Ran out of diesel, how can I start the car?

njcristovao

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I ran out of diesel about 1 mile from fuel station this morning. :(

I got the car towed to my house because it wouldn't start after pouring some fuel in it.

My question is, how can I get the car started? I've read a few things about bleeding fuel lines and filling the fuel filter with diesel?

Does anyone have any experience with what the easiest way may be?

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
crack open a few injector lines at the injector make sure filter is full crank for a few seconds untill fuel spurts out tighten em down and crank till it runs.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
  1. pick up a hand vacuum pump (MightyVac or the like)
  2. pull fuel at the return line coming from the pump until you are bubble free.
  3. as previous poster said, crack the injector lines (17mm open end wrench) one at a time until fuel is coming out. Be careful with this, the fuel is under high pressure.
Make sure your battery is charged up too.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
It would be extremely helpful if you posted the year and model of your TDI. The advice given in the previous 2 messages are assuming you have a 2003 or earlier TDI. The TDIs from 2004 -2006 had PD motors which have a lift pump. To restart one of them, fill the fuel filter with diesel or Power Service, then crank a few times. Ditto on the battery advice.

njcristovao

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I had to pump some diesel from my tank (roadside put it all in, then car didn't start), but everything went pretty smoothly. I'm just glad I had enough juice in my battery left!

Seems like I could have saved the trouble of getting the fuel out of the tank with tditom's method, wish I saw it earlier, but I appreciate the reply. Maybe next time!...then again, hopefully not.

Thanks guys.

My car is a 2002 Jetta btw.