NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
At what point do we replace the pump as maintenance? Is anyone confident that this will last 200-300 -400K? Even with B2 / lubricity agent on every filling.
If you believe the problem with the HPFP is lubricity, using fuel that has a 460 micron wear scar or less should give a target life in excess of 200k miles. Drivibiwire has stated:

I would expect on typical good quality fuel in the US (420 +/-) that 300-400K will be the likely life of the pumps.
A wear scar rating higher (worse) than that of 460-500 may get the owner 150-250K.
If the wear scar of the fuel used was around 400 microns, then maybe the HPFP should be replaced during the second (or third) timing belt maintenance at 240k (360k) miles.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
From the Spicer Study, the Optilube XPD reduces the HFRR rating from 650 to something like 350. Problem solved right?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Except there have been people who have been additivizing, and still had a failure.

And, other vehicles with similar pump designs haven't been having failures to anywhere near this scale.

I suspect that, while the lubricity isn't helping matters, lubricity isn't the problem, here.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Except there have been people who have been additivizing, and still had a failure.
Do we have specific examples from members on here? I had not seen any failures in Bio-mandate states or from people who had been consistently adding a good quality lubricity agent.

cprtrails

TDI
None yet
Edit: I'd also like to add that if the pump were lubricated by our supposedly high quality engine oil, one failure mode (lack of fuel lubrication) would be eliminated (of course then you have the "starved of oil and grenaded, destroying the engine through the engine oil outlet" issue, but I think it's less likely that will happen since a sensor would surely turn the car off well before then).
Sounds good, but not possible. The CP4.1 pump or any common rail pump these days have such tight tolerances that clean filtered diesel fuel is the only acceptable lubricant to do the job. Engine oil is too dirty to provide proper lubrication in a common rail system so the quality and lubricity of the diesel fuel is the only option or variable to ensuring trouble-free operation.

This whole issue is unfortunate for consumers, but the reality is that an extraordinary amount of money has been spent in research and development by Bosch, VW, and other diesel providers to develop diesels that meet current EPA, CARB, and EURO regulations. They all could have decided to back out of the diesel market and relieve themselves of this grief, but they didn't and have had to work as fast as possible with the best available technology to provide a TDI for us to enjoy.

I'd venture to say that the cause of all HPFP failures are the result of a number of sources. Some probably from defects in manufacturing/assembly, poor fuel quality, and negligent consumers either filling with gasoline, not changing fuel filters at proper intervals, or using unapproved additives or bio fuel mixtures. VW and Bosch certainly needed to take the U.S. fuel quality in consideration when bringing the TDI to North America, but it's not the only common rail diesel product in production. Common rail diesels are now the norm in most diesel engine platforms to meet EPA mandates. I think the fuel quality issue is the largest variable that should be addressed to help resolve these issues and the EPA and government should do more to force refineries and distributors to do their part. If this technology is essential for all diesels to run as expected in this day and age, it should be mandatory that only the finest quality diesel with proper lubrication be available at every station.

I hesitated to purchase an 09-10 Jetta TDI because of my experience in supporting diesels in the heavy duty truck industry and all the problems I've seen over the past several years with the introduction of common rail, DPF's, and SCR technology. I'm very glad I waited now after seeing the HPFP issues. It's disappointing because I grew fond of the body style and am now trying to get excited about the 2011 model.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
off topic,

driving toronto to denver march 15....besides Countrymark in indiana is there any states along the way that have proven "great" fuel available with the Pensylvania standard 2% or more Bio OR a low stated wear scar like the Premium contrymark product in indiana...? (will be going through illinois, iowa, nebraska,colorado)?? advice please...

On topic,

are there any tdi clubbers who run CRs who DONT use additive after reading all this?? would love to hear from the people who dont use PS or Opti or Diesel kleen or stanadyne...etc...

cprtrails

TDI
None yet

And, other vehicles with similar pump designs haven't been having failures to anywhere near this scale.

I suspect that, while the lubricity isn't helping matters, lubricity isn't the problem, here.
I'm willing to bet other manufacturers are seeing similar failure rates. The TDI is used in primarily consumer vehicles as compared to pickups that are mostly business owned and considered commercial in a lot of areas. Private consumers are more vocal when dealing with product issues like this and the government is usually more inclined to get involved. Vehicles registered in company names are commercial and are not held to the same lemon laws in most states as consumer vehicles; in fact most states do not have lemon laws for commercial vehicles.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Do we have specific examples from members on here? I had not seen any failures in Bio-mandate states or from people who had been consistently adding a good quality lubricity agent.
I havn't had a failure, but I have used 4 oz of PS and B2 - B5 for every fill up since I drove it off the lot. I found metal flakes in my fuel filter when I decided to change it early at 8.5K miles. I'm hoping it is from break-in of the car ...

Pic-

Ironically, I'm sitting in a VW dealership as they are doing my 10K service. I left them with a list of instructions to follow. :)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Delphi does have oil-lubricated HPFPs, and PD units run at higher pressure than even the current CR systems and are oil-lubricated.

cprtrails

TDI
None yet
Delphi does have oil-lubricated HPFPs, and PD units run at higher pressure than even the current CR systems and are oil-lubricated.
Are the DELPHI pumps using oil to lubricate the bottom half of the pump? This is common in several different pump designs; the roller on the lifter and contact area of this to the camshaft are normally oil lubricated. The High pressure portion is usually always fuel lubricated.

642 XAG

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI
off topic,

driving toronto to denver march 15....besides Countrymark in indiana is there any states along the way that have proven "great" fuel available with the Pensylvania standard 2% or more Bio OR a low stated wear scar like the Premium contrymark product in indiana...? (will be going through illinois, iowa, nebraska,colorado)?? advice please...

On topic,

are there any tdi clubbers who run CRs who DONT use additive after reading all this?? would love to hear from the people who dont use PS or Opti or Diesel kleen or stanadyne...etc...
There is a co-op in Fort Collins, CO that serves up Cenex Roadmaster B2. It's just off I-25 and exit 269. Take the exit and head west, take your first right, which will be the frontage road heading back north. Its about a mile up the road on your left.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Yea, Unfortunately There Are . . .

Are there any TDI clubbers who run CRs who DON'T use an additive after reading all this??
Would love to hear from the people who don't use PS, Opti or Diesel kleen or stanadyne . . etc . .
:)

Does the Ostrich bury its head in the sand and 'think' that no one can see it? :confused:

Yes indeed, there are those here with their heads in the sand.
Plus other places that shall not be identified ;)
They spout off all the time about how they do not believe that adding any additive(s) is
necessary, and that our D2 here in the U S is just fine and we do not need any additives.

Some of these Russian Roulette Types are, for now, not hitting that one cylinder
containing the bullet, but the game is still relatively young for them.
In other words, time and mileage will tell!

With their luck or lack thereof, plus their lack of wisdom, that bullet may fire after
the warranty is gone, and they will see the error is their shallow thinking!
:p

Time will indeed tell!

:D

D

Last edited:

mypassat_97

TDI
1997 passat TDI
This hpfp goof is a crappy deal. Blaiming owners for putting gas in is just sad. At the Chevy dealer I worked for during college we had a guy with an 08 duramax towed in 3 times in 2 months because he filled up with gas instead of diesel. Made it down the road a coupple miles then the truck just shut off. Guess what, there was no damage, we dropped the tank and flushed everything out and he was on his way. The third time he didnt even want us to drop the tank (he obviously paid the bills himself) we just sucked out all the gas we could and filled it with diesel and changed the fuel filter and away he went. And his truck is still running and coming in for oil changes with no problem.

Ryan

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dumb and Dumber

How did that turkey qualify for his drivers license?

Doesn't a person have to be able to read before they take that test?

Three times! Give me a break. :eek:

D

blue

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
This HPFP deal is making me hesitate on getting a Golf TDI. I was hoping to make a purchase this week. In your opinion, is the 2.5L a better option in light of these issues? I really like the Golf in general (a lot better than, say, a Corolla), but not at the expense of $10,000 repair bills.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make Up Your Mind

This HPFP deal is making me hesitate on getting a Golf TDI.
I was hoping to make a purchase this week.
In your opinion, is the 2.5L a better option in light of these issues? [NO]
I really like the Golf in general (a lot better than, say, a Corolla),
but not at the expense of $10,000 repair bills.

Read everything you can and then decide. No one can do that for you.
You've gotta do it yourself!

If you use a good additive just as many of us do, I can almost
guarantee to you that you will not have any problems.
:p

What $10 large repair bill?

Why are you waiting? 'You have nothing to fear but fear itself'!

Tomorrow will be our TDIs one-year-in-service anniversary. The odometer will read almost 24.5 K miles.
No problems, none!

Having owned 18 diesel powered vehicles beginning in 1966, this JSW is the best of all of them.
That total includes ten (10) Mercedez Benzs, all diesels, from our
1961 190D/b through the last one, a 1999 E-300 Turbodiesel.

You are the one that must decide. No one can do that for you!

Good luck. I hope you will love your new TDI as we love ours! :p :D

D

Last edited:

cprtrails

TDI
None yet
This HPFP deal is making me hesitate on getting a Golf TDI. I was hoping to make a purchase this week. In your opinion, is the 2.5L a better option in light of these issues? I really like the Golf in general (a lot better than, say, a Corolla), but not at the expense of $10,000 repair bills.
If you like the car just as much regardless if it's a 2.5 or a TDI then I'd say lean towards the 2.5. If you have reasons you prefer the TDI over the 2.5 then you'll need to way your options.

In PA, diesel has been on average more the $.50 more a gallon than gasoline so depending on what you would buy instead of the Golf it could be quite awhile before you recoup the premium for the TDI.

I have to admit, the HPFP issue has me a bit cautious on my decision to buy, but I'm not interested in the 2.5, I want a TDI only. All though the problem seems widespread on this site, it still sounds like the failure rate is pretty low so it's a tough call.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in

Read everything you can and then decide. No one can do that for you.
You've gotta do it yourself!

If you use a good additive just as many of us do, I can almost
quarantee to you that you will not have any problems. :p
What $10 large repair bill?

Why are you waiting? 'You have nothing to fear but fear itself'!

Tomorrow will be our TDIs one-year-in-service anniversary. The odometer will read almost 24.5 K miles. :D

No problems, none!

Having owned 18 diesel powered vehicles beginning in 1966, this JSW is the best of all of them.
That total includes ten (10) Mercedez Benzs, all diesels, from our
1961 190D/b through the last one, a 1999 E-300 Turbodiesel.

You are the one that must decide. No one can do that for you!

Good luck. I hope that you will love your new TDI as we love ours! :p :D

D

Call me whatever you like, but I shouldn't have to add anything to my TDI to keep it running with ULSD with no problems.

cprtrails

TDI
None yet
Call me whatever you like, but I shouldn't have to add anything to my TDI to keep it running with ULSD with no problems.
Couldn't agree more. It's bad enough it's significantly more than gasoline. I'd understand if VW required it from square one and indicated it in the owners manual, but that is not the case.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
wow

Gargantuan thread!

I think we can assume that sufficient gasoline contamination WILL occur to do some damage to a significant number of TDIs in the next few years. Based on known facts, this means more failures.

If this begins to blow up to 1000s of failures, a recall is inevitable. Meanwhile Optilube XPD, Power Service, Stanadyne, etc.

I will probably do more frequent fuel filter change (mostly for inspection), and a service interval change of the HPFP at some point if failures to not begin to go into the 1000s. When? I don't know. Probably with the garage door open, when the weather outside is 70-75 degrees, sunny, and no wind.:)

Drive more, worry less!

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Call me whatever you like, but I shouldn't have to add anything
to my TDI to keep it running with ULSD
with no problems.

No one is calling anyone anything! I agree, you (we) should not have to add anything!
But many choose to do so. It is cheap inexpensive insurance IMHO.
How much extra in cents per mile does using any additive cost? :confused:

All I am saying is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Of course, nobody should have to add anything to help our HPFPs live longer!

I spend less than $1.50 per tank to help with the lubricity to perhaps insure that
my HPFP will live for a longer time, It's cheap insurance don't you think?
What I use is supposed to raise the cetane level also.

Many use biodiesel which now costs, in some cases, more to use than
my choice of Opti-Lube XPD, depending on how much bio they add.
In some areas, bio is already in the D2 at the stations already by law.

D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
squeezing in 5 oz of PS is such a non issue about owning these cars(in garage before i go fill every 10 days....1 min maxxxx)....besides...its 5 oz less of diesel i have to buy ! lol

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in

No one is calling anyone anything! I agree, you (we) should not have to add anything!
But many choose to do so. It is cheap inexpensive insurance IMHO.
How much extra in cents per mile does using any additive cost? :confused:

All I am saying is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Of course, nobody should have to add anything to help our HPFPs live longer!

I spend less than $1.50 per tank to help with the lubricity to perhaps insure that
my HPFP will live for a longer time, It's cheap insurance don't you think?
What I use is supposed to raise the cetane level also.

Many use biodiesel which now costs, in some cases, more to use than
my choice of Opti-Lube XPD, depending on how much bio they add.
In some areas, bio is already in the D2 at the stations already by law.

D

And there's really no proof that adding anything will prolong our HPFP's.

I'm getting my oil changed at my local TDI Guru on wed (30,000 miles) and even though not required he's changing the fuel filter and yes we will be looking for metal. Just hope there isn't any.

BTW..I've been buying diesel from the same station and pump for about 10 months now, which equals about 10,000 miles for me.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick

Does the Ostrich bury its head in the sand and 'think' that no one can see it? :confused:

Yes indeed, there are those here with their heads in the sand.
Plus other places that shall not be identified ;)
They spout off all the time about how they do not believe that adding any additive(s) is
necessary, and that our D2 here in the U S is just fine and we do not need any additives.

Some of these Russian Roulette Types are, for now, not hitting that one cylinder
containing the bullet, but the game is still relatively young for them.
In other words, time and mileage will tell!

With their luck or lack thereof, plus their lack of wisdom, that bullet may fire after
the warranty is gone, and they will see the error is their shallow thinking! :p

Time will indeed tell!

D
I would think that most TDI owners don't bother with any additives, they just buy the car, drive it, and fuel it when necessary. TDIClub members are much more involved in the ownership experience than the average TDI owner.

There is no independent evidence linking HPFP failures to a particular cause, either poor design, manufacturing error, or lack of fuel lubricity. We do know that some owners have filled their tanks with gasoline, and it's probable that this is the cause for a portion of the failures.

Some owners believe that the TDI should simply work as expected without any additives. After all, VW is aware of the US diesel fuel quality, and it's reasonable to assume that they designed and engineered the fuel system and all components to run on U.S. diesel fuel without any problems.

Personally, I think that using a lubricity additive is a relatively inexpensive way to protect my TDI from a potentially expensive breakdown and repair.

However, I respect those who feel it's VW's responsibility, not theirs, to identify and fix any problems with the TDI design, and who think it's unreasonable to have to supplement diesel fuel with an additive.

It's certainly not "shallow thinking", it's just a difference of opinion.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Adding PS is a pain. Maybe they'll come out with a really new pump design and a retrofit adapter. A new design was mentioned somewhere here. The D2 has lubricity in Europe, but we can't regulate the refiners to fix ours which they sure could. It's all the refiners rigging the D2 price and producing sh***y fuel so we have to drive gas guzzlers.

Last edited:

SkipCycle

TDI
2015 Golf Station Wagen TDI SEL w/ DSG
Over 400 posts in 10 daze. Pretty intense. I used to get worked up over stuff like this but I guess age is having its effect on me. I gave up on Fuelly a while back because I kept getting 37-38 mpg. Keeping track of it to that degree wasn't going to make it any better and I'm quite content with those numbers for my driving. Mine is a Nov 09 so I certainly don't have the latest version. I have no intention to put gas or additives in it either. I just want to get in it when I need to be mobile and drive it. So far so good.

Sorry for those who've had the issues with it, but if you haven't had problems, please remember one thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.