

EPA numbers for freeway are gamed for optimum mileage. 65 mph cruise control, no speeding, overinflated tires, etc. Real world is much different.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
I bought a new 2009 Jetta TDI back in the day and put over 100k on it before turning it in to VW last December. It got great mileage and was very reliable, but not that much fun to drive (the '91 BMW 318is I used to have was fun to drive). I have been driving a 2014 Passat TDI and 2014 Jetta TDI for the past 10 months; the Passat is more comfortable but feels underpowered. I think the 2.0 liter diesel is a good engine, but I don't feel the same passion for it that some of you seem to enjoy. Now the 3.0 liter diesel that is in the Q7 I picked up in January - that is a sweet engine. Just wish it was in an A6 instead of the Q7.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
EPA numbers for freeway are gamed for optimum mileage. 65 mph cruise control, no speeding, overinflated tires, etc. Real world is much different.
Um, no. There's a proscribed drive cycle, and it doesn't involve cruise control. I've been able to beat EPA on every car I've owned without doing those things. Lifetime average on the Touareg including city is 26 MPG, rated is only 28 highway, and it's only about 70/30 highway so I should be lower than that if I believe EPA numbers.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
I bought a new 2009 Jetta TDI back in the day and put over 100k on it before turning it in to VW last December. It got great mileage and was very reliable, but not that much fun to drive (the '91 BMW 318is I used to have was fun to drive). I have been driving a 2014 Passat TDI and 2014 Jetta TDI for the past 10 months; the Passat is more comfortable but feels underpowered. I think the 2.0 liter diesel is a good engine, but I don't feel the same passion for it that some of you seem to enjoy. Now the 3.0 liter diesel that is in the Q7 I picked up in January - that is a sweet engine. Just wish it was in an A6 instead of the Q7.

New TDIs are being had for 20k... your new Q7 is what? Almost triple? The point is these are meant for economy and power. They won't blow your doors off, but they will do the job faster than a civic while getting 48 mpgs real life. Oh and they last hundreds of tjousands of miles....

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Don't speak ill of the [dead] TDI here! There are many loyal followers.

I wouldn't hold up a Jetta as a better vehicle over a Sonata, though. An MK7 Golf? Sure. Great chassis.

Like nick, I also look at total cost of ownership, and the TDI is hard to justify. If there was no price premium to buy one, I'd have bought one a while ago, but the premium, like a hybrid, takes many, many miles to make up.

I also keep my cars a long time and don't put value in claims for a supposedly lower depreciation with a TDI. I get rid of a car when its dead, or near dead to me. Depreciation is hard to account for at that state.

Take that 2015 TDI engine and put it in my 2016 TSI GSW for the same price, and yes, I'll be a happy TDI fan. Take away the MIBII and make me only have the Vtex seats, and no thanks, I'll stick to my TSI.
I'm content with the value proposition of $18.6K for my GSW TDI and its 11 year 162k warranty and 54 mpg actual so far. Plus, thank God I don't have to drive a Hyundai (lol).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Good points below, thank you. We can not rely on anecdotical evidence to compare the efficiency of a modern light duty diesel engine with very complex emission system with a modern gasoline engine with no GPF (gas particle filter).

Now compare a modern TDI (fixed) going 50/50 city/highway and 50% with one passenger and 50% of the time loaded with passenger and cargo with millions of miles against a modern gasoline counterpart in similar driving conditions. The result: the TDI is going to be at LEAST in double digits percentage improvement for the MPG.

Look at sites such as Fuelly and similar and you realize the gasoline cars are not really catching up with their light duty diesel counterparts MPG despite the fact that the diesel passenger cars have to have more complex emissions systems that decrease their stellar efficiency.

Folks, the laws of physic still apply here.

LOL please don't state EPA figures as your proof (especially from a company fined for mis-stating EPA figures).

Just about any modern car will get 40 MPG on the freeway. You just can't drive it hard and get those figures.

Heck my C6 gets great mileage on the freeway. But just look at the gas pedal too hard and those numbers drop faster than Trumps approval ratings.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
New TDIs are being had for 20k... your new Q7 is what? Almost triple? The point is these are meant for economy and power. They won't blow your doors off, but they will do the job faster than a civic while getting 48 mpgs real life. Oh and they last hundreds of tjousands of miles....

I picked up a used 2012 Q7 just for a profit opportunity, not a new one, and that will work out quite nicely for me. I have been very impressed by the diesel in this vehicle, just not so much with the smaller diesel in my Jettas and Passat. And there are no truly new TDIs - only very low mileage 2015s that have been deteriorating on dealer lots for nearly three years.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015s that have been deteriorating on dealer lots for nearly three years.
Build date on mine was May 2015 and purchased May 2017. All the others available at that dealer (5 total the day I was there) were April, May, or June 2015 builds. So, "nearly three years" is off by about 50%, and they were all in remarkable condition. I think the $8,000 off purchase, 162k warranty, and 6 years at 0% more than make up for nearly two years in dealer storage and a car yielding 54 mpg for me. I'm still waiting to be disappointed about any aspect of the sale.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Car model years are really annoying. Every manufacturer switches at a different time. I think it's just a marketing ploy so that halfway through 2017 people think of a 2015 car as three years old, even though for some manufacturers it might have been made in November 2015 and barely be over half that age.

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
Build date on mine was May 2015 and purchased May 2017. All the others available at that dealer (5 total the day I was there) were April, May, or June 2015 builds. So, "nearly three years" is off by about 50%, and they were all in remarkable condition. I think the $8,000 off purchase, 162k warranty, and 6 years at 0% more than make up for nearly two years in dealer storage and a car yielding 54 mpg for me. I'm still waiting to be disappointed about any aspect of the sale.
My point is that buyers of 2015 TDIs are not getting "new" cars. We just disagree on whether or not the deal you got represents a good value. It is good to see that you got the dealer to take a $3,000 "hit" on the price (not counting the $5,000 rebate provided by VW Finance), since many dealers are seemingly trying to sell these "new" cars at much smaller discounts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are new cars if you are the first to title one. My 2015 Beetle TDI is new with only 224 miles on it. VW, the government, GEICO etc understand this is so. Storing it for some time doesn't make it not new.

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
They are new cars if you are the first to title one. My 2015 Beetle TDI is new with only 224 miles on it. VW, the government, GEICO etc understand this is so. Storing it for some time doesn't make it not new.
VW, the Feds, GEICO and even Beetle drivers can think they are new, but time, the ultimate authority, says these cars are already middle-aged. But as Jeremy Clarkson would say to Richard Hammond (referring to his Porsche), "enjoy your Beetle."

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW, the Feds, GEICO and even Beetle drivers can think they are new, but time, the ultimate authority, says these cars are already middle-aged. But as Jeremy Clarkson would say to Richard Hammond (referring to his Porsche), "enjoy your Beetle."
Middle aged? You only expect a TDI to last four years? :p

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
"the ultimate authority" is who exactly? You seem to be the only one. So far the government, VW, the dealers, the finance company, the insurance company and many others all agree it is a new vehicle. Did God come down and tell you they were used? It is a left over new vehicle for sale now. I am enjoying my new 2015 Beetle TDI!