motor locked up

ja8778

TDI
2010 jetta tdi 6 speed manual
2010 jetta tdi -2.0 cjaa is locked down after turbo change and timing belt change - driven about 10 miles
6 speed manual
timing belt taken off - crank is locked down - plenty of oil -camshaft ok - all cylinders ok
rod caps loosened to find stuck piston - none stuck
crank still stuck
took main caps loose to find spun bearing - all good - crank still stuck
can the clutch cause the motor to lock down or some other "weird" thing
no noise - no indication of any problem when turned off
thanks for any replies to this

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
DMF (dual mass flywheel) is known to come apart on these cars. could be jammed there.

from your post you took off the timing belt, oil pan, and removed all the connecting rod caps. and crank still wont move. only thing left attached to it would be flywheel. Has there been a rattle when driving recently. usually the flywheel starts making a noticeable amount of noise before failing.

ja8778

TDI
no previous noise since t/b work - all in time - turned off - will not turn over - I will be taking the starter and slave cylinder for clutch off in next few days to test and try to see problem - after that - transmission comes out - weird , but things happen

ja8778

TDI
problem found - the front wishbone bolt that goes into flywheel (if it too long)
wrong bolt was installed , also found this had a helicoil installed - pulled it out to replace - end had been stretched
found correct bolt with big washer, when getting ready to pull tranny
thought bolt was tightened with motor running, but was put in when we noticed it was missing, while trying to button everything up late at night
now just have to put all other parts back together
i caused myself a lot of work by not paying attention and double checking