All Keys are lost!!!!!! :( :(

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have a 2005 Jetta and I have lost all the keys. :(

The only key was stolen out of spite. So don't ask me if I'm sure I lost them all. I did. So, I think the fastest way to get a new key is to tow the car into VW.

How do I go about getting an automatic car on and off a dolly when it is stuck in park and I don't have a key?

thanks!

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Your going to need to have a key cut based on your VIN number of your car. The key cut by itself should open the door; however, it will not be able to start the car because the cut key itself is not activated through your cars ECU (immobilizer).

This will require your new cut key and the corresponding key FOB to be activated by using your SKC (secret key code). The black tag in your owners manual will provide you with a 4 digit number. If you don't have this black tag (came attached with your vallet key), you will need to go to the dealership or someone who has a VAGTACHO program to pull the SKC from the ECU. A regular VAG COM cannot pull this code.

Once you have the key and immo chip inside the FOB activated to the ECU, you will be able to start your car again.

I can assure you that this will be a pain in your ass and I'm very sorry of the situation your in. Ironically enough, I just had a spare key cut this weekend for myself through Mark1VW to avoid this very situation.

http://www.sidewinderkeys.com/ A great website and decscription of everything you need to know. Good luck!

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I have a 2005 Jetta and I have lost all the keys. :(

The only key was stolen out of spite. So don't ask me if I'm sure I lost them all. I did. So, I think the fastest way to get a new key is to tow the car into VW.

How do I go about getting an automatic car on and off a dolly when it is stuck in park and I don't have a key?

thanks!
to answer your towing question - your car will be dragged up onto the flatbed car hauler with its wheels locked (in park)...sucks, but that is the way it is...
You should tell the towing company you will need a flatbed for towing...

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
to answer your towing question - your car will be dragged up onto the flatbed car hauler with its wheels locked (in park)...sucks, but that is the way it is...
But that is if it needs to be towed in the first place. I went to the dealership the other day to get a spare key (to prevent a case like this from happening to me) and was able to give them my VIN and they ordered the key. The key came a few days ago and now it just needs to be programmed. I know here in STL there are people who can program your key at your house. My dealership actually gave me the name of someone who could do it for a small fee. If nothing else this saves you the hassle of towing it to the dealer. Also it took me about a week to get the spare key. IMO, I would feel safer with the car at my house the whole time rather than have it sitting at a dealer.

Call the dealer and see if they know anyone who can do programming on site.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
wow, a dealer doing something in the best interest of the customer...from what I have heard you have a unique dealer. I know there are a few of them out there. Its always good to hear stories of positive outcomes of dealers.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
wow, a dealer doing something in the best interest of the customer...from what I have heard you have a unique dealer. I know there are a few of them out there. Its always good to hear stories of positive outcomes of dealers.
Still wouldn't trust them with my car. They offer free car washes for life and I don't even trust them with my car then. I am afraid it will have a scratch or they might start diagnosing problems and quoting me for stuff it does not need. They are good for keys though :D

Nonetheless, see what your dealer can do. There has to be more options. I am sure someone in your area could program the key at your home instead of having the dealer do it. That saves you from the scary towing situation.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Maybe visit your local junk yard? Get new (actually used) keys, lock cylinders, probably ECU and/or IMMO units? Might seem cheaper than the stealership stuff...

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
heck no, even if someone gave you all that, the labor would be terrific and the odometer would be wrong.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Replacement key cost me 75 dollars. This is just the key and not the remote. It basically looks like the key we used and someone pulled the remote off. I will have to get a remote some other time but did not want to fork over another 75 bucks. The programming will cost about 60 when I get the chance to schedule the appointment. I am told it is a really easy procedure but when there are only a few places that do it they can charge whatever they want. Supply and demand.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
How do you get a key programmed without a working key? When I programmed a couple of keys, I had to have a key in the ignition in the on position IIRC, vagcom, and SKC.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
I did some research online and some people are saying you have to contact VW to get a key made. Others say you can get a key but must take it to the dealer to be programmed. I was able to get my key without my car being at the dealership (they had the VIN on file) and I also have the number for a guy who can come to my house and program it.

As for needing a working key to program it, I am not sure. It seems to me that the the key does not have to be already programmed but I cannot be certain. The car should recognize that a properly cut key is in the ignition. I was told by the dealer exactly what truman said above, "I had to have a key in the ignition in the on position IIRC, vagcom, and SKC." But I believe the key could be any key so long as it is cut the same. They get the cut from your VIN.

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well, I'm using VW to fix my problem as dumb as I think they are. lol.

I've ordered a key that will come in 2 days then I will use the cut key to get my car in neutral so I can put it on a dolly and tow it to VW to get programmed. Its a complicated procedure but I believe its the only way to do it.......

thanks for your help.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well, I'm using VW to fix my problem as dumb as I think they are. lol.

I've ordered a key that will come in 2 days then I will use the cut key to get my car in neutral so I can put it on a dolly and tow it to VW to get programmed. Its a complicated procedure but I believe its the only way to do it.......

thanks for your help.
Make sure you get your SKC number from the dealership, write it down and put it in your owners manual.

That 4 digit number is as important as the key itself.

Also IMMO delete would make the car very easy to steal... I wouldn't recommend it.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Make sure you get your SKC number from the dealership, write it down and put it in your owners manual.

That 4 digit number is as important as the key itself.

Also IMMO delete would make the car very easy to steal... I wouldn't recommend it.
I may be wrong but I thought with the newer VW's the only way to get the code was at the dealers as it generates a random number. I don't think the SKC number applies on newer models. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm one way or another.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
:confused: It is a front wheel drive vehicle; flat bed not needed. I had such vehicles towed by a regular tow truck; the boom is extended and the bar is put against the front tires then the rear bar is installed against the backside of the front tires. Boom is then retracted and raised so that the front wheels are not on the ground.

Now getting the car into a position for the tow truck to back up to it is another matter. Perhaps you could borrow/rent some of these:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_auto-repair+wheel-dollies

Threewheelin007

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Mk4
I have an 05 Jetta

I may be wrong but I thought with the newer VW's the only way to get the code was at the dealers as it generates a random number. I don't think the SKC number applies on newer models. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm one way or another.

My Stealership says the car needs to be present to plug into their computer to connect to a computer in Germany as Lee Taylor was saying, no more SKCs since 02 I believe.I have an 05 Jetta and only have a valet key so Im going to have the dealer make me a new valet key with mastercut so I can get a keyfob and remote made at a later date .The inexpensive way for you to do it is have 2 valet keys cut , one with master cut amd programmed so you can get in glove box trunk start it exc... and one valet cut and programmed .Down the road you can do an inexpensive LOL Key fob bladed key cut at Audi dealear ect... and you can get it programmed alot cheaper as you already have 2 good keys .WITH 2 good keys you can get on here and get someone that can get third key(Key blade and fob) programmed for you . Sorry for such a long explaination.
You should get out of it with 3 keys for just a little over what the stealership wants ($325 or so) for just the switchblade key and fob

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well, I got it all done. I had a key with remote cut for $140 then I used it to get my car in neutral. Then I towed it on a dolly into VW where they programmed it for $60 and I'm all set.